Age of characters

Started by My 2 sids, March 09, 2006, 03:15:57 PM

Should we do away with character age?

Do away with ages:  they're not needed
0 (0%)
Keep ages:  I'm too lazy for change
1 (2.6%)
Keep ages:  Charater age should be important for character creation and role-play
37 (97.4%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Voting closed: March 09, 2006, 03:15:57 PM

Currently stats and starting gear are not affected by age.

There have been huge debates over age-play...  often with players and staff expressing little difference between age categories (youth, adult, elder)

According to one recent birthday debate many feel characters should/ would celebrate every year or even count the years of their birth.

So my thinking is if it's not needed, why bother with it?
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Stats are affected by age. Or maybe I just misread you're message?

Skills aren't affected by age.  That's the line in the character creation section.

Skills -are- affected by starting location.
Stats -are- affected by age.
Stats -are- affected by guild.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Ok, help me out here.  Am I missing something?  I'm going to assume you don't mean make everyone "ageless" where they're all unaffected by the flow of time.  That's just such an awful idea I can't wrap my brain around it.  Age is a result of the passing of time.  We, and the people of Zalanthas, are mortal and thus suffer from the passing of time.  You can't do away with age and still have the passing of time.  That's absurd.

So you've got to mean something else.  Could you explain?
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

What Halaster said.  I'm not sure I understand the question.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

I think the original poster wants the have characters stay at their starting age and not get older. Which I disagree with.
b]YB <3[/b]

Zalanthans aren't Sims.

....Although...I now want to create Sim characters based on my armageddon ones.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Since gender brings no coded difference nor any social/political/emotional difference to RP, I think we should do away with genders, too.
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

The muscular, gargantuan-breasted it is standing here.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: "jhunter"The muscular, gargantuan-breasted it is standing here.

Not it, just use race.

The muscular, gargantuan-breasted human is standing here.
The muscular, gargantuan-breasted elf standing here.
The muscular, gargantuan-breasted dwarf is standing here.
The muscular, gargantuan-breasted mul is standing here.
I like it!

It is slightly bizarre to refer to people primarily by reproductive function.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Yeah, I just figured that "it" would be a bit more entertaining.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: "Hymwen"I think the original poster wants the have characters stay at their starting age and not get older. Which I disagree with.

Things would be boring if that was so.

Could the 'it' mudsex itself?

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: "Angela Christine"

Not it, just use race.

The muscular, gargantuan-breasted human is standing here.
The muscular, gargantuan-breasted elf standing here.
The muscular, gargantuan-breasted dwarf is standing here.
The muscular, gargantuan-breasted mul is standing here.
I like it!

It is slightly bizarre to refer to people primarily by reproductive function.

Angela Christine

Normally I would agree with you, but it really sets up a few things for me.
One such thing is, I know the race that has the most amount of people, because if it doesn't have a race listed, it is usually human. Another thing is that using every race like that furthers Arm into a more "fantasy" setting somehow. Like I'm playing a hack and slash.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

If I play an ageless genderless character...does that mean that I can reproduce by asexual fission or not, since time doesn't pass?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Maybe the author intends to make the age invisible, similar to skill levels - and simply have the following: adult, mature, Ancient Dragon by the name of Monkey RAMBO!!!! ... etc.

Semper Pax,

Dirr

Okay, I'll explain my poll.

I'm trying to make sense of what I see as hypocritical.  Namely, we have a code that is affected by age and players have to choose an age....  Yet there are a lot of players (and even Staff) who then turn around and ignore age when it comes to role-play.    

If the very old and the very young are socially/ physically/ and economically treated like average adults, what's the point of playing the very old or the very young?    

If the majority of PCs aren't going to bother observe their day of birth or even remember counting them... why have a birthdate?
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Who cares about a birthdate? I don't like to celebrate my own, IRL. I don't like celebrating other people's either.

We have age and stats for the people that want to RP them out. I forone enjoy roleplaying my characters weakness (like real damn low agility) and strengths (being a con artist), while ignoring things my Pc can't really use to help them (like being 42 years old).
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Finally!

I can play a vague, androgynous figure!
 n
[Near]
The lauramarsian, female human is standing here, patiently.

You think:
 "She almost makes it too easy..."

This post was most likely written by a belligerent drunk, please chase with salt.

This is absurd.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev