Curiousity the halfling, killed the newb

Started by Jarod550, January 06, 2006, 02:32:02 AM

I'm curious, from the website, everything I read about halflings is they are supposed to be wise and non aggressive, not ran by things like greed and envy.  Why then do the halfling npcs attack pcs all the time?

I was just curious.

Comments please,

Jarod

Quote from: "Races doc"Foremost, halflings are extremely carnivorous and will readily consume nearly any freshly killed creature--a practice which tends to turn the stomach of others. Also, by the standards of other races, halflings are a backward and savage people (not to mention dangerous).
Quote from: VanthA well-placed grunt can be worth a thousand words.

Quote from: "From the Docs"The halfling diet consists primarily of fresh kills from the hunt (halflings regard all animal species as potential food stock, including the other intelligent races but excluding other halflings), but they are well able to subsist on food which humans, elves, and dwarves find palatable as well.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Well that sorta don't make sense.  I'm a non aggressive halfling, who seeks no war for money or land or greed or anything.  But I want to eat your HEAD!

Jarod

Quote from: "Jarod550"Well that sorta don't make sense.  I'm a non aggressive halfling, who seeks no war for money or land or greed or anything.

Jarod

Makes perfect sense. Their motivation for attacking other intelligent races...is purely for food, not for any of those other reasons.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

They're extremly territorial and they consider humans the same as animals, so when they want food, they don't make a difference.
Quote from: VanthA well-placed grunt can be worth a thousand words.

Jarod, a while back, halflings were opened up for play and some of us played them.  I will not go into the details.  Still, I will say one thing...they are not greedy and they do not conduct war, they hunt.  Everyone else just happens to be labelled 'prey' in their eyes.  It's that simple.  They're not attacking us out of anger or jealousy, but for the same reason you would hunt any non-sentient critter.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

They are  very tiny, two-armed mantis.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

They just don't see other humanoids as intelligent beings, instead, we look like a big mac in a box with a backpack of fries on our back.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

LOL
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

I recall seeing a movie, some kind of comedy based on star trek. It was about some alien species that summoned up bunch of actors who played in star trekesque series, thinking them a real thing. So they summoned up bunch of actors, gave em a real ship that was designed by the specs of the movie and sent em off as champions defending that alien peaceful gullible race from aggressors

Well in any case, during one instance the actor crew descended down into the planet and met those cute grey short beings that cooed all cutely, smiled all cutely, with large cute eyes. Untill eventually ... they opened their mouths, and boy ... did they have teeth. Halfling's kind of like this, except they dont each other, only others.

Lost in Space.
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

Actually, I think that was Galaxy Quest.
..and the puppet explodes.

Yes, Galaxy Quest.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

tim allen movie. krath.

Yes, halflings are wise and peaceable, and they only hunt humans for food when humans are in their territory, but MOST HUMANS PROBABLY DON'T KNOW THIS.

and by human i mean in this case: player character. PC.

Quote from: "Jarod550"I'm curious, from the website, everything I read about halflings is they are supposed to be wise and non aggressive, not ran by things like greed and envy.  Why then do the halfling npcs attack pcs all the time?

I was just curious.

Comments please,

Jarod

territorial nature maby they felt you violated their territory maby
dd my msn if you want, longvaladrien@hotmail.com

Your PC would know to stay the hell away from them, because they are extremely dangerous.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Ah, it -was- Galaxy Quest.

And I think halflings are very scary.
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

Halflings have a culture and mindset that is, at best, foreign and pretty convoluted when put into the perspective of the more 'civilized' races in Zalanthas.

The fact that it's so alien to outsiders limits how much we can even know or figure about them-- it's pretty much like trying to analyze the social/physical/mental habits of gorillas or some other animal. While we can glean some kind of understanding, it might be more than impossible to know the 'whole deal', living as most of our PCs live, and being who they are.

They're just a different animal. And Halflings never waste a good meal when they need one.
"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing." -- Shunryu Suzuki

Try looking at it from the halfling's point of view. I mean, what brought you into contact with them in the first place? It's not as if these guys are rampaging about the Poet's Circle, eating babies. No, the city-state of Tuluk and halfling society have coexisted in relative peace and proximity for a very long time, mostly because they've stayed the hell out of eachother's way. Chances are YOU went to THEM.
Why did that halfling kill you? Was it because he is a mad, bone-crunching savage with a Napoleon complex? Perhaps. Or perhaps it is because you came marching into THEIR forest, looking to cut down THEIR trees, and pick THEIR fruit, and hunt THEIR game. I don't care what a peace-loving bunch of tree-huggers those halflings might happen to be at heart; no Zalanthan is going to stand for that. How can you be surprised when you find a spear sticking out of your head? You were tresspassing, stealing and poaching, after all.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Or in one hilarious experience of mine, a dart of d00m.
It goes through skulls like a hot metal knife through fake butter.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

anyone remember that dinosaur series?

Those dinosaurs would just open the fridge and there was a bunch of little nasty things in it begging not to be eaten... But they were just food, and the kids were reminded never to talk to the food  :D
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

They were only opened for a few months, over one summer. I believe the idea was to give people who really wanted to a chance to play around with the unique culture, but since the race is so isolated, they could only do so for a limited time so as not to take away from the playerbase at large.

From my understanding, they were only opened for TEST play.  They were closed again because testing was over.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I too recall them being open for testing purposes only.

I think was with a group that killed one. :D

or it could have been just a well done script, or an immortal. it was long ago, I don't recall.

Err... Why do civil folks hunt jozhals? Jozhals are cute.. Their chirping is a nice sound. Their pelt looks good to the eye.. They're also bipedals and somewhat close to humanoids and they're somewhat intelligent.
But they are 'food'..

Humans, elves and dwarves look close to the halflings. They're intelligent, they're humanoids.. But they are food.

Heading to leave the tent, the male halfling tells the female halfling:
     "While you tan the hides, I'll see if I can hunt a human.. I want some human meat pie for the dinner."

Scraping the surface of the pelt on the surface afore her, the female halfling tells the male halfling:
    "Oh please do choose one with some meat on the bones. Maybe head to the road and pick one passing in silks?"
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Quote from: "Cenghiz"Err... Why do civil folks hunt jozhals? Jozhals are cute.. Their chirping is a nice sound. Their pelt looks good to the eye.. They're also bipedals and somewhat close to humanoids and they're somewhat intelligent.
But they are 'food'..

Humans, elves and dwarves look close to the halflings. They're intelligent, they're humanoids.. But they are food.

Heading to leave the tent, the male halfling tells the female halfling:
     "While you tan the hides, I'll see if I can hunt a human.. I want some human meat pie for the dinner."

Scraping the surface of the pelt on the surface afore her, the female halfling tells the male halfling:
    "Oh please do choose one with some meat on the bones. Maybe head to the road and pick one passing in silks?"

Now that makes more sense...  Nice scene you painted there.

And halflings are supposed to be dangerous, if you go out and kill them regularly, are you twinking?  I mean if you can, because you think they are filthy little creatures, is it "okay?"

Just curious,

Jarod

If you regularly hunt halflings, I would suppose you need a good roleplay reason for it.  Maybe not because this is "frowned upon" but it's just like telling the immortal staff, "Hey, look at me kill these halflings!  OMG I am so 7331!!!1one" as you kill things indiscriminately for no apparent reason.
The few reasons I can think of hunting something *regularly* in the wilds in Zalanthas:

It provides food.
It is a nuisance or an immediate danger.
It possesses something that is needed.
You were ordered to.
It is hindering you from doing something else constructive in the same area.
(for the sake of space, I'll leave out other reasons related to unusual circumstances, or dwarves with a focus to kill halflings)

Gather what you will from the above and decide exactly why your character would be hunting halflings themselves.  Are they providing food as a small, ankle-biting tasty treat?  Are they a nuisance to you or your party as you travel through?  Do you need something from them?  (Note:  super lootz probably is not a "need")  Did your superior tell you that he or she wants six halfling heads on a plate?

I do not know the staff's opinion on this officially, but to answer your question more directly and as you quoted it:

QuoteAnd halflings are supposed to be dangerous, if you go out and kill them regularly, are you twinking? I mean if you can, because you think they are filthy little creatures, is it "okay?"

If you are killing them just because you can and because you think they are filthy little creatures, I would always watch my back, because one day your character will encounter a situation in which whatever roleplay reason you have for hunting halflings will pretty much mean nothing to the roleplay of them eating your character's body.

I've seen instances where PCs who regularly went out looking to kill sentient NPCs like halflings or gith started getting mobbed by hordes of them whenever they went out on rides. So if you start slaying halflings for sport or because you think they're filthy, they'll get smart and probably band together and take you down and then eat you.
subdue thread
release thread pit

Or just eat you. More to themselves, right?

Going out and killing things just because you can usually would classify you as a rampaging homicidal maniac.  When the halflings/gith/mantis/etc realize that it's one person who keeps coming along and killing their brothers, they're going to take measures to eliminate the threat that you've become.  And I warn you, none of these races are as stupid as you might think they are.  They won't just sit back and let you pick off their tribemates forever.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Quote from: "Cuusardo"Going out and killing things just because you can usually would classify you as a rampaging homicidal maniac.  When the halflings/gith/mantis/etc realize that it's one person who keeps coming along and killing their brothers, they're going to take measures to eliminate the threat that you've become.  And I warn you, none of these races are as stupid as you might think they are.  They won't just sit back and let you pick off their tribemates forever.

That would probably be an very interesting roleplay situation... However it would most likely lead to my character dying, which wouldn't make it his realistic goal... damn damn...

Jarod

On the other hand, the goal of exterminating an entire species would make a decent combat dwarf character focus.  Good reason to train, rise in the ranks of certain militaristic organizations, or even form one yourself.  There's probably even more creative ways of going about such a task too.

Granted, you'll almost certainly never succeed and probably even die in the pursuit, but it would make for a decent dwarf.

Quote from: "Marauder Moe"On the other hand, the goal of exterminating an entire species would make a decent combat dwarf character focus.  Good reason to train, rise in the ranks of certain militaristic organizations, or even form one yourself.  There's probably even more creative ways of going about such a task too.

Granted, you'll almost certainly never succeed and probably even die in the pursuit, but it would make for a decent dwarf.

I've never made on of those hairless stumpies...  Maybe I should after my fellow dies.

Jarod