look storage

Started by RogueWarrior, November 20, 2005, 03:23:57 PM

Am I the only one who has wished that there was a 'look containers' or 'look storage'  that worked roughly the same way as 'look tables'? I mean, it would just make it so much easier for organization, for navigating footlockers in the barracks, or just whatever. What I had in mind, was type 'look storage', and you see:

l tables
At 1) a blue locker with an elf engraving:
     open.
At 2) a green locker with an axe engraving:
     open.
At 3) a grey locker with a tregil engraving:
     closed.
At 4) a brown agafari chest:
     open.
At 5) a simple wooden chest:
     open.
At 6) a heavy wooden trunk:
     open.
At 7) a large bone bin:
     open.
At 8 ) a tall bone cabinet:
     open.

This is just kind of an idea... if you guys have any other suggestions, post it here... just thought it would definitely come in handy for lots of different things.

Just a reminder that this is not a suggestions forum.  It's a submissions forum.  When the staff wants to add content to the game (objects, rooms, npcs, tattoos, echoes, and the like) and would like our help, they will ask us here.  Just warning you, but I'm pretty sure this post will be moved.

Quote from: "The rules of this forum in a sticky"This forum is the prefered venue for soliciting and submitting submissions to the game. Guidelines and formatting are covered in a separate post.

While this is not a place for submitting or discussing code ideas (those are best written up and emailed to mud@armageddon.org), some ideas may involve scripting proposals.

Remember to read the forum rules before you post in one!

p.s. I think this is a good idea.  It is just trespassing, that's all.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Oh ok, sorry bout that. Wasn't even thinking. Go ahead and move it wherever it needs to go. I was just thinking that this could be a really handy command to have.

And ok, so now that that's all taken care of... can I actually get some input on whether anybody else thinks this could be a good idea, or just help out a little bit? Only reason I say anything is that I've been having several problems with some of the storage, particularly foot lockers, which don't show up when you type 'look'.

Sounds good.
AS long as the items aren't listed within with the same command. Because eww.

It'd be more worse than the time an army of gith and magickers came into the room. I still don't know what hit me.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Haha, no no. I'm lazy, not suicidal! All I'm going for, is for storage. Items would be... well... nuts.

*votes for this idea*

Been times when I've been in a particular barracks, and had to open all of the lockers individually, because I did not know which was which so on, and a list would help, even if it was included on tables.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

I can't think of any downsides to this.

> look containers
In this room:
1) a large agafari chest; closed
2) a small agafari chest; closed
3) a big baobab crate; open

I don't see how it really helps, but it can't hurt, so why not?
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

this would be freaking awesome. ESPESCIALLY FOR CONTAINERS HIDDEN IN THE ROOM DESCRIPTION.

i hate those things. sometimes they're not even IN IT.

Agent just pegged the downside I was about to post. Some things are hidden for a reason.

This would also make it easier for burglars to walk into your apartment, use "look storage", and have a nice list of every place to check for where you keep your valuables. Don't really think that's a downside though.
subdue thread
release thread pit

As true as this may be, there are still things in room that just don't make sense being hidden. Prime example... footlockers in most barracks units. I mean, if you wan't something to be hidden specifically, wish up and have the imms do it, but I think that if it's something that you should be able to see... why should you have to dig through five or six different commands to see what's even in the room?

Yeah, barracks footlockers is a good idea. There should at least be a sentance in the room description that says "There is a row of footlockers here." Barracks always have that problem. I remember a barracks that had a climbing rope, but you couldn't find it unless you typed "up". The rope was in the desc upstairs, but not downstairs.

I don't find exits and containers hidden in the room desc annoying at all. The reason they're there is so that some yahoo twink can't enter a room, steal the dresser, bed, table, and chairs (possibly in the same trip :D) and sell them. Then, the next guy rents the place and has no furniture. I like the fact that they're hidden in the room desc. Builds the suspence as I check out my new pad.

Actually, that's an incorrect phrase. They're not hidden at all! Take ten seconds to read thing! It took someone ten minutes to write it. (or more) It gives you so much more info about the room. I had an apartment and I always imagined it with wooden floors until I read the desc and realised it had carpet. The descs were beautifully written with love, flowers, and little sugar candys. Read them. Sometimes they're orgasmic.

However, yes, it would be a usefull command. Like in your apartment. (cause every apartment I've been in has containers in the room desc) If you walk in, and type "look containers" your character would immediately notice things like a dresser or a closet. However, the stash under the loose floor board that is used to hide spice would be coded not to appear in the 'look containers' command. If you succeed in your search check, ta-da! you've found a usefull and unconventional place to hide your stuff. That way the code can't be used to find needles in hay stacks.
i] Sarge's Lifting Advice:[/i] Don't lift with your legs. Your back's the strongest muscle in your body! And look man, your knees aren't even locked. How do you expect to stand up straight? Put your groin into it!