Hrmm?

Started by Seeker, March 22, 2006, 08:59:05 PM

WHY can't you change your walking speed when you are sitting?

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Quote from: "Seeker"WHY can't you change your walking speed when you are sitting?

...Because you are not walking?

I'd contend that a person at rest has no need to change how fast they are moving.

I jest! I do understand your concern. I'm sure it was never really thought of before as something of importance by staff, though. *shrug*
Quote from: LauraMarsThis is an unrealistic game.

(which is part of its appeal)

No doubt. *flex*

I don't think there's much IC application in the fact that you can't change your walking speed while sitting, and it is merely an oversight by coders.  However, I think this is going to be debated most heartily, and people will bring up muscle tension, real life examples, and intent to run or walk in their arguments for and against.  Rindan, LoD, Synthesis, or Marko may make an appearence with a brilliant essay that logically defends every point they choose to cover!  I'm on the edge of my seat.

But seriously, I am for it.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

You know what.  They should make it so when you sit down it automatically changes run to walk.  I mean who runs up to a chair, sits down for a few hours, then runs away.  After standing up, you got to walk at least a few feet before you start running.  Got to get the blood in the legs.  :D
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Quote from: "Aldiel"You know what.  They should make it so when you sit down it automatically changes run to walk.  I mean who runs up to a chair, sits down for a few hours, then runs away.  After standing up, you got to walk at least a few feet before you start running.  Got to get the blood in the legs.  :D

Well... at the risk of my PC, I have to disagree with that...  :lol: kidding... heh.... heh..... heh..... Anyways, I've seen lots of people, primarily shrimpy little guys who aren't in very good favor with a dwarf or half-orc, get lopped upside the head with a big stick, and -want- to just make a vline for the door, but alas, were not able to. :cry:  Poor guys... never saw them again.

I can.  I don't know why the rest of you folks can't.  Just raise your feet up off the floor and do it.  :P
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Elves run everywhere.

I'm for it.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Sometimes you don't sit or rest intentionally and want to be running still when you stand up.  I'm against the auto-switch.

I am for being able to switch while sitting/resting, though.  There've been a few times i've wanted to, at least.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I'm totally for the autoswitch to walk while sitting, and totally against the changing speeds WHILE sitting.

I mean, you're not moving.  Why do you want to change how fast you're NOT moving?

It does get silly when people run out of the taverns.

I also think that taverns with guards should check to see the speed at which people are moving, and block them if they are running.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I'm against an auto switch. I'm for being able to change it while sitting/resting if you wish. Seems realistic enough to me that you can jump to your feet and take off running.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I also strongly disagree with an autoswitch for a number of reasons. For one a delf wouldn't just feel like walking after sitting a moment, and what a pain to type walk every time you stood. Yes I know about aliases, not discussing them.

Decieding if you are going to walk or run when you move should have nothing to do with your current position.

The other thing that is irritating is when you flee, forget you are running, get on a kank, now the kank is ruuning, but if you want him to walk, you have to dismount,  type walk, then get back on the kank.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

There is a reason why it says "You speed to to a run."
your mother is an elf.

Quote from: "Moofassa"There is a reason why it says "You speed to to a run."
Yes it is to tell you you are no longer walking, what does this have to do with your current position, considering you actually haven't moved yet?
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

Oh, I hadn't really read the argument at all.

But, for the sake of the argument. At one point in your acceleration, you will be at walking speed. Therefore, it is impossible to stand, and run instantly.

You must, Stand-Still, Crawl, Walk, Jog, Run, Quick Run, Sprint.

(chuckles to himself, shrugging)

Chew on that travel cake.
your mother is an elf.