In-game Editor Updates

Started by Tiernan, January 31, 2006, 08:26:06 PM

I've spent a couple weeks working on the in-game text editor to fix a couple bugs and present a consistent interface.

Features & Fixes:
    -- Exceeding the maximum length does not auto-terminate editing, it merely reports that the line was not accepted.
    -- .h actually displays the editor list of commands now.
    -- .x <cmd> replaces .d <cmd>, as eXecute is more intuitive.
    -- .d# replaces .R# as Delete is more intuitive.
    -- .r displays a 75-char ruler.
    -- .q terminates editing like the '~' character on a blank line.
    -- Maximum character size always displayed.
    -- Create / Append mode is displayed to give editors more feedback on which mode they are in.
    -- Updated "editor" and "write" help-files.  (
To be copied over when the server is rebooted).[/list]Here's what the in-editor help list looks like:Help on text editing:
.c          clear the text.
.d#         delete # lines from the end of the text.
.f          format the text into ONE paragraph.
.h          show this message.
.i          format the text into one or more, indented paragraphs.
.p          proof / spell check the text.
.q | '~'    terminate editing.
.r          display a 75-character ruler.
.s          show the text so far.
.x <cmd>    execute command <cmd>.

Here's a sample of how the editor first appears when writing on an in-game message board:Write your message.
Text Editor: (4096 character maximum) [create mode]
Type .h on a new line for help.  Terminate with '~' or .q on a new line.
[---|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----]
->

Limitations:

I wasn't able to find a quick solution for deleting specific lines other than the last X lines or a way to begin inserting into the text at a specific line number.  I have some ideas on how these may be done within the existing editor framework, however they are particularly complicated and I wanted to get these changes into the mainstream.  I'll revisit making further editor updates based on time, need, and priority.  I think these changes will make dealing with the editor less cumbersome.

Thanks!

I've always wished that ".h" to actually did something. :D

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Hallelujah.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Beautiful, Tiernan.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Love the ruler bar, and adore ".h".

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

This is very cool.

Thanks!

*wince*

Can we get a replace command?

like .r sowrd sword

*grovel*
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Quote from: "Tiernan"Limitations:

I wasn't able to find a quick solution for deleting specific lines other than the last X lines or a way to begin inserting into the text at a specific line number.  I have some ideas on how these may be done within the existing editor framework, however they are particularly complicated and I wanted to get these changes into the mainstream.  I'll revisit making further editor updates based on time, need, and priority.  I think these changes will make dealing with the editor less cumbersome.

Prioritizing.  I like it!
Back from a long retirement

I have a younger sibling who often comes to my place and watches me arm for a few minutes. He called me the other day asking me how to pull up a help menu. I told him it was .h.... we troubleshooted for about an hour to no avail. Thank you.
your mother is an elf.

Can we get the editor updates for the character creation section, too?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "mansa"Can we get the editor updates for the character creation section, too?

Char-gen is also handled with the revised editor.  The only place that doesn't use the revised editor is mudmail from the external menu.  Typically correspondence with the staff is managed by email not mudmail and I felt that the system is probably better off as deprecated.

You rock, Tiernan.  Thanks!
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Out of curiousity, is the new stuff in yet, or do we need to wait on a reboot?

Next reboot.  Curse our outstanding stability this week!  (Okay, not really, I like seeing the server run from Saturday to Saturday without a crash).

Way to jinx it, Tiernan.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

The whimsy of the god (staff) is the law and reality of man(player)kind.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.