The curse of stats.

Started by RunningMountain, November 08, 2005, 04:58:41 AM

Is the stat system balanced?

Yes
31 (40.8%)
No
30 (39.5%)
Yes and No. (I hate when people don't commit)
15 (19.7%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Voting closed: November 08, 2005, 05:00:19 AM

Since it's been a while. I'll start another discussion revolving around the stat system on the mud. I think I'll list the positive and negative things about it just to see how we can improve it. And I know it can be improved upon.

The positives:
-The random rolls make for interesting character quirks. Unless you play an aged character and are guaranteed horrible rolls. But then again when you get that lucky roll and have two AI and two VG you don't feel so bad about it.
Really I think that's the only thing positive about it.

The negatives:
-Unrealistic rolls. The skinny man rolls exceptional strength. The burly man rolls ai agility but poor strength.

-Only 4 stats. Meaning that having a high number in one slot can make you good at a number of things. Such as having a really high agility, you can then strike many times in combat, it adds bonuses to your archery and throw. It determines how well you dodge in combat, etc, etc.
It just doesn't leave much open to other bonuses, so it really unbalances things for characters.

-Age affecting stats?
A huge thing right now is that age affects stats but not realistically. As of now you will constantly find people playing young characters which is fine, if you make it into old age you're quite a survivor. But anything over a certain age simply gets all penalties to every stat. I've experimented briefly and I doubt that 4-5 characters can be just luck of the roll.

I've seen lots of systems proposed, and I mainly want to see some staff feedback. Are any coders willing to take on the stat system and play with it? Look at how age affects them.  And I'd like to see more systems proposed in this thread. We've seen lots of threads on this, and if someone wants to dig them up for reference that'd be good.

-RM
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

I'm not a big fan of the stat system myself. There is a certain amount of fun to getting to see your new character's stats. There's a small thrill that you might get the uber stats this time. That's (somewhat) great from a purely gameplay perspective, but as far as roleplaying, it falls short. It can be extremely frustrating to be the huge, brawny man and RP all of the downfalls of your size, (constantly getting hungry, always shouldering into people in crowds, etc, etc) but the frail, buxom woman can heft you onto her shoulders and waltz around with no problem. It can be annoying or, in extreme examples, downright silly.

I've always liked systems where everyone is balanced from the get go. Something with points to distribute over stats. Everyone gets the same numbers and can distribute (or not) as they feel fit. Sure, there's some twinkishness available. Someone can just pick the "best" stats, rather than what fits their character. But, as long as the numbers provided are balanced carefully, the opportunity for twinking doesn't seem to be strong enough to cast the idea out. I'd much rather the muscle on the muscular characters mean something.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Hrm.  One thing I really don't like is the way stats effect age and don't change with age.  Because it may be fun to start out a character when they are a child but they will always be weak, you would think the opposite would happen if you started working on your abilities as a child and grew from there. At this point children PC's are useless in a lot of ways, usually getting crappy stats from what I've encountered.  I love the idea of playing a starving little kid thief or spy or little tinkerer.  But the stats just won't really let you work with your skills for the most part.  The youngest character you can play is thirteen.  In the ole' days people were getting married and going off to fight wars at that age. Thirteen year old's are a litlte more capable then their stats make them out to be.  I don't think they could be as uber as a full grown adult but I do think there stats make them almost unplayable unless you get lucky since there's such a disadvantage to wisedom.  Or at least after a few years until they're 18 or older you should be able to wish up and get a reroll now that they're more experienced or some such thing.

I've seen characters that are acrobats and their first roll had below average agility... what?  I do like how the stat system is divided for the most part, I think it works well in alot of ways making you more capable in certain areas.  It always you to work with your character in a simple fashion it's nice.  You see other muds where so many people are focused solely on leveling up and these complicated system, I hate that, it's not about the character it's about these intricate levels and shit.  I just think the way stats are actually rolled, not divided, may need a little more tweaking.

Quote from: "Bebop"Hrm.  One thing I really don't like is the way stats effect age and don't change with age.  Because it may be fun to start out a character when they are a child but they will always be weak, you would think the opposite would happen if you started working on your abilities as a child and grew from there.

The stats do get age effects.  When your character's age category changes (from young to adult, or adult to mature...etc) if you are logged into the game at that moment, it automatically adjusts your stats as well.  If you were not logged in, you may email to the mud account, and explain the situation.  At which point, you again get the age effects on your stats.

At least, this was what I was told when I asked to the mud account.
some of my posts are serious stuff

I like the stat system as it is. I've discovered that stats are not nearly as important as we sometimes think they are. I played a warrior once with below average everything except for maybe agility? I remember when I first saw the stats I nearly died, thinking my character was gimped, but the more I played, the less it seemed to matter.

I don't know... don't place stats up onto some sort of pedestal and make them a focus. Leave them like they are and just try not to worry about them as much.
..and the puppet explodes.

I like the stat system the way it is and it doesn't really bother me when I get a bad roll. Just makes the PC a bit more challenging. If you play a PC long enough, your stat roll really just won't matter all that much. Playing a child will most likely get you crappy stats, but you get a re-roll when you become an adult. I don't know about playing someone old. As far as I know it's probably not a penalty unless you are making a 60 year old PC. But then again, you are an old and beaten up Vet at that point. So I think it's warranted that the arthritic joints from all those broken bones start to take effect.

Maybe you just got a bit of bad luck RM, or maybe the Imms are just fucking with you.  :twisted:
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Well, if there is no solution of a problem, then it is not a problem at all. I personally am happy of the system how it is, but even I would not, there is no solution for such. Here are what I think about possible different stat systems.

- Distribution of stats at character creation.

IMO such a change like stat distribution only leads to powergaming.
Also, ome people are simply better then others, that's realistic. I like fate to decide to such things.

- IMM assigned stats from general desc. of PCs.

This only ends with some PC population of large, muscular PCs for warriors, lean, agile looking PCs for assasins... Or big headed gemmers.

- No stat system... Every PC begining at same level. (All stats average)

I like playing heros or heroines whom have usually have above level of physical attributes from the common virtual population. They have chance to become something big.. So, I would not want every PC to begin with same stat level with common population.

- Stat increase/decrease within the Game.

Well, this kind of change only adds jest to our shining twinking sides, and fellow powergamer players. That's somewhat realistic, but I really like to see ARM as far as possible from numbers, hit rolls, damage rolls, etc..  So, for me this is no solution either. Also, it sounds extremely difficult to code decrease of stats.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

The stat system does not bother me all that much.  I tend to ignore them from the most part and just accept them as quirks of my character.  Rarely are they all that important.  A low strengthen muscular warrior is a guy who might have chronic shoulder pain and so can't use his full strength.  A low agility pick pocket is just someone who isn't as quick as other people and has to make it up with skill.

I think people blow the utility of stats way out of proportion.  Within a race, skill simply trumps stats unless you are evenly skilled.  Outside of a race, stats are so wildly different that it doesn't matter how lucky you role.  A half giant will always hurt like hell if it hits you.

I think that if you are coming up with characters where getting a low stat or two destroys your character concept, your character concept is probably a little shallow.  For instance, instead of doing something along the lines of "When Fred was growing up, he was always the strongest one around.  This made him want to be a mercenary." do "When Fred was growing up, he lived with his father who was a bad ass mercenary.  In an attempt to gain his father's approval, Fred is hell bent on becoming a mercenary."  One is kind of clichĂ© and relies on a good strength role, the other is a reasonable circumstance that led Fred to being a warrior.

I just wish there was an abuse free way to let you write your desc after you see your stats.  That's all.

You enter chargen, provide everything but sdesc, desc and background, hit a button and the character gets generated and made permanent (so that you can't quit out of chargen if you don't like your stats), then you are shown your stats/given a chance to reroll and prompted to enter sdesc, desc and background.  Once that is done you hit submit.

Although I lean towards disagreement, I can buy the strength and agility issues requiring only minor adjustments to a character's history, persona or day to day life.  However, I think endurance and wisdom are out of whack.  

For instance, I had the idea of playing a character who wasn't the brightest bulb on the block.  After I received the character, his other three stats were right on the mark, but his wisdom was exceptional.  I didn't want to reroll because everthing else was on the money (and no, they weren't amazing either).  However, since intelligence and/or wisdom can have a huge impact on your rp, it totally threw off my idea and forced me to rethink the character and how they would react to various situations.

Endurance is another item that has a definite association with a person's life.  A kid who only took money from customers for his parents his whole life would have nothing in terms of stamina as compared to a foot messenger or mining slave.  In real life, when I used to do nothing but sit behind a desk, I would get winded after walking up only two flights of stairs.  After I started working out, a few months later I could easily manage a 12 mile bicycle run at approximately 11-13 mph.  Endurance is something that is directly affected by the amount of physical activity that a person regularly exerts.

Suggestion for Stat Modifiers:
I would suggest that when players create apps, that they be given the ability to affect the random rolling of their stats.  For each stat, the person would choose either "emphasize", "ignore", or "no modifier", along with brief reasons for why a stat would be affected.  The imms reviewing the application could then reject it if the person seemed to be a twinkie, or run the app through the character generation script.  The script would take the modifiers into account, making sure that a strength roll received a plus (within reason) and the other stats received their respective negatives.  While still quite random, this would give players the ability to further customize their character to better fit the role they had in mind.

More Stat Types?
I think that it would be a huge pain in the butt for the coders of Arm to create new stat types or to break apart existing stat types.  If the system was breaking right now, I would suggest they consider it.  However, this game has been running for several years and it appears that the player base has, overall, been unaffected.  If I were to consider stat changes, I would like to see the following:

* Strength: How much weight can you move around?  How much force is behind your movements?
* Stamina: Basically endurance.  How long can you sustain prolonged physical activity?  Amount of movement, stun points, fatigue from fighting.
* Dexterity: How well do you use your hands and other bodily appendages?  How well do you balance?  This would affect combat, acrobatic and crafting skills.
* Agility: How fast do you punch or catch things?  How fast can you run or attack?
* Intelligence:  How quickly do you pick up on things?  Learning languages, skills, etc.
* Wisdom:  How much insight do you have into others or how you interact with others?  You know what to say to other people, how to lie, how to read others.  Would possibly affect psionics and such.
* Health:  You may be able to run like a gith, but are you susceptible to sickness? Prone to health issues?  Would affect hp and the ability to fight off poison/sickness.

In any case, that's my two cents. :)

Quote from: "rishenko"For instance, I had the idea of playing a character who wasn't the brightest bulb on the block.  After I received the character, his other three stats were right on the mark, but his wisdom was exceptional.  I didn't want to reroll because everthing else was on the money (and no, they weren't amazing either).  However, since intelligence and/or wisdom can have a huge impact on your rp, it totally threw off my idea and forced me to rethink the character and how they would react to various situations.

First, I am pretty sure you can always wish up and/or drop the MUD an e-mail if you want a stat reduced.  One e-mail and a change of objective is all that it would take to reduce a stat.  I highly doubt you would get any arguments from the imms over it.

Second, wisdom is an easy stat to play either way.  If your wisdom is high, but you are playing a stupid fellow, just consider your wisdom to be muscle memory.  Unless you are a magiker, wisdom really only has an effect upon how quickly you learn things and a few minor skills.  A warrior with a high wisdom is just a guy who tends to pick up on how to swing his sword a little quicker then others.  I have met people as dumb as a rock but with the ability to pick up sports and other such skills much faster then me.  That doesn't make me smart or them stupid.  Intelligence simply is not that general.  Smart people are not automatically awesome at learning how to hit a baseball.  I would never base my character's intelligence or cunning off of the wisdom stat.

As far as wisdom goes... I play a character how I want to play them and basically ignore the coded wisdom stat in regards to personality. If I wanted to make a dumb as a rock mercenary, I'd play her being dumb as a rock even if she had AI wisdom. Maybe she can learn things quick, but that sure don't make her smart. I get character concepts and mentalities in mind before I roll up the pc, and I wouldn't want to scrap a whole personality because of a wisdom roll.

For the other stats, it -would- be nice if you could get an idea of someone's stats based on their description. ICly, guard recruiter types would all want the tall, muscular men because they're tall and muscular and healthy looking. Right now that tall muscular man might be a clumsy runt, while his friend the wimpy, thin man might be Superman stats wise. That's sort of silly.

I do kind of like CRW's idea, at least as far as seeing stats before you write sdesc/mdesc. Not sure if you need them for the background though.

Quote from: "Rindan"Second, wisdom is an easy stat to play either way.  If your wisdom is high, but you are playing a stupid fellow, just consider your wisdom to be muscle memory.  Unless you are a magiker, wisdom really only has an effect upon how quickly you learn things and a few minor skills.  A warrior with a high wisdom is just a guy who tends to pick up on how to swing his sword a little quicker then others.  I have met people as dumb as a rock but with the ability to pick up sports and other such skills much faster then me.  That doesn't make me smart or them stupid.  Intelligence simply is not that general.  Smart people are not automatically awesome at learning how to hit a baseball.  I would never base my character's intelligence or cunning off of the wisdom stat.

Ahhh, make sense.  I could buy that.  I was always of the opinion that the stats reflected your character as a whole.  If they had a high wisdom, they were overall pretty intelligence, so on and so forth.  Thanks for the correction. :)

I find it very jarring to see the thick-shouldered guy saying he can't use that longsword because it's too heavy, yet the emaciated youth has no trouble swinging it around.

I dislike the stat system, but wouldn't like to see any sweeping changes, really. Just an option to reroll your stats without being stuck with the second set. I always hate getting a set of stats that doesn't match the char at all, only to reroll and get even worse, but be stuck with the second batch.

If that was fixed I would probably say leave things as they are. I like the simplicity of the four stat system, though I dislike that some NPC scripts run off of one stat alone, and the lack of this stat means insta-death, not matter how uber you are without it.

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I agree that statistics which don't mirror your character concept can be somewhat frustrating.  There have been a good many suggestions made in previous threads about maniulating one's stats such as:

Stats by Priority

Some players would like the ability to select the order in which they'd like their rolled stats to fall (i.e. str, end, wis, agi).  This might help the massive, barrel chested men/women of the world actually end up with a decent strength.  I'm afraid that we would also see players continually picking what they consider to be the "best" order for the most hard coded benefit.

Stats by Distribution

The idea of everyone starting out with the same point total and allowing for customization would probably degenerate into min/maxing for most people.  Random stats help keep the emphasis off numbers by removing the control, and thus, the amount of attention given to them.  I also agree that it makes sense to have a world where some people are simply better than others.

Stats prior to Creation

One of the suggestions in this thread was to allow players to see their character's stats prior to creating the sdesc and mdesc so that you could describe them apporpriately and/or adjust the background.  This probably wouldn't work for one of two reasons:

-Players would use this feature simply to check their stats and start over if they didn't like them.

-Imms would have to approve a character twice.  Once so they can look at their stats, and again once they've made any desired revisions.

Are there alternatives?

As many have suggested, any change in the way statistics are handled that put more power into the player's hands of customizing where points are placed will likely result in abuse/powergaming issues.  I don't mind the randomization of the stats and have lived with them for the most part.

You can certainly email the MUD account or wish up if a stat is really affecting a major portion of your gameplay (i.e. ranger who can't hold even the lightest of bows), and I imagine they will probably meet your needs as long as you don't mind losing a few points in other stats to make up for the change.

If I were to propose some kind of solution, it would be for characters that have a total point value below a certain mark.  Let's say that we assign the following points:

Very Poor - 1
Poor - 2
Below Average - 3
Average - 4
Above Average - 5
Good - 6
Very Good -7
Extremely Good - 8
Exceptional - 9
Absolutely Incredible - 10

If someone rolled a character with a combined point total (strength, agility, endurance and wisdom) of 16 or lower, then they would be given an extra option such as a command called "Improve".  This command would be a one time ability to improve one particular stat by perhaps 2 levels.

This way, only the people with truly pitiful rolls would have the opportunity to make themselves feel a little better about the prospect of their character.

For example, someone rolls the following:

Your strength is average, your agility is below average,
your wisdom is below average, your endurance is good.

This would be exactly 16 points (remember, this isn't set in stone).  So they would be given the opportunity to Improve[/i] one of their stats by 2 levels.

>improve strength
You choose to improve your strength.
Saving Wimpy.

Your strength is good, your agility is below average,
your wisdom is below average, your endurance is good.

Now the player may be a bit more happy about his situation.  Placing a cap on the point total will ensure that this feature is made available only to those characters that could really use a little help managing some simple actions.

-LoD

Like I said before I like the randomization of the stat system. But I also dislike it. Its a catch-22.

Just some ideas.

What I would like to see is either more stat choices, therefore spreading it out into a broader category, OR allowing the characters to customize themselves more, such as picking which stat gets rolled highest or allowing them 1 stat to be a high roll while the rest are given penalties. An example is a recent PC of mine that I wanted to have high strength, I didn't care about anything else. I could care less if I had poor in every category except strength, what happens? I roll ai agility and average stregnth. And I'd rather not special app a character just for a stat quirk.

Adding dexterity on top of agility to determine how many attacks you get in combat would help balance that out. That's just one example. Agility is a way powerful stat, it helps with so much that it makes some NPCs, such as halflings nearly impossible to kill.

Another ridiculous quirk is how desert elves can roll 140 hp. From the documentation:
mostly standing between around 74 and 90 inches in height--and tend to have slim, light frames.

It's things like this that unbalance the game. I've had d-elves with average endurance roll 130 hp. The 'luck of the roll' system makes things very strange to roleplay. I dislike saying well he has a high pain threshold. That's just plain silly.

Hit points are based on endurance yes, but I always saw them as how big or thick your character is such as half-giants. Not just how much pain they can take in combat, which should be an entirely different roll in the code such as pain-modifier to reduce damage taken.  Another stat such as toughness or stamina could help with this.

Maybe I'll think up some more stuff later.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Quote'm afraid that we would also see players continually picking what they consider to be the "best" order for the most hard coded benefit.

As opposed to players suiciding horrible stat rolls and remaking to get better ones? Which players DO. So no matter what no system is perfect. Even the one we have now, because twinkish players will just keep remaking until they get that roll that they want. I used to do it.

-RM

Players suiciding for stats would be considered bad form.
And if observed will be noted on the player's account.

Dakurus

Quote from: "Dakurus"Players suiciding for stats would be considered bad form.
And if observed will be noted on the player's account.

Dakurus

Bolded for context.  Players.. uhm.. myself in the past, included, log in at non-peak hours to 'accidentally' die to a tarantula, or raptor, or convenient mob..  It is less likely to be observed, especially if you wish up for an easy wish, like 'animate this merchant plz' to see if an IMM is on.. o.o

Sorry for derail.
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)

I think Diealot has the right of it. It's highly unlikely that players will be caught doing it. Any system can be abused. And I think the one we have for stats right now is the most abused. I would be amazed to see the stats of some o the PCs in game right now, just to be curious as to how many are playing with great stats and how many aren't.

-RM

Changing the current system is on the list of "Things We Would Like to Do at Some Point".  There's been a lot of good ideas generated regarding this over the years.

My biggest beef has been with strength if anything. I get stuff like the scrawny kid your strength is omg you're superman. Sure kinda cool but doesn't fit that my character is a twig. Then get the opposite the big musclebound brute and try to wield a broom and told it is too heavy and strength is poor. If want a change to state I say mail the imms or wish up saying hey my twig boy here has real high strength can i have it lowered(maybe ask for a boost in one other if appropriate) or my big brutes strength makes me unable to wield a broom can it be boosted a bit. The imms will be glad to help out....usually. Do not abuse the system the imms probably note making changes to characters and can see what your desc/background says.

Amish Overlord  8)
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

Also if you improve yourself in the game, such as exercise or whatever to improve a stat, email imms.Who knows maybe they wiull boost whatever stat you requested. Or even lower if it you rp getting it weaker

Amish Overlord  8)
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

My beef with the stats is thaty they don't seem to have any randomality for my characters.  My characters, in general, usually get mundane strength and endurance and decent to pretty good agility and higher wisdom.  I think it's a little crazy that out of all the characters I've had in 5 years I've seen Very Good strength only once.  It's usually good or above average, while I'll get very good agility or widsom almost every time.

i voted yes and no.

The stat system is unbalanced but I don't give a damn.

I have to agree with Mr 137 on this.  I actually like tha randomness of the stat role.  I write my backgrounds and descriptions in such a way to handle any potential roll.  And I roll with whatever is given.  It really just about the roleplay anyway.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

I don't have a problem with the way it is. I've had stats that didn't match up with the desc of the pc but things worked out just fine. I really like the random roll anyway.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

QuotePlayers.. uhm.. myself in the past, included, log in at non-peak hours to 'accidentally' die to a tarantula, or raptor, or convenient mob.. It is less likely to be observed, especially if you wish up for an easy wish, like 'animate this merchant plz' to see if an IMM is on.. o.o

Fair warning - you are never alone. Just because a request for animation goes answered doesn't mean there are no staff on.

Not all of us live in USA. And I am watching you.

Fear me.    :twisted:
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

I am and have always been a supporter of the random stat rolls.  I'm anti-pointbuy and anti-ordering.  I think characters with good stats that match their guild should be somewhat rare.  The more common people who just plain aren't as good as the naturaly gifted either RP that frustration appropriately or work hard to make up for it with skills.

I do agree that having 'the big, burly man' with a poor strength roll is a problem, though.  Something I just now thought of (and forgive me if the idea isnt totally original), is that perhaps one should be allowed to raise a poor stat ONLY at the expense of their highest rolled stat.  For instance, if the big, burly man rolled poor STR, average WIS and END, but excellent DEX, he'd have the option to raise his STR to average at the cost of making his DEX above average, or something like that.

The system is not perfect as is currently, but it works.

I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of stat-ordering system. That way I wouldn't roll weak strength every time I play a tribal elf or city based thug. Those two roles seem the be the worst about rolling bad stats.
Quote from: LauraMarsThis is an unrealistic game.

(which is part of its appeal)

No doubt. *flex*

I completly agree with moe on all points.

Though, Personaly, I think the cost for switching stats should not be 1-1, but more like 1 for 2.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Changing the stat system would be useful.

Certainly mushes allow you to choose your stats (setting limits in both directions) and later write your description.  Coupled with the right balancing mechanism, this is a workable solution.

Allowing a player to simply bias the stats in a particular direction also would be a workable solution.

Arguments of powergaming and abuse are invalid, really.  Changing the stats system doesn't encourage these - lack of checks and balances do.

I voted yes and no.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

I do wish that there was a way to reroll one stat. Reroll agi/str/wis/end or the regular reroll self if you want to give it a try for an all around better roll.

Now... having said that...

Nothing irks me more than people whining that they can't get into their beefy muscular guy because his strength is average and so they hope they'll die soon. And it turns into a self fulfilling prophecy and sooner than later they're making another PC.

Stats don't make that huge of a difference. The game is about roleplay. Give your beefy muscular guy a trait or a flaw to explain why you can't wield the uber heavy bastard sword of doom. "I can't use those, it's disrespectful to the one who trained me." "I have an extra bone in my hand, sorry, I can wield it, but using it just would destroy my sword arm forever. Yeah, I had the watermaker look at it, but I'm just stuck."  "Sure. Any guy can wield a sword and bash at things like a deranged gith. I prefer this type. It's more useful to the way I fight."

And I adore just ADORE the "In my background it says my guy was the legion of doom command leader of his mercenary group. I can't roleplay with him until he gets higher up in skills, so I'm going to go destroy things until I'm up to his background level."  

I almost wish stats were relegated to the 'stat' command, so when I type score, I get the down and dirty of how my PC is, not her codebased stats. If that happened, I'd like encumberance swapped to score.

What's next? Coded penis size? I can just see people suiciding because their manparts aren't as manly as they want to be. And all the poor buxom f'me's with a small chest running around all sad because they can't get any of those codedly huge men.

Proxie
For those who knew him, my husband Jay, known as Becklee from time to time on Arm, died August 17th, 2008, from complications of muscular dystrophy.

Quote from: "proxie"And I adore just ADORE the "In my background it says my guy was the legion of doom command leader of his mercenary group. I can't roleplay with him until he gets higher up in skills, so I'm going to go destroy things until I'm up to his background level." Proxie

Do you mean abhor? Or do I just suck at picking up on internet sarcasm? :P
..and the puppet explodes.

...just thought of this...
perhaps another way to fix this problem is to simply hide the stats completely like they did with skill percentages.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Quote from: "moab"...just thought of this...
perhaps another way to fix this problem is to simply hide the stats completely like they did with skill percentages.

But what would I look at when I'm bored?  :wink:

Actually that is not too bad an idea, but it could lead to some odd situations. For instance, someone putting in a description that he is a skinny weakling, but rolling AI endrance.  He tries to play it as weak, but he seems to survive even falls off the shield wall and gith gashing him in the neck.  Me, I think it would be fun.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

I like the idea of hiding stats. It's the old issue... How do you know irl how good you're with a sword? you try. I've never thought about this but strength and such aren't really that much different... You try how much weight you can lift.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Strength and size seems to be the main gripe.  For most other things it's
"That's life...get over it!"
So could the strength stat be modified by the character weight we assign at the start?
That beauty and truth should pass utterly

Hell, why not hide the skill list too? Want to know if you can use that sword? Well keep trying.

In fact, let's get rid of encumbrance in score. If you're getting tired when you walk, obviously you're encumbered.

And there's no reason to be able to see your exact hitpoints and stun. Junk those too.

---

In all seriousness, I learned my lesson about making a character concept that relies on a certain stat. I will never make a "muscular" or "graceful" character, or one who's supposed to be intelligent. It's not worth the frustration of getting a roll not in line with the concept. All my characters, by necessity, have to be physically ambiguous - not too bulky but not too skinny, not slow but not fast. Because if you mention a single actual trait, you might end up stuck in a position of having to change what your concept was in the first place, and that sucks.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

...and actually, Cale, it's pretty cool that something seen as a problem in the game by many players (perhaps you as well?) has left you writing non-super buff guys or lanky, super-agile elves.

You're *gasp* joe-zalanthas.

This, I think, is a good thing.

Quote from: "Cale_Knight"Hell, why not hide the skill list too? Want to know if you can use that sword? Well keep trying.

In fact, let's get rid of encumbrance in score. If you're getting tired when you walk, obviously you're encumbered.

And there's no reason to be able to see your exact hitpoints and stun. Junk those too.

---

In all seriousness, I learned my lesson about making a character concept that relies on a certain stat. I will never make a "muscular" or "graceful" character, or one who's supposed to be intelligent. It's not worth the frustration of getting a roll not in line with the concept. All my characters, by necessity, have to be physically ambiguous - not too bulky but not too skinny, not slow but not fast. Because if you mention a single actual trait, you might end up stuck in a position of having to change what your concept was in the first place, and that sucks.

Me I'd like more information...  even if its just   Novice... competant.. skilled for skills....I really hate not being able to give a straight answer to .. "Do you do it well?"
As the great German philosopher Fred Neechy once said:
   That which does not kill us is gonna wish it had because we're about to FedEx its sorry ass back to ***** Central where it came from. Or something like that."

I wouldn't want stats hidden. I like to have an idea of my character's strengths and weaknesses to roleplay them properly. Skills, you can generally assume when your character starts out that s/he blows at all of them. If you're a fighter, you can get away with emoting a little more deftness with a blade, but you still suck, when you get down to it. You actively improve and work on your skills as you play, so you're generally pretty familiar with how good or bad you are with them. Stats don't change. You can start of great or terrible. If they were hidden, until you've gone around trying to lift a lot of things and getting shot in the face and seeing whether or not you live... Well, you'd be left with a rather nebulous idea of how to play off your character's base stats.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Even with all the flaws of the current stat system, you gotta admit that nothing feels quite as good as typing "reroll self" and seeing all your stats dramatically increased.
The current system has been good to me. I may be biased, but I wouldn't want to see it radically altered. I like a certain amount of randomization to my characters, and it can be interesting finding an explanation for the warrior who has below average strength, but exceptional endurance. Crazy stats can really make a character memorable.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

I think people who have been playing for 5 years or longer should have their minimum stat roll be "good."

With a 100hp minimum for any race/class combination.

And we should start with 10,000 'sid.

Because we deserve it, duh.

:roll:

Edited to add content:

I'm pretty sure the stat system already takes your preferences into consideration, in a generic, class-based way.  That is, certain classes get bonuses to certain things during the stat roll process.  Over the years, I've noticed that my warriors are generally stronger, my assassins are generally more agile, my rangers generally have more endurance, etc.  Now, this certainly isn't always the case, but I think if you average it out over time, the tendencies are there.

Beyond that, I agree with a few previous posters that, if your character's concept revolves around a good statroll...well...prepare to be disappointed.  If it's that important, go through the special app process.  Otherwise, just play out the character.  Chances are, you'll be getting a brand new statroll within a couple of months, anyway (if not sooner).
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I continue being baffled by this recurring discussion.  Maybe the RNG Gods have smiled on me, but I've had a dozen characters, and every single one, every single solitary one, had stats pretty much -exactly- in line with what I expected from their age/weight/class combo.  In those rare cases when the stats diverged significantly, it was invariably in the direction of being much, much better than I'd expected.  Obviously, 12 characters isn't really enough to make a definite statement, but it's enough to show that having appropriate stats isn't a fluke, not unless flukes come in dozens, rather it's the norm.

Just pick an appropriate age/weight, and your stats will be just fine.  Most of the specific situations I've noticed that people have tended to cite over the many times this discussion has been rehashed is that they basically bottomed out age and weight to make some scrawny teenager, and they somehow expected uber STR and END because this lithe, slender teenager was actually winner of the Mr. Known World Body-building Pageant and so of course he has to come with AI STR.  Occasionally, there's also some complaints that their elderly characters have been -gasp- frail and clumsy.

Some sort of mild prioritizing system would be nice for customization purposes, but definitely not simple stat ordering, because age/weight are important for determining the absolute limits of those stats, as they should be.  I don't feel it's at all necessary though, as we can practically already choose exactly what stats we want.  The only limitation on the current system is that the stats, being based off age/weight, actually have to -fit your character-, instead of fit player whims.  I kind of like it that way.  You can't make a scrawny, starving rinther and expect him to be very strong.  With stat prioritization of any actual usefulness or effect beyond what we already have, you could roll that scrawny rinther and choose STR as a prime stat to create a deceptive image of your character.  If you make that scrawny rinther and choose DEX as a prime stat, as it realistically should be, you'll just sap his STR and END more than the code is already doing for you with age/weight calculations.  Choosing a young age and low weight is already the same as concentrating on DEX.

I like the stat system how it is now. I wish people wouldn't start these posts because then it puts ideas into other people's heads and then they start thinking.
ar is not about who is right, but who is left.

Quote from: "Packersfan"I like the stat system how it is now. I wish people wouldn't start these posts because then it puts ideas into other people's heads and then they start thinking.

God forbid people start thinking.  Especially on a discussion forum.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Okay, here's my two cents (not 'sids, since this is a way OOC discussion).

I think that a stat system in which everyone starts average, adjusted for age, race, height, weight, guild, and subguild, would be optimal.

Increases in the stats through use would be reflected as part of the increased skills that people get over time.  I know, it's not a perfect system, but I personally really like its simplicity.

Another option is that stats rise and fall with certain coded actions, like skills do now, except in both dierctions.  I'll leave it to others who might be interested to flesh out these ideas...but I think it would be much harder to code.

EDIT to add subguilds
EDIT again to ass height and weight
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."