Magick in game.

Started by RunningMountain, April 16, 2006, 02:58:14 PM

My take: certainly magicker classes are far more powerful than others. This is fine, their power is moderated by the fact that they are outcast socially and even actively hunted in large areas of the world.

I also don't think, barring some huge world-changing event, that magickers will ever become more accepted or more actively employed than they are now.

Actively hunted? I think that's wrong to assume PCs are going out and actively hunting any magick-user right now. They're too strong.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

There is a reason why magickers are karma based is we trust the players in these rolls to play them responsibly.  You can argue to you're blue in the face about how you know this or that about them, but it doesn't change the fact that we've balanced the system by balancing access to them.  

Life here and on Arm is not fair, anyone who tells you otherwise is selling you something.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"And Blind fighting was a new skill added for mundane fighters, so the ratio of new non-mundane to mundane new skills are alot:1. Not saying that is good or bad, but for a low magick game, it seems like a lot. When over half the guilds are magick related, seems like a lot.

Have we already forgotten the watch skill?  I'm hurt.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"Well intrepid, If you log on and see all 7 magickers and only 10 mundane Pcs, then yea. that is way too much. Other pcs will log on and see 20 people and no magickers. I logged in yesterday and saw 4 mundane Pcs and 2 magickers. That's 50% to me. I'm not exaggerating.

May not be overall, but that is how they are to me. Magickers aren't spread out sometimes.

And Blind fighting was a new skill added for mundane fighters, so the ratio of new non-mundane to mundane new skills are alot:1. Not saying that is good or bad, but for a low magick game, it seems like a lot. When over half the guilds are magick related, seems like a lot.

Editted to add: When I last played in Allanak I would usually see 4-6 Magicker Pcs and 6-8 mundane ones Pcs.

You know, a lot of us have been waiting for years longer than the last
tweak to the combat system to get new spells and fixes to old spells.  The
fact that they're coming in spades in the past year or so after years of
neglect does not illicit sympathy for the mundane classes in the slightest.
They'll get their turn, just as they always have.

As for the magickers being popular in Allanak, I can't say I blame them.
It's the largest pc area in game and has been for a long time.  The mages
concentrate in Allanak, yes, and in public areas.  Whereas the mundane
classes can flock anywhere, like the Rinth and mundane clanholds where
you might not find them to compare to their true and accurate numbers
to the mages in the city.

Maybe, instead of claiming the mages in Allanak are too many, you should
be asking the mundane pcs to come out of hiding?  Both claims seem
equally reasonable, if you will.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

Quote from: "Morgenes"There is a reason why magickers are karma based is we trust the players in these rolls to play them responsibly.  You can argue to you're blue in the face about how you know this or that about them, but it doesn't change the fact that we've balanced the system by balancing access to them.  

Life here and on Arm is not fair, anyone who tells you otherwise is selling you something.

Since the karma system is flawed, I think this needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Trust is so easy to put into text it seems. If you really knew how plenty of your karma-bearing players break rules and policies daily, it might not be so.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Quote from: "RunningMountain"Since the karma system is flawed, I think this needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Trust is so easy to put into text it seems. If you really knew how plenty of your karma-bearing players break rules and policies daily, it might not be so.

This takes me back full circle: Everyone else is wrong and you're right.

Definitely bias.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

Quote from: "RunningMountain"Since the karma system is flawed, I think this needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Trust is so easy to put into text it seems. If you really knew how plenty of your karma-bearing players break rules and policies daily, it might not be so.

Flawed in your opinion, and I'm sure others, however as you well know there are other games out there.  If you really hate the way this one is run, feel free to find another that'll meet your expectations.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: "Intrepid"

This takes me back full circle: Everyone else is wrong and you're right.

Definitely bias.

Not everyone is wrong, just most people. I've played long enough and been one of the worst players of the game, (maybe I still am) but I know a lot of things too.

Quote from: "Morgenes"
Flawed in your opinion, and I'm sure others, however as you well know there are other games out there.  If you really hate the way this one is run, feel free to find another that'll meet your expectations.

Hey, I love this game. I'm just trying to voice my opinion, and I fully respect yours. I just think it's flawed is all. I don't think the fact that magickers are karma-required makes it a viable solution to obviously a problem, since so many people are voicing their opinions on it.

Ok, I feel like everyone has had their say in the 13 pages of posts and we are now circling around and around.

If you have specific ideas on what needs to be changed can be mailed to mud@ginka.armageddon.org.  For now this conversation is over.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff