Artifacts and unique items

Started by JustThisGuy, January 02, 2006, 08:41:41 AM

Something occurred to me as I read another post elsewhere.  If this is already implemented, please let me know because I think it is too good of an idea to not be implemented.

Since unique items require some sort of special implementation by Imms, is it possible to put a flag on it as such?  If so, would it then be possible to have any unique items possibly drop as artifacts when a player holding one dies (after the body decays of course)?  Code wise, I think you could just create a *small* DB of artifacts which have room numbers attached to them.

Anyway, this would enhance gameplay in two ways: Unique items which took time to create and implement would continue to exist in the world, and foraging for artifacts would take on a whole new dimension.  Treasure hunting would become a hobby for some.

To put it in perspective, suppose this code was implemented at the time of one of the great wars.  I'd bet even money at least one of those characters had a unique item and got killed.  When that character died, the item 'dropped' into the artifact db (again, after the bodies decay, game reboots, etc..gots to give them scavengers a shot at it).  Years later, after the war is but a memory, someone goes to the site hoping to find something historical.  They forage for artifacts, and maybe they find that unique item.  I'll leave it to the imms to work out the details on chances of discovering something and the chances of a unique item becoming an artifact (all unique items should not automatically drop as artifacts.  There would be a potential for ooc abuse in the form of killed players returning to their spot of demise with a new char to retrieve their item).  As time goes on, so lessens the chance of finding a lost artifact, requiring a higher skill in foraging.

What do you think?   :D

While I understand the purity of this...

...it could either let loose things that the Imms are not ready to have let loose within the game...

...or things they want to let loose, they can't, because it's in this artifact database for people to forage for.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Point taken, but couldn't this be addressed when determining the chances of said item being dropped as an artifact and also in its chances of being found?  Call it a discoverability (I know it isn't a word) variable on each object (although, I don't know that the Imms should be too concerned once the item is given to a player b/c that always carries the risk of someone else getting it).

Expensive hobby. With a very tiny chance of recovery of something you could sell.. I just don't know anyone with a reason to buy some old decayed longsword, unless it is a magicker.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I wasn't and am not advocating for a treasure hunting skill.  I was just looking through the help files on forage, noticed the artifact switch and thought it might be a good way to both employ this switch as well as preserve items that add more flavor to the world.  I just figured someone would be bound to develop a treasurehunter character if it were implemented.

After after a large battle the winning side is going to scower the corpses and find anything that rare anyhow.

Though, as a side-note, adding old, cracked armor and weapons to areas after big battles would be sweet. (if they don't do it already. I never forage artifacts)
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

What makes you think this is not already implemented?

I wish there was a way that when unique items fall into the shops that they are not lost on a reboot or crash.

I do agree that it would be cool if unique items would remain in a shop's inventory from reboot to reboot.  It would of course introduce new problems with shops, but with some tweaking I think it would make the economy more dynamic and realistic.

Have you actually tried foraging for old things... I know on three occasions where quite valuable and quite rare items have been found through the forage command. Give it enough time and you will be pleasantly surprised.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.