Remember, Remember

Started by LauraMars, April 06, 2006, 02:09:00 AM

I think a nice addition to the INTERNAL MONOLOUGE commands that we have...think and feel, there could also be a remember command.

Inspired by someone on one of the recent "feel" threads, who said they wished they could think in images, or have a more seamless way to narrate.

Our past influences a lot of our present!  The remember command could be a great way to flesh out characters.

Proposed syntax would work exactly like the feel command.

You CAN do something like:

feel memories of your childhood passing through your consciousness, as you recall your second birthday, when you finally decided to become an elite assassin and join the Sisterhood of Badass Gurlz.

With a remember command it would...I don't know, encourage retrospective focus on concrete events rather than vauge things like feelings.  Maybe it's redundant, but what do you think anyway?

remember how you almost died to protect your little sister Tigglebunny Fale of the Blue, only to watch her succeed you in rank and block you at every turn.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I think I just got hard.

Also, it was a good idea.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Oh, and here's an example of how it might look in conjunction with the think and feel commands.

You remember seeing your parents brutally slashed to death by a gigantic obesely-bearded man with claws wearing a red wool suit.

You feel sadness and despair at your memories.

Feeling your grief overcome by rage, you think,
   "I will kill that red mothafucka."

You remember where you put your badass metal sword.

You think,
    "Fuck yes."

So you see it can be a whole scene, one with which you can explain your actions much more fluidly to whoever might be watching, and yourself.

I like it.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

There's nothing wrong with the idea, but we already have two similar commands, and I for one (and probably not the only) am having a hard enough time reminding myself to use them. First of all, I think the two existing "internal monologue" commands are already sufficient and can easily be used to portray whatever you wanted to remember. And second, if this gets implemented, I suggest making it something that people aren't expected to use in the way 'think' is. I don't know about how everyone else roleplays, but I feel that I have a harder time concentrating on RP'ing with others when I have to squeeze in thinks and feels. I wouldn't have a problem with 'remember' being implemented, but I personally don't think it's necessary, and I hope that if we do get it, that it's not something that we're expected to use and that will be commented if we don't.
b]YB <3[/b]

"Remember" could be a nice command - essentially Think with a different echo.
I am more interested in a Visualize or Imagine command myself.

Perhaps the Think command could take a verb?

> think [imagine] (fear and trepidation) a gigantic crimson-shelled silt horror that suddenly appears, revealing its Krathi powers!
Feeling fear and trepidation, you imagine a gigantic crimson-shelled silt horror that suddenly appears, revealing its Krathi powers!

> think [think to yourself:] Okay, that was nasty.
You think to yourself:
  "Okay, that was nasty."

(Note how there's a colon added to the last Think, which brought the two-line format).

It could be a bit confusing, I guess, but I think it would be awesome.  I used to have visions all the time when I played a magicker and the matter of formatting them properly always annoyed me.  Yay to more daydreams!
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Personally, I'd rather not see a command like this.  Think and Fell, IMO, are enough.  You can accomplish any internal dialogue with those two commands.  But that's just my opinion.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Is it alright, then, to use the think command to portray vivid mental images and memories?

Quote from: "Tamarin"Is it alright, then, to use the think command to portray vivid mental images and memories?

Yeah, I do that with my PC's.

think *image of me kicking templar Joe in the balls seventeen times*
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

That's cool.  The only problem with that is because of the new feel code, you can't surround an image with asterixes because the mud parses that as the argument for feel within thinks.

Would it be possible to remove that function of think, but just for *s?  I think most people probably use ( ) and [ ] to enclose their feelings anyway.  I know I do, and I'm pretty average.

Quote from: "Hymwen"I don't know about how everyone else roleplays, but I feel that I have a harder time concentrating on RP'ing with others when I have to squeeze in thinks and feels.

Just as an aside, you shouldn't get too stressed out or feel unduly pressured to add thinks and feels to your roleplay.  If you think the staff need more fully-fleshed updates as to what's going on with your character's head, mail the mud and your clan imms, or write biography entries in your spare time.  Balancing character interaction with internal growth is something that happens gradually over the course of a character's life, and nobody is expecting you to suddenly be able to type 100wpm faster than normal when intense roleplay is going on.  This is a game for fun, not carpel tunnel.  If you forget to use think and feel now and again, that is ok.

And yes, for the love of god someone take out the asterick formatting if we can't have an "imagine" command.  It drives me up the wall.

I like the idea of a REMEMBER type command.  When I played a solo, ranger-type character, it would have been nice to have something like that.  It would help your own personal storyline flow better as well.  You can FEEL, THINK, and Talk to your kank all you want, but it is limiting.  Plus I don't think it would be that hard to implement this, would it?
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Just as an aside:

Isn't this sort of what the 'biography' command is for?
Tlaloc
Legend

Quote from: "Tlaloc"Isn't this sort of what the 'biography' command is for?
I see the Biography command as completely separate from the PC.  I could document something one way in the biography and have my character look at it completely differently in his thoughts.
I also like it better when my character's thoughts are more complete.  I wouldn't like to do something like this:
You think:
  "Okay, wow.  Having tea with that defiler was scarier than the time I almost had sex with a Nilazi (see biography 3 paragraph b)."

I see the Biography as a place where I summarize the entire life of my character, but I try not to think about biographies when I'm in the middle of play.  I write biographies when I have nothing to do IG and then I forget about them.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "Tlaloc"Just as an aside:

Isn't this sort of what the 'biography' command is for?

Sure, but 'Remember' would be fluid. 'Bio' is not. I'm for it, as an added tool.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I'm against it, we have enough tools.

As it was I was able to internally portray these things with just the think command alone. I don't want to end up feeling like, as a player, I have to go through this huge complicated process (using three or four different commands) just to potray one simple thing.

Think and feel are plenty good. Let's stick with the K.I.S.S. method at this point. We've enough tools to display these things.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

People dislike the wording, 'you think:'

People would rather have an oppertunity to echo, 'you remember:'

It would be exactly like the think command, only with a different echo userside.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one