Can't remount my erdlu!

Started by JRB, March 06, 2006, 03:04:00 AM

Doh, bought an erdlu, mounted it, rode it out of town, rested it, now it's too small for me to remount.  Suggestions?
he two-page description man has arrived from the west.

Ditch some of your stuff? You might have picked up a bag full of bricks or something that your erdlu can't carry.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Nope, I simply foraged once, with no result, rested and mounted again, it was exactly the same as the condition I bought it in.
he two-page description man has arrived from the west.

I've had this problem before, as well, a few times. I think it's a problem with erdlu's in general, but I'm not sure. When you view'd your erdlu, did it say 'will probably support your bulk'? Always view your mounts before purchasing.

Give a quick wish, briefly explaining your problem.

wish all Sorry to bother, but my erdlu refuses to carry me after I dismounted after purchasing it. If anyone could help out, I would appreciate it alot.

^ has always worked for me.

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

When you buy any mount in the game you are forced to mount it after purchase.

So if you buy a mount that can't codely support your weight then you will never be able to remount this mount.

It is a bug that let you on the first time, you should really do the view thing.

Quote from: "Anonymous"It is a bug that let you on the first time, you should really do the view thing.

Nah, view doesn't help at all. Mounts you purchase come in somewhat random sizes, and they may differ from the mount "on display".

WP is absolutely right. Size shifting among the beasts of burden is extremely poor roleplaying on their side and staff deals with them harshly.

Quote from: "the Shade of Nessalin"This is a known bug.  When you run into this wish up and someone can usually adjust the mount to carry you.

I thought when you viewed a mount for sale, it told you whether it looked as if it would be able to support your weight or not.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Quote from: "Cuusardo"I thought when you viewed a mount for sale, it told you whether it looked as if it would be able to support your weight or not.

It does, but as I said above, I believe erdlus have a small bug in them. I like erdlu and the RP opportunities that come with riding one, so through the years I've bought a dozen or so, and maybe half of them have had this problem.

Sometimes they'll carry you for hours, mounting and dismounting, then they'll have a geek-out and simply refuse to work. The Immortals are usually quick to help solve this problem, as it's not an IC problem, but a problem with the code.

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Never buy an erdlu. IMO, they are frequently too small to be of any use.

-Williamson
"Let sleeping characters sleep naked." -Azroen

An Erdlu is a bird.  Who wants to ride a stupid bird?  I'm telling you, Kanks are where it's at.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Mount NPCs have a range of strength levels that they may have.  If I remember right, view will give a rough indication of what the average (as opposed to minimum) strength of the NPC you wish to buy is.

When you actually buy the NPC, an NPC is generated.  Several things happen here.  First, you are set to riding it without a check to see if it can support your weight.  Second, the strength of the NPC is set, in the range for that NPC template.  In the olden days, mount strength used to get set twice.  It loaded with one strength, and then the first time you stabled it and got it back out, it set the mount's permanent strength.  But this has been, to my knowledge, fixed.

However, when you purchase a mount you can be set to riding a mount that you otherwise cannot ride.  So you can end up dismounting and not being able to re-mount.  This is mainly a problem for human-size races and erdlu, however half-giants may experience the problem with other mounts.

My suggestion would be to roleplay strength training your mount with increasing loads over time and sending the logs to the immortals, but only because it would probably give them a good chuckle.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Erdlu's are cool.  They're fast and light and tall and perfect for a tiny little scavenger to run around on.  I imagine they're quite bouncy, too, so you can bounce up on your erdlu.  *shrug* They're not as strong, but hey.

THEY'RE GIANT BIRDS YOU CAN RIDE ON.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Erdlus always smacked a bit too much of chocobos for my taste.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I've wished up about it in the past and an Immortal adjusted my erdlu's strength.  There was no indication on viewing the animal that it couldn't carry me.

Unfortunately, unless things have changed, you will just be facing this problem at some point down the road with your erdlu as mount stats seem to change every reboot.

Erdlus may remind you of Chocobos from the Final Fantasy series of games, but, in Australia, there are people who ride ostriches, and since I'm sure Final Fantasy wasn't around during the creation of the Dark Sun TT modules, this RL application is probably where the creators got their idea.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870