Magick in game.

Started by RunningMountain, April 16, 2006, 02:58:14 PM

For a low-magick world, there sure is a lot of magick being used around. Just curious how everyone feels about this. Are too many players playing magickers over and over? Should we cap the amount of magickers in game? Should magickers be forced to wear the gem more often instead of being allowed to just roam around.

I see this problem much like the mul issue that came up long ago. It seems I can't make a lone hunter nowadays without running into a defiler or magicker within the first week of adventure.

Thoughts?

-RM
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

It's a phase.  There is always someone complaining about too many magickers, or too many half-elves, or too many Kuracis, and such.

Quote from: "Marauder Moe"It's a phase.  There is always someone complaining about too many magickers, or too many half-elves, or too many Kuracis, and such.
That's because there always are too many half-elves, magickers, and Kuraci.
Back from a long retirement

If there are too many ______ the solution is to kill them. ;)
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

Quote from: "Vanth"If there are too many ______ the solution is to kill them. ;)

HEAR HEAR!

I have not been playing outside of the cities and been an antisocial one at that, and have not been playing too intensely, so I don't get to see any people at all, let alone if they are magickers or what not.

But like six months or so ago, when I was spending all my time on arm, there were a lot of magickers around.  It was like, you would trip over a magicker if you just walked around no matter what part of zalanthas you are on.  And it was not just for a short time, it stayed like that for quite a long time as far as I can remember.

Back then I would love a change to put down a limit over the number of magickers.  If it is again so, I again vote for such a change.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Compared to some games, even with a largish population of magickers at current, we are still a low-magic game.  How many people are running around with magical gear?  In many games, the answer is, "Everyone."  In Arm, the answer is almost always, "Wait, someone's got magickal gear?  Ooooh."
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser""Wait, someone's got magickal gear?  Ooooh."
OOoooh. Who?
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I always thought "low magick" meant that the magick and schools of it, were highly unrefined and primal.  So unlike other settings, where there are 40 different schools of magic, ranging from Wizardry to Necromancy, and everything in between.  Zalanthases magick is basic, mostly unexplored, and hard to use.
So they can't mutter words and build towers, or teach an whole army how to toss fireballs.  In other settings, Mage is a profession, not a curse.

Not to mention VNPC population is freaking huge, meeting three magickers in the desert is just bad luck.  Comparing that to the worlds population, I bet a good solid 1% are magick capable and even fewer know about it.

As for the player base?  People play the game to have fun, so they are going to do what they think is fun.  Personally I don't understand why any one is concerned.  
No one works 9 to 5, 5 days a week, comes home, and then wants to log on and be a kankshit pusher or tavern jizz mopper.  They want adventure and magick and shit.  People don't want to go from one boring life to another or at lest I don't.  The player base is always going to be a little extraordinary then the general populace and I don't see anything wrong with that and there should be nothing worng with that.

Quote from: "Random Newbie Kank"As for the player base?  People play the game to have fun, so they are going to do what they think is fun.  Personally I don't understand why any one is concerned.  
No one works 9 to 5, 5 days a week, comes home, and then wants to log on and be a kankshit pusher or tavern jizz mopper.  They want adventure and magick and shit.  People don't want to go from one boring life to another or at lest I don't.  The player base is always going to be a little extraordinary then the general populace and I don't see anything wrong with that and there should be nothing worng with that.

Words well said.  I for one enjoy and look forward to the tension a well played magicker provides.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

We know when you are sleeping, we know when you're awake, we
know when you're on the North Road so I say a word and you will bake!

Maybe it's not so much that there are so many magickers but rather the
magickers that are around, get around? That's what I think, anyways.

Muahahahahaha,
- Magicker Kank

Magickal currents swirl around the brown kank.

The brown kank utters an incantation.
The brown kank flashes violently, then disappears in a haze of smoke.

Quote from: "Random Newbie Kank"As for the player base?  People play the game to have fun, so they are going to do what they think is fun.  Personally I don't understand why any one is concerned.  

That's the problem. You can have fun and adventure and not be a magick-user. Whatever happened to good old fashioned rangers, warriors and the occasional bard-merchant travelling with you. Now you pretty much have to have magickers travel with you, or you're going to be lunch for people who do. I remember the world being far less magick-saturated when I was playing back in the day.

Pretty much encountering someone casting was a 1/100 shot. Now if I enter a room with a pillar I'm thinking "oh shit, am I going to accidentally see Someone casting?"  That's just my thought.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Quote from: "RunningMountain"
That's the problem. You can have fun and adventure and not be a magick-user. Whatever happened to good old fashioned rangers, warriors and the occasional bard-merchant travelling with you.

Seriously.  If someone is a mage, and that means they're more powerful than you, that's the breaks.  There are PLENTY of warriors and rangers in the game without people mandating that only 6 mage types can ever exist in the game.

You have fun your way, I have fun mine.  Don't be jealous because my mage can roast your ranger.  Hatah.

Armageddon is still relatively low-magic, compared to many other games, as spawnloser said. Also, any sort of system for "capping" the number of magickers would be incredibly impractical, as well as inherently unfair. If I created a magicker, then logged out and left the game forever, how long would my character idle there before it no longer occupied a "magicker slot"? And what happens if I came back the day it was filled? Would we have an over-capacity of magickers, or would I just get a note that says, "sorry, you suck at life, so your character isn't magickal anymore".
RunningMountain wrote:
QuoteNow you pretty much have to have magickers travel with you, or you're going to be lunch for people who do.
This is definetly exaggeration. At least, I've encountered nothing like this in-game. Let's be honest, for most types of magickers, the player is going to have to devote something like that ten or twenty days of his life to get the character to a point where they can pose a real threat. In the meantime, any random yokel can type "flee self".
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Quote from: "davien"
Quote from: "RunningMountain"
That's the problem. You can have fun and adventure and not be a magick-user. Whatever happened to good old fashioned rangers, warriors and the occasional bard-merchant travelling with you.

Seriously.  If someone is a mage, and that means they're more powerful than you, that's the breaks.  There are PLENTY of warriors and rangers in the game without people mandating that only 6 mage types can ever exist in the game.

You have fun your way, I have fun mine.  Don't be jealous because my mage can roast your ranger.  Hatah.

Don't be mad when my ranger indirectly rapes your enchantress of doom. :wink:

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

I think it's just you. I for one, have only ran into one or two magickers with my outdoor pcs in the last several months.

Like anything else, the numbers come and go. Everything has a rise and fall like the tides.

No need to panic and assume that because you happen to be running into alot, that must mean -everyone- is and there's too many in the game.

I don't feel there is any need to cap the numbers of elementalists.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Perhaps people are seeing magicker Bob and saying "wow! That's inspired me to create a really cool magicker character" and so they do.

One thing to also consider is that magickers are more potent than other characters, so they may appear in greater quantities than they actually are.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Perhaps there are just a couple out there that play a lot and get around all over the known world? Making it -seem- that there are a whole bunch of random magickers, when in fact the few out there just get around to a ton of places.

Mayby I am off... but I seriously doubt that.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Easy solution.

KILL EM ALL.
subdue thread
release thread pit

As it's been said in a dozen threads five times over, these things also seem to go in waves, too. There may actually be a higher than usual amount of magickers right now, doesn't mean there will be later. Doesn't mean those same magickers will be around in a few months time, they've got the same death rate, maybe even higher, than any other character.

So say they do put a strict cap on magicker characters. There can only be X amount of each element in the game at a certain time. While this may cut back on what seems to be your average characters perception of an overpopulation, it'll also cut back on magicker-to-magicker interaction, as clearly not all of those magickers will be in the same area, or the same time zone. So you've got magicker characters, who have no other magickers to play with, and are generally disliked by your common populace. Who will likely eventually get fed up because of this lack of interaction and decide to play in the common populace instead of a magicker, and discourage some people from playing magickers at all if they know the slim chance of the interaction, leaving very few PC magickers at all, cutting everyones chance of RP with them.
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

Besides, pointless tavern-sitting gemmers don't count as magickers. They're just pointless stupid gemmed people who need to get a life. ;)

So we're down to very few magickers, buddy.

Quote from: "Kalden"Besides, pointless tavern-sitting gemmers don't count as magickers. They're just pointless stupid gemmed people who need to get a life. ;)
Who says they aren't doing something magicky?

Quote from: "RunningMountain"For a low-magick world, there sure is a lot of magick being used around. Just curious how everyone feels about this. Are too many players playing magickers over and over? Should we cap the amount of magickers in game? Should magickers be forced to wear the gem more often instead of being allowed to just roam around.

I see this problem much like the mul issue that came up long ago. It seems I can't make a lone hunter nowadays without running into a defiler or magicker within the first week of adventure.

Thoughts?

-RM

I believe there's too many upper level magic users about in game.  I've seen atleast 4-5 different higher level (not extremely high, bot not your bottom line either) in the past month, as apposed to never seeing them in my previous characters four year ig history.  Which is staggering considering the previous character was from 'nak.  I personally don't have a problem with rock, or water's in game, I believe they have a great place.  Especially in 'nak, in a territory that might actually have all of its water supplied by them.  But yeah phases come and go, I personally want to see them go.  We as a player base are really becoming bombarded with all of these incoming violent roles at once, and it's pretty tough to handle, with the immediate power given.

EDITED: toning it, might be giving off too much ic =P
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

Quote from: "FightClub"[ We as a player base are really becoming bombarded with all of these incoming violent roles at once, and it's pretty tough to handle, with the immediate power given

Define too tough to handle?  Do you mean the game is too hard for you?