Feel

Started by flurry, December 07, 2005, 08:48:26 AM

I just had an idea that might be crazy but I kind of like it.  I'm interested in hearing what you think.

I was thinking about the think command, and how it is a great roleplay tool even though, at first blush, it seems like a nothing command until you get used to it.

So here's my thought.   What if there was a "feel" command, akin to "think" but for emotions?

e.g.
>feel a wash of intense jealousy.

You feel a wash of intense jealousy.

This would mainly function in the same way as think, to aid roleplay and to give imms some insight into what your character is feeling.   This seems like it would be especially useful for cases where it wouldn't make sense (or would be awkward) to put emotion into a think or to otherwise work it into your roleplay.   Or if you're trying to mask your emotions by acting delighted even though you're enraged, for example.

Your thoughts?
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

I fit feelings along with my thinks.

think *a cold wave of terror* Fuck! Magicker! I better get the fuck outta here!

No change necessary to incorporate that into your play.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Well, why not, although I've been putting emotions into thinks. For example:

think *rage*
think *smugly* Stronger than any mul.

Having a separate feel command might allow for an empath perception skill (or mindbender skill).

Initially I thought you were going to suggest a feel sense.

> feel sandcloth
The piece of dun sandcloth is coarse and slightly hairy to the touch.

> feel girl
Feel girl where?

> feel girl brow
The purple-haired girl's brow is dry and feverishly hot.

Which would be far down on the list of things to do.
Lunch makes me happy.

I like this idea.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

As others have already stated, you can do this fairly well with think think command.  I don't think that this is really need, but to be honest, I actually think this idea fucking rocks.  There are a lot of times when I want to express how my character is feeling and have kludged along using the think command.  I can think of a lot of times when having a feel command would have expressed what I wanted to express much better.

Honestly, I don't see how it could hurt.  At worst no one uses it nor cares that it is used.  At best, it helps people flesh out their characters a little more and opens up the opportunity for some neat spells.  

I like the idea.

I think it's a neat idea. Couple of questions.

Would your last "feel" stick around? In other words, if you checked score (or stat) would you see a line that said, "You are feeling a bit grumpy." if the last thing you entered was "feel a bit grumpy"? If so, how long would it stay? Until the next time you changed it? Or should it eventually return to some neutral state on its own on the grounds that people would periodically forget to reset their mood, which could get a bit incongruous if they leave it for too long?

What about using the existing "change" syntax, so you would "change mood a bit grumpy" in much the same vein as you might change ldesc?

Should there be a stock set of moods?
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

I'd rather have it not be like change ldesc or change objective. Just one command to better describe my character's emotions than:

think I'm so sad.

I like the idea.

I'd rather it not be something that sticks around in your score sheet, though. Emotions can come and go in waves and it'd just be annoying to have to change it constantly. I think it should just be a variant of think, which I sometimes infuse with emotions. However, I don't like doing that. It feels awkward to me. However, it feels even more awkward not doing anything at all. Even though no one would be able to see it besides you (and the admins) I still think it would be productive for role-play.

The skinny templar says to you, in sirihish: I think your brother will make fine fodder for the Arena, don't you?

You feel a wash of intense rage.

You think: No! I'll kill that kank-whore before he hurts my little brother!

You say, in sirihish, bowing your head low with tensed shoulders: Of course, Lord Templar.
..and the puppet explodes.

Rather than a new command, I would rather see something like:
think (with a wash of rage) I hate him!

But I don't think its going to get IMPed any time soon.  The idea of chaning emotes and thinks together in this way didn't go over well with the Imms, (use stacked commands instead) I doubt this will.  Nothing wrong with using a pair of * anyway.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

I would like this to be a separate command, due to reasons I don't want to go into.

It would be best, really, as a lightly modified version of the Think command, like in the original example.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Heh, possible empathic skill could tap into these feelings.  :shock:
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

>feel sad
You go home, cry, and write about it in your Livejournal.

Okay, seriously, though... I have to agree with Rindan. If this is implemented, the worst thing that could happen is that people don't use it. Generally speaking, thinks have done it for me. But I'm sure there's been a few times with each character that I could've used this.
I also like the idea of "feelings" sticking around for a while, maybe something like objectives do. It might provide some insight for the Imms who are wondering why your usually mild-mannered merchant is currently wrecking everything in his apartment.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

I like the concept, and it would be easy to create. Just slightly modify the think command.

<IC information removed by board moderator>
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

There are a couple of other areas this feature could be interesting that may validate someone working on it:

1. The first suggestion.  A "feel" command to express one's emotion.

>feel twinge of guilt as you lie.

You feel a twinge of guilt as you lie.

2. What if a psionicist could "detect" those feelings?

3. What if <ic info removed by board moderator> could CAUSE some of those feelings?

>manipulate <target>

You can manipulate your target to feel sadness, guilt, jealousy, happiness, relief, regret, desire, suspicion, fear.

There are some interesting RP tools that this command could allow for within the game that has nothing to do with game knowledge, abuse or anything else and would add an interesting layer to the play.

-LoD

If this is implemented, I'm going to have the urge to type "Feel up ~woman".
*blank* hmms to himself, carefully peeing across the ground.

Quote from: RaesanosI want to kill everyone.

I removed some information that strayed too deeply into the realm of things you should find out IC.  Thanks.

=O!
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: "LauraMars"=O!

I second that! This is awfully neat.

*edit*

Bah on the double post...

I will really dig this.  Really dig it.

Quote from: "Hexxaex"If this is implemented, I'm going to have the urge to type "Feel up ~woman".

I thought this new feel command would be an alternate to sniff except for the touch sense rather than smell. That'd be kind of neat, but there'd be abuse, of course.

Feel templar.
He feels leathery and plump.

Boy, the possibilities of abuse for that.

As for the real idea at hand, I don't think it's neccessary, thinks pretty much cover most everything emotes don't.

EDIT: Crap, didn't see Sanvean or Tiernan's posts. (Hides under his desk)

Yeah, I honestly don't see the point in using two separate commands to get across something I can with one existing command. *shrug* To each their own I guess.

>feel like taking a big dump

You feel like taking a big dump.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I'll bet less than an hour after this has gone in, somebody will...

>feel horny
subdue thread
release thread pit