Where did you start out?

Started by Antigone, April 13, 2006, 07:47:18 PM

Age of Legend: Tales of the Lance, a few random muds, Armageddon.

I started at AoL, which was, and still is a H&S/RP encouraged mud, about 10 years ago, and after a couple years, became imm there.  After about a year, the owner of the mud and I had a skirmish (yeah, let's call it that) because we disagreed on how to handle a player who the owner thought was twinking (he wasn't).  He ended up banning me from the mud.

I hopped around for a while, looking for a RP mud, and ended up playing at a particular one - I cannot remember the name now, and someone there was irked that I refused to break from my character's rp, and he finally told me to try a RPi.  "What's a RPi?" I asked.  "RolePlaying Intensitive.  Like they do at Armageddon Mud."  Cue lightbulb.  He also warned me that "there's a steep learning curve", and that "they eat newbies."  

I like challenges.  So I checked Arm's website out, spent about 6 hours reading the docs, and nervously made my first character.  I also co-founded another RP-enforced mud at about the same time, which flopped pretty quick (I later found out RP-enforced muds are one of the hardest muds to establish from square one, as opposed to H&S converting to RP - like Arm).  A couple short months later after the floppage (about a year after I started playing Arm), I was invited to become an Imm here.
And that's my story.
Ash

Achaea > Lusternia > Armageddon. (don't ask how)

SDF mud -> The turning point -> Armageddon

I found SDF by using a linux shell on a remote site to do a website, I was fiddling around and typed "games" in which I saw MUD - Multi User Dungeon

So I checked it out.. it was hack and slash, I then migrated to the turning point, not remembering how.. From there, it shut down and a friend I played with on there sent me here and I've been here every since.
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

Hello, I've been playing for a few months, but I'm a first-time poster :) Anyway...

Medievia  :oops: -> Materia Magica -> Imperian -> Armageddon

The things that attracted me to Armageddon were the lack of "donation items" that were in all three of the other games I played, the whole RPI thing, and permadeath :twisted:.
ow Armageddon will end:
> Tektolnes does unspeakable damage to Zalanthas' head with his bludgeon.
> Zalanthas crumples to the ground.

Did some freeform roleplaying when I was 10. Well in love with Baldur's Gate II at twelve. Did a whole lot of RP chatting (ten minutes+ between replies, more like a forum really) that's when I first experiences the thrill of how random player interaction can create fantastic intrigues by mistake. Tried Achaea for a couple of hours, couldn't stand the grind and unrealistic skill system. Since my sister is hogging most of the bandwidth recently my über fps and rts skills declined to nothing as I couldn't play properly I searched on wikipedia for a gritty and semi-realistic MUD and arm caught my eye. After a few hours of breathtaking action and an unfair and dark death in the rinth I was hooked.

L.O.R.D., Achaea, Accursed Lands, CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON.

Quote from: "rufus"L.O.R.D., Achaea, Accursed Lands, CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON CRACKAGEDDON.

Rufus, how's Accursed Lands? I heard its incredible as well. How many players does it have at peak hours?

Lusternia for like, ever, then became an Imm there shortly after I began to play Armageddon about 2 months ago, definately glad I came around here, though Lusty was fun for the niche it filled.

Right here, baby.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

This should be interesting.

Tempered Steel  :arrow: Rafermand   :arrow:  The Fifth Element   :arrow: The Afterlife  :arrow:  Realms of Discordia  :arrow: Armageddon  :arrow: Brief lull in which I played none  :arrow:  Realms of Discordia [Chaos Ascending]  :arrow: Armageddon  :arrow: nursing school  :arrow: Armageddon

I immed on...hmm...three of those muds.
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

Sojourn/Toril/Basternae/Duris -> Armageddon.

I've logged into countless others for anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks. GodWars (or something like that) I found interesting for a short while. Basically, though, I started off mudding at Sojourn, but was disappointed at the lack of roleplay. I stumbled across Armageddon one day in my search for something better, and in a frightening lack of inhibition for me, I dove right into writing and submitting an application. Five days later, or so, I was hooked on Old Tuluk alone. Took another couple of characters before I had one that visited 'nak. ;-)

While I've been an inconstant player, given my hectic personal life, I've played some character or other for as long as I could at least once a year for the last 10 years. My playing Armageddon has been interspersed with occassional fits of playing Duris, which I'll have to credit as the best HnS/PK MUD I've played, or whichever incarnation was substituting for it. Armageddon still wins my vote for the overall best MUD I've played in terms of theme, playability, player loyalty and enthusiasm, etc.