~I ask/s this

Started by IAmJacksOpinion, January 02, 2006, 03:07:14 PM

Sometimes when you're emoting, you realise that to make what you're saying gramatically correct for all parties, you need one person to see one form of the word, and another to see it with a suffix.

I'm not sure if I explained that well, so here's an example.

emo hoists his knife, taking careful aim as ~figure run.

~figure is going to see:
Bob hoists his knife, take carful aim as you run.

Everyone else is going to see:
Bob hoists his knife, taking careful aim as the figure in the cloak run.

That just, isn't right!

I know it would be hard to code, but maybe something like

emo hoists his knife, taking careful aim as ~figure run/s.

How it would work is, you would have to use it only after a target, (ie ~figure, or !figure, etc.)  The target sees the word up until the '/' and everyone else, including the emoter, sees the word without the '/' in it.

So now, the target would be able to see
Bob hoists his knife, taking careful aim as you run.

and the observer would see
Bob hoists his knife, takign careful aim as the figure runs.

It might be hard to code. I'm only halfway through a Visual Basic class and I -know- I wouldn't be able to do it, but luckily the imms are much better coders than me.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

I've thought about this several times.  A lot of times my emotes come out slow because I have to re-write them because of grammer problems like that when more than one target or viewer is involved.

I'd like to see something done in this regard.

I've wanted a way to do this for so long.  I think that would work splendidly.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Agreed.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

A way to do this would be great.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I have to agree with Agent. Would be VERY convenient, but not having it wouldn't kill anybody (hopefully), just slow the game down a little.

Yeah, I've come across this before...but I could survive without it too.  I agree, though, that it would be nice.  I still see some people doing like we've always done, adapting our sentence structure to make the grammar right.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I'm used to not even using "him" and "his" that turn into "you".  I'm used to emotes being awkward.  You really get the idea either way.  I always make my emotes agree for the majority of the people.

I could care less what -I- see; I do, however, care what others see. Therefore, I fashion the emotes to be correct when viewed by the audience.

Semper Pax,

Dirr

QuoteAs you will have noticed, the grammar is incorrect for what the red-
haired woman sees. Alas, this cannot be helped; in general, try to
make the emote grammatically correct for what most people will see.

This is what the help files say and I pretty much agree. I don't care how I see my own emotes, as long as they work out grammaticaly to the majority of any other PCs in the room.
'm into the desert on a horse with no name
It feels good to be out of the rain
In the desert you can't remember your name
'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain

I played a mud that did this before and it actually created a lot of hassle when you wanted to do a good emote. so people stuck to basic emotes and socials, it sucked.
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

Yeah, I can live without it too. I also format it so that if everyone can't see it right, at least they get the gist. And I know what a bitch it can be to work with strings of code. (I'm the integer masta, but strings are hard)

Even so, I think it would be quick and easy to use if someone could find a way to code it. *shrug* I highly doubt armageddon's going to fall back to socials (socials suck, I'm glad we don't have them. They're the bain of RP games)
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org