Old school Armagger here from mid 90's

Started by LargeElvenJunk, March 19, 2006, 04:00:37 PM

If Armag was out in the 80's I could have come back all retro with a mullet and stuff. Oh, wait, I am in wearing flannel and listening to Pearl Jam / Nirvana, or maybe not. Anyway, I played Armag from around 1995 to about 97/98 and stopped playing when I graduated from college and focused on being a mature, responsible adult! I was at either the first or second Arm players meeting too. It was in Iowa, I seem to recall at a school campus, and a rousing good time was had. While vacationing in Md one year, I met a guy and hung out with him and his wife. Very happy memories. Anyway, it was great to see Armag still alive and prospering! I remember the times of 30-35 players being an awesome night. I logged in and saw 75 the other night!!! WOW!!! Nice to see Arm has a little niche with all the graphically based games out there. I must say, the changes in the game since I last played are just astounding. Arm was a cool game then for its realism, but the staff seem to have outdone themselves. Anyway, hello again everyone, any other mid 90's peeps here?

One right here.

Oh the stories from those days.... :)

We want to hear the stories!
b]YB <3[/b]

No you don't.   :lol:

But, as a tasty morsel, there was this dwarf.  He spoke like a pirate and thumbed his nose.  Within months almost every dwarf spoke like a pirate.

We called them the Ironsword Pirates.  Yaaaarrrrr.  

I <3 Ironsword.

Brings a tear to my eye to see other oldies around *sniff, sniff* It was kind of wierd seeing the "bug" again after all these years. For both reasons.  :P

Started playing in 1994. Enjoyed having an ale at flint's with some strange characters.

So.... a templar, a halfling and a mantis walk into a bar...

Ouch.

Started right about when you left.  98.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Started in 94, for about half a year.  Stopped when I finished college.  Started again in grad school a few years ago.

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Mid-nineties for me too.  I think that if you ever had the option to play a mantis you should be considered an old-timer.  :-D That or arm-wrestled that peg-legged mul in Flint's.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

What is Flint's? Some bar, or what?
Mr_Fire-
~Let others screw light bulbs in water faucets. Who cares?~

WHOA! There are no PC Mantis anymore??? You cannot choose to be one with enough karma or something??? I played _ONE_ PC mantis, but I forget my name and/or desc. There was a BAD ASS white shelled PC mantis back in the day. He owned everyone. He used to walk down to Nak and kill stuff. lol

WHOA! There are no PC Mantis anymore??? You cannot choose to be one with enough karma or something??? I played _ONE_ PC mantis, but I forget my name and/or desc. There was a BAD ASS white shelled PC mantis back in the day. He owned everyone. He used to walk down to Nak and kill stuff. lol

Mantis, Halflings and Gith are all closed to PCs.   :(   But if you can get a couple hundred of your closest friends to play they may be re-opened!
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

What about PC's from some exotic mating like a the offspring of a Scrab/Beetle lovefest!!! I could make an awesome Scrabeetle!!!! I seem to recall an occasional allowance of a PC Gith, but I dont recall them having their own PC clan per se, I do remember a thriving Halfling and Mantis PC clan though. Kind of sad they went by the way side. There used to be all those mentioned PC's, and then Gypsies, Black Moon, Black Wing, the Guild, and I am sure I am forgetting some things.

Yep, started in '98 as a giggling high school girl, left for a few years when in college.. could have logged in, parties were more important that 'Geddon and homework. Graduated somehow.. came back when I moved to a boring somewhere in the Midwest. I think it's the midwest..  :twisted:  Now, I play when I can.  :cry:
You do know that MUDsex is not a coded skill, right? -Nidhogg

I made my first pc in 95-96  

But I was never part of the in crowd. :)

I fondly remember spam-casting in the Khomar garden around 94 or 95.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote from: "Twilight"I fondly remember spam-casting in the Khomar garden around 94 or 95.

Did the soldiers burst in while you were there?

I've been playing off and on since the 7th grade which was uh... geeze, 1992 I think :)  I'm also amazed and grateful for how far the game has come since then.
atthew Fung
www.ambushpaintball.com/armageddon
www.homepage.mac.com/matthewfung
matthew@ambushpaintball.com

Made my first in 92 also.....hey, lets all sit around the fountain and talk and practice spells and stuff.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: "X-D"Made my first in 92 also.....hey, lets all sit around the fountain and talk and practice spells and stuff.

Sure, lemme finish killing this belgoi raider and i'll be right there.
atthew Fung
www.ambushpaintball.com/armageddon
www.homepage.mac.com/matthewfung
matthew@ambushpaintball.com

Ya'll remember the inventory bug that forced you to put everything in your backpack back in your backpack every time you logged in.  God, I miss those days.  

:-D
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Ah, the old days.  Doomsbringers and the Archmagi.  Levels.  Experience.  
Quadyana and the Balzed Star.  Delver.  DM.  Warlocks.  Shadowdancers.

My favorite were the wagons, drawn by huge lizards that you commanded from inside the wagon.  I recall one day in particular when I discovered that not only could you order the lizard to talk, you could order it to tank and it was a cleric class, so I could even order it to 'cure serious wounds' on itself.  

I always chuckled when I visualized this:

Stone Road [EWS]

The long, wooden wagon has arrived from the south, pulled by a giant lizard.

>l
Stone Road [EWS]
A long , wooden wagon is here, pulled by a giant lizard.

A giant lizard says, "Get in."

Anyhow, how far the MUD has come since those days.  It will be interested to see how it progresses in the next few years.

-LoD

I just remember Azroen being amazingly easy going. I'll never forget him. Ever.