The Two (or even Multi?) Headed Beast

Started by The Anonymous Kank, February 06, 2006, 05:37:29 PM

Something I've yet to see done on a MUD is to allow two players to inhabit a two-headed creature together.

The possibilities would be hilarious. Think of some dumb brute walking down Caravan Road, arguing with himself and getting annoyed to the point where it starts slapping its own faces.

Or members of the staff teaming up to occupy a five-headed talking hydra. I'd love to see that.

It could be implemented with a notion of the "controlling" head that manages the legs and movement. The heads could fight for control in a battle of wills, or relinquish control at will. If one of the heads is asleep (e.g. disconnected), the other automatically has control.

Hit submit a bit too soon. Each head would have its own sdesc.

Sighing, the shambling creature's toothy right head says, in sirihish:
  "Uh... Rocky? Rocky? Wake up!"

Stirring fitfully, the shambling creature's misshapen left heads says, in sirihish:
  "Huh? Whatdja want?"

Fidgeting with his right hand, the shambling creature's toothy right head says, in sirihish:
  "Go to go, Rocky. Go to go and you got the key!"

Snorting, the shambling creature's misshapen left head says, in sirihish:
  "Ah shaddap, ya moron."

I've seen a PC with two heads before.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Were there two people playing him, though?

Yeah, I heard there was a two-headed half-giant.  Played by one player, though.

It's an interesting idea, but you'd always have to log in at the same time as your partner.

Probably a better solution would be to have one character but two people sitting behind the keyboard, if you really wanted to have a seperate person.\

EDIT: or some fancy client modding to allow two people to be inputting commands at the same time from seperate computers.  :D

Is that illegal to have 2 different people play the same PC?
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Illegal?  Uh, no.  Against the rules of Armageddon?  Maybe, though it's kinda the opposite of multi-playing, isn't it?  Regardless, you'd certainly let the staff know and approve before attempting such a stunt.

Not just playing the same PC, but playing the same PC at the same time. It would require some coding changes, although I've seen it happen by accident on a buggy MUD and it actually worked.

Nah, like I said, I bet you could make a plugin or script for a client to accept text from a remote user and send it to the MUD, and send any responses back to the remote user.  No changes to the game code would be needed.  As long as each player made sure to note which side their actions came from, it might work.  It think it's be easier and better than having two codedly-different PCs that describe a seperate head.

Having one player play both heads remains the simplest way to do it, though.

Two (or more than two) players can not play the same PC. This is against the rules of ArmageddonMud.
Tlaloc
Legend

Thought so, so the only way I'd see this working would be a mind bender that thinks that you should say things.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Honestly, I see little value in this other than comedic, and that ranks up there with baby-talking half-giants.

It would suck to log into your character and find out some OTHER shmuck got you killed.  Bad enough dying to your own mistakes.

Are there any two-headed sentient creatures on Armageddon?  I don't think there are as far as anyone knows.
Back from a long retirement

Are you counting zombies as sentient? I think I've seen one before.

Quote from: "Delirium"Honestly, I see little value in this other than comedic, and that ranks up there with baby-talking half-giants.

No? Once the necessary coding was done, it could be extended to situations like:

- a relatively benevolent psionic parasite (or even symbiont) can attach itself to a human host and share his or her experiences and even participate in them, and transfer between hosts at will (a high karma role)

- a race that reproduces by fission; once the "mother" has recruited "the daughter" they have to live as more or less one being for a while before the fission occurs

- a race that lives independently most of the time but can "fuse" together (two or more individuals), creating a form with some special abilities

Oh well. I have the impression people don't want to see new races and creatures, so I suppose this isn't a selling point.

I agree on the not selling point. Fa-reak-ey.

The logistics of two people playing a role like that?  That'd be horrible.  I wouldn't want to try it.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "Anonymous"Oh well. I have the impression people don't want to see new races and creatures, so I suppose this isn't a selling point.

No, it's not quite that, it's this:

Quote from: "Tlaloc"Two (or more than two) players can not play the same PC. This is against the rules of ArmageddonMud.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I like this idea from a "wouldn't it be funny if.." point of view.  But the coding that would be involved to have 2 PC's joined into one body would be more than it's worth for a few laughs.  Good idea, but don't expect to see it.. ever.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Quote from: "spawnloser"The logistics of two people playing a role like that?  That'd be horrible.  I wouldn't want to try it.

Yea, both players would have to keep up with everything that happened.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Heh.. I know it's an odd urge but...
I'm +7EST.. This means an american player's possibly sleeping when I'm playing and vice versa.
I wonder what would happen if I agreed with another player for a magicker, possibly a magicker. Then one of us will try to play a 'good' personality and the other would try to play an evil magicker. We'll log in to the same account, he will log in during the EST peak and I'll log in during the European peak.
We won't know anything at all about what the other player has done. Our char will have a severely split personality. So maybe I will wake up one day just to see a few human heads in my lap, crumpled in a cave, or he will wake up and wonder how the feck he got to Cenyr. We won't know each other's friends and enemies. Possibly the evil personality will try slaying any friends of the good personality, but eh.. Maniacs are dangerous.
When I get the sorc. karma one day, I'll try to persuade the staff to actually do this with someone from USA. Living in Luir's, one identity tries to hide his sorcery at all costs - or maybe he's even unaware of it - and the other seeks for more power and magick...
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

That would be a lot of fun.. but as Tlaloc has said.. that's against the rules.

I would love that though. I'm a fan of split personality pc's :p
your mother is an elf.