Sleep

Started by My 2 sids, December 29, 2005, 11:11:36 AM

People have talked about making changes to hunger and thirst in an effort to add harshness to the game.  How about one other basic need?  Rest.

I know we've had sleep discussions before but I think I've found a code-wise compromise.  First, understand that I'm not saying sleep every night; this would be like thirst and hunger where it just comes up every so often.  Second, most PCs do have some sort of  clan housing they should feel comfortable enough spending time sleeping.  Third, we speed up the time sleep takes to regenerate so the player isn't wasting a ton of time.

Okay, how about if code would provide a chance for light sleepers to be able to wake up should they sense trouble?  What if there were a way to have the PCs wake w/o anyone typing the wake command?  That would be a safer way to sleep yes?  

Well, how about we use something similar to the listen skill?  That is when a PC goes to sleep there would be a way so that anyone entering the room would have a chance of immediately waking the PC because the sleeping PC could hear them approach.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Yes, we've discussed this before.  Yes, realism is great...but playability is great too, and shouldn't be interfered with by realism.

I think that no matter how we implement this, it WILL get in the way of playability.  Something that we should be able to accomplish in 20 minutes in real life takes 5 hours of typing...which is better than 3 days IG.  ...but it's only a conversation between my character and the templar, an important one...but then we both fall asleep half way through it?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I don't think forcing people to roleplay sleep will help add harshness to the game.
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"

While I appreciate the realism involved, I wouldn't enjoy being forced to spend my IG time sleeping.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Not something I can see happening.

I prefer to assume that a character does most of their sleeping while you're not online playing them.

Zalanthans are just stranger than Earth humans, in that they can go days without sleep, but then turn around and sleep for days at a time?  Sounds good to me!
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Well, if it helps, I really like the idea. I've often thought that it's just not realistic that you don't have to sleep, and alot of times, just sleep on my own, for the sake of roleplaying. True, it's possible that they can go days without sleeping, only to have to make it up with several days of rest. Or you could do like on My Favorite Martian where he gets all his rest in a few seconds. But I really think that some sort of tiring should be implimented, even if it can be patched up in a few rl seconds of sleep. Just have it drain stamina or something. Not like the amount of time it takes to sober up for a newbie character... just a minute and a half or so. But, as Halaster said, I don't see it happening, so I think it's one of those things, if you think there should be a regular sleep cycle, take the initiative to rp it out on your own.[/img]

While it would provide an avenue for people to be killed in their sleep (though I think it should be harder to do that) I feel that there should be a limited number of things that suck away player's time, and that water should be the formost on the list of these things.
Back from a long retirement