---------------
Wind  9
Sun    8
Stone 7
Water 6

Suits and Ranks
===============
Objective:
The object is to get the highest run of matching suits in your hand.

Play:
Each player is dealt five cards and is allowed to discard one on their turn and have a new one dealt or pick one up that was recently discarded.  A player must have five cards in his hand at all times.  A player must pay the ante again for each card dealt and twice that for each card picked from the discard pile.  Play moves from right to left, players folding if they wish or passing if they are satisfied with their hand.  The dealer always goes last.  Once three rounds have been played, giving the players the opportunity to exchange cards three times.
Cards are then totaled.

Scoring:
Point totals only count for the highest points of the matching suit in hand.
For example, holding three of Wind: Deceit, Kings and Fate and two of Stone: Life and Truth the Stone suit would count towards his total, but not the Wind cards.
The points are added up based on ranks.  Suit points don't count in this game.
If there is a tie in points the remaining players draw a single card each, the one with the highest value on that single card claims the whole pot.

Dagger
======
This is a brutal variant Suits and Ranks.  Anyone who receives a Death card is out of the hand and looses all the coin he's placed in the pot.  Anyone who receives a Deceit card reveals it, at any time, and all other players must re-ante or fold.  Once played, the Deceit card is shuffled back into the deck and the player draws anew, to keep five cards in hand.  In this variant the Deceit card can't be used to complete a run of suits and is worth zero points.

Sun Drunk
=========
Objective:
To avoid drinking by balancing Sun and Water cards and to claim the Water of Life card and thus the pot.

Play:
The players ante as normal, whatever amount they agree on.  Each player is dealt three cards.  Play moves from left to right with the dealer going last.  For each Sun card the player has in hand, he must reveal it, take a shot of whiskey or other liquor, and ante again.  The player must keep hold on to all their cards as they accumulate through the game.

The first time around, no cards are drawn, only Sun cards revealed, antes made and drinks drunk.  Each turn after, one card is dealt to each player, additional sun cards requiring an additional drink and an additional ante.  If someone receives the Water of Life card, he claims the pot and the game ends.  Sun cards are counted as are water cards.  For each Sun card he or she has in hand, a player must drink.  Each Water card negates a Sun card so that the player does not have to drink.

As an example, if is initially dealt two Sun cards an a Wind card, he must drink two drinks and ante once.  If he had a Water card instead of a Wind card he would only have to drink once and ante once.  After the first round, an additional sun card requires only one drink and one ante and the water card has no effect (until after the game is over).  At the end of the game, when someone has collected the Water of Life card, a player with five sun cards and two water cards would be required to finish three more drinks. The winner of the pot does not have to drink.

Spice and Sun
=============
A variant of Sun Drunk is Spice and Sun. In this game Stone cards are valued like Sun cards, requiring the player to smoke spice instead of drink and Wind cards negate the Stone.  As one can imagine, these games can get pretty wild.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

I like new games for Kruth cards, but would hate to see these just suddenly played anywhere in the known world.  Imo it would be much better to introduce them icly first, or at least, have a virtual history to go along with them, who created them, where?  Played first by whom? Introduced to others how?

Neat games though :)
The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God? -Muad'Dib

So let's all go focus on our own roleplay before anyone picks up a stone to throw. -Sanvean

These sound really great! :)

I don't think introducing them ICly is such an issue - ICly there are probably a few dozen Kruth variants, and we only had four or so before this post.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "ShaiHulud"I like new games for Kruth cards, but would hate to see these just suddenly played anywhere in the known world.  Imo it would be much better to introduce them icly first, or at least, have a virtual history to go along with them, who created them, where?  Played first by whom? Introduced to others how?

Neat games though :)

Why? Who the hell cares who, what, when, where, why about kruth? Maybe noble book-worms, sure. I doubt that any commoner would really care.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

QuoteWhy? Who the hell cares who, what, when, where, why about kruth? Maybe noble book-worms, sure. I doubt that any commoner would really care

Has nothing to do with if a commoner would care.  It's an OOC care about the documentation and history of the game world.  I can submit 300 card games, 50 dice games, maybe even a -paper-chisel-rock-flash powder game, and plaster them on the gdb.  That does not mean they belong or fit in the game world.  Especially with no history of ic or virtual ic creation.  All the other games I know of have some documentation or reference to thier roots.

Not downing new games like I said, just suggesting it would be better and more rewarding if introduced in-game.

I guess you would not care if your character turned a corner and saw kids playing Hop-Scotch or some butchered yet all to close version of Baseball.
I see that out my front door, woe is me if I log on and see the same.

So let's all go focus on our own roleplay before anyone picks up a stone to throw. -Sanvean

Who invented poker?
Who invented Rummy?
Who invented Go Fish?

Fine, write something on the "OOC History of Kruth."
People should be allowed to take a game that they were told about OOC when it comes to card games and dice games, then decide if they want toplay them and tell other people IG "Oh. An Old friend told me about this game."

Instead of saying "I just invented a game in my head, let's try it out!"
Too much innovation.

If you have the power to write up that many games, bring it on. If they don't fit the theme, I wont use them In Game.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

QuoteWho invented poker?
Who invented Rummy?
Who invented Go Fish?

Pretty rich info on two of those games..

http://www.pagat.com/vying/pokerhistory.html#introduction

http://www.gamecolony.com/gin_rummy_game_history.shtml

Didn't you invent Go Fish 54?

Have you told the other people you play with, who invented it, or do you just say "Hey, let's play poker."?

That's what I do, they invented it, but I'm playing it, I don't care who the hell invented it or how I found out, all I know is, it's fun, and I'm going to win me some money.

I'm done arguing, if that is in fact what we are doing.

It's not like there's a gargantuan Kruth community. I've been in precious few games myself. I'm estimating that there're probably only 10 or 15 regularly active characters that even own a deck.

If your character plays cards, and you would like to try one of these new games, simply go up to your poker buddies, say you heard of this game somewhere. If they read the GDB, they could say "Yeah, I think I saw some Byners playing that in the Gaj a while back." If they don't, they just say "No, how's that go again?" Boom. The games begin to work their way into Zalanthas. If noone tries them, I guess they flop. Next time I play cards, I'll probably test one out myself.
i] Sarge's Lifting Advice:[/i] Don't lift with your legs. Your back's the strongest muscle in your body! And look man, your knees aren't even locked. How do you expect to stand up straight? Put your groin into it!

ShaiHulud.. I agree with you on documentation.  It's not that big a deal to write a bit up on the history of things.  This has a tendency to give situations in the game more substance.  As for the who cares attitude, well I care, I would like to see history to new games brought into Arm.  Sands if your gonna spend the energy creating a game or two, might as well put a bit more effort and give it a history to back.

Holy crap, who would have thought Kruth games would create such a big debate.

History is the easy part.

Suits and Ranks:
Played forever as a children's game, played by gamblers for more interesting fun.  Origins unknown.  Always been around.

Dagger:
Popular in Allanak.  Enjoyed by all classes.  Origins unknown, probably grew out of a love for Suits and Ranks.

Sun Drunk:
First seen played by a group of Bynners in the Gaj in the 8 of Age 12 during Low Sun on Detal.

Sun and Spice:
A version of Sun Drunk popular in Red Storm where everyone is so spice addled, they have no idea who invented it.  Invented what? is the usual response.

Cripes.  I hope you do the same when you suggest objects and crafting recipes.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Quote from: "moab"Holy crap, who would have thought Kruth games would create such a big debate.

Eh, some people just like to argue :)  
Good job, I hope it makes it to a webpage, because I will never find this page again.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

Quote from: "inkhore"ShaiHulud.. I agree with you on documentation.  It's not that big a deal to write a bit up on the history of things.  This has a tendency to give situations in the game more substance.  As for the who cares attitude, well I care, I would like to see history to new games brought into Arm.  Sands if your gonna spend the energy creating a game or two, might as well put a bit more effort and give it a history to back.

That isn't what he wanted, he wanted the games to be introduced IG before they are posted on a board like this.

Documentation is good, we need to know who would play it.

I tried one of these in game.  Seems to work pretty well.

Have to add - for Ranks and Suits - loose the points on the suits and just collect them as suits.  Anyway, that's how I play it.

Quote from: "Larrath"These sound really great! :)

I don't think introducing them ICly is such an issue - ICly there are probably a few dozen Kruth variants, and we only had four or so before this post.

I agree with Larrath.  These are cool.  Thanks, and good job.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

QuoteIf your character plays cards, and you would like to try one of these new games, simply go up to your poker buddies, say you heard of this game somewhere. If they read the GDB, they could say "Yeah, I think I saw some Byners playing that in the Gaj a while back." If they don't, they just say "No, how's that go again?" Boom. The games begin to work their way into Zalanthas. If noone tries them, I guess they flop. Next time I play cards, I'll probably test one out myself.

I think this is a good attitude.  It is good to include history - I've tried to do that when adding docs, but it's not vital.  As Moab illustrated, it's pretty easy to come up with a couple of lines of background.