Weapon discussion: Flip

Started by Morrolan, February 12, 2006, 04:24:18 PM

Coders:

Would it be possible (and fairly easy) to code most weapons as "flip"able to bludgeoning (with very low damage), to reflect pommel-strikes?

I know that Arm is not a highly intensive H&S, and if this were going to be as much work as, say, coding left and right gloves, then no way.  But I am curious as to how hard this would be.

Opinions?

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Hey crazy, it's already in game.

Edit: Oh, uh.. shit I'm dumb. I guess it seems like a decent idea, but I don't see much of a need for it.

Remember that a lot of the coders don't read the boards.  Maybe you should mail the mud or idea this in game.

By the way I kind of like it.  It's a badass mental image to think of a master warrior reversing his diamond-pomelled greatsword and banging the hilt into someone's head.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

There isn't much a need for mirrors to reflect your description and gear, but some of them do it anyway.  

Because it's neat and adds a touch of realism.

I just discovered that "flip" doesn't work -in- combat.  Not sure how I feel about that, either.  Another thing to send, I guess.

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

'Use staff/sword/shotgun' works fine in combat.. Remember to add an artistic emote about the flipping before/after :)
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Quote from: "Cenghiz"Remember to add an artistic emote about the flipping before/after :)

I always emote coded actions in combat, it IS optional though.. just so we don't frighten uber noobs like AC or, CRW.
your mother is an elf.

Quote from: "Morrolan"I just discovered that "flip" doesn't work -in- combat.  Not sure how I feel about that, either.  Another thing to send, I guess.

Morrolan

For the LONGEST time I couldn't figure out how to 'flip' stuff in combat.

It is indeed 'use'.

Now... you shall fear my uber flippin' skills.  Yo.

what the hecK? I have to see what this "flip" business is about.

I don't really know how I feel about this.  I mean sure it's interesting, but why can't you just emote it?  Who's to say every attack your character makes codely is hitting with the blade?
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Aldiel, when you're attacking with a sword...and you slash someone, you hit with the blade.  It's doing slashing damage, and the type of damage being done is important in most MUDs.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I'll go out on a limb and say with the way the system is currently set up, it's unlikely that you would see this happen across the board to all weapons due to the vast quantity of weapons in the game already.

Additionally, flipability is ment for items/weapons which have a blunt end, specifically used for bludgeoning someone to death/submission, and not for whacking them upside the head with a pommel.
Tlaloc
Legend

Quote from: "Tlaloc"with the way the system is currently set up, it's unlikely that you would see this happen across the board to all weapons due to the vast quantity of weapons in the game already

Thank you, that's the answer I was looking for.

I was hoping there would be a way to code them en masse with a generic "pommel" weapon (low damage/lousy parry), but ye who knoweth the code have spoken.

Morrolan