What the hell?

Started by halfhuman, October 30, 2005, 07:13:32 PM

Should hell be more accepted in armageddon?

hell yes!
16 (30.2%)
Hell-pits no!
11 (20.8%)
May be too distractive or OOC
15 (28.3%)
I'll say it if you say it
11 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: October 30, 2005, 07:13:32 PM

Okay, I realise that there's the "hell pits of Suk-Krath" thing in armageddon, but why can't we just say Hell? I, for one, love to swear. And with hell gone, I have to say feck a lot. In fact, since hell's out of the question, half my swear words are "feck". If something wierd happens, I can't just say "what the hell?" I have to say "What the feck?" which makes my character sound much more like a potty mouth. Not that I don't mind, it's just that I feel like mixing things up a little from time to time.

Sure, I realise that there's no hell on Zalanthas with a devil, fire and brimstone, and the works, but what about hell as an adjective? "The red desert is hell to cross stoned!" Sums things up so much better and quicker than if I tried to beat around the hell-ban bush. Even if hell isn't a physical place on Armageddon, can't we just use it under the understanding that it's just a state of severe torment or something the like?
i] Sarge's Lifting Advice:[/i] Don't lift with your legs. Your back's the strongest muscle in your body! And look man, your knees aren't even locked. How do you expect to stand up straight? Put your groin into it!

I don't think its OOC to say hell?
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

If there are the hell-pits of Suk-Krath, I think it'd be fine already.  It's already a word, and I don't see any problem of using it as a short form of the hell-pits.
*blank* hmms to himself, carefully peeing across the ground.

Quote from: RaesanosI want to kill everyone.

"Hell" and "distractive" are right out.  I like "Krath" (ie. pits of Suk-krath) or "Drov" (dark like hell?), and "distracting".

Your mileage may vary.

-- Xygax

I was always under the impression that Drov was the Zalanthan equivilent of hell. I might be terribly mistaken here.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Quote from: "bloodfromstone"I was always under the impression that Drov was the Zalanthan equivilent of hell. I might be terribly mistaken here.

I thought Drov was death, not hell, per-se.

"Your viscious kick to the man's kidneys sends him to the realm of Drov!"
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Well, I'd never heard anyone say it and I've seen  instances where people didn't seem to like it's usage, so I thought I'd make this here post about it. Well, I feel like a jack-ass now.  :oops:
i] Sarge's Lifting Advice:[/i] Don't lift with your legs. Your back's the strongest muscle in your body! And look man, your knees aren't even locked. How do you expect to stand up straight? Put your groin into it!

Hell, ICly, would refer to the Hell Pits of Suk-Krath.

I really, really like the abruptness and finality of death, with no afterlife of any sort.  Death means you cease to exist.
Thinking about that always helps me try to cling to my PC's life more tightly before they die.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

say Fucking Hell. = say Fucking Hell pits.

say Good fucking God = Say Good fucking godking/highlord/utep
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

With nearly all characters of mine, I pick a word to replace 'hell'.. For one, I pick 'sands', one says 'drov', one says "krath", one even said 'Hairy balls of Tek!" instead of 'what the hell.."
There's too much to be replaced with hell.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

I say hell more often than not and i've only seen about three other PCs use it, but never been bitched at OOC so I'll stick with hell.
'm into the desert on a horse with no name
It feels good to be out of the rain
In the desert you can't remember your name
'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain

I too have always wanted to use the following phrases, but restrained
myself because it doesn't seem IC'ly correct:

"Jesus f--ing Christ"
"God Dammit."
"To hell with you."
"F---ing hell."
"What a f---ing sonofabitch."
"What the hell is..."
"Aye, sir. I say we make like the French and Surrender."
"It's the broadsword that says 'badass motherf-cker' on it"
"I'm Muk Utep, b--ch! Myehaha"
"You killed Templar Fancypants... You bastard!!!"
"F-cking with your money's all you kids seem to understand these days."
".. then you're gonna live in a caravan down by the dried-up river!"
"(In an kuraci mafioso accent) Yea' them's a bunch of feckin' cocksuckas."

Okay okay so I trailed off there in the end, but yeah!

- Ktavialt

Quote from: "Ktavialt"I too have always wanted to use the following phrases, but restrained
myself because it doesn't seem IC'ly correct:

"Tek Dammit."
"To Tuluk with you."
"F---ing hell."
"What a f---ing sonofabitch."
"What the hell is..."
"Aye, sir. I say we make like the 'Nakkis and Surrender."
"It's the broadsword that makes me look like a bad mother F--ker."
"F-cking with your money's all you kids seem to understand these days."
".. then you're gonna live in a caravan down by the dried-up river!"
"(In an kuraci mafioso accent) Yea' them's a bunch of feckin' breedkissers."

Okay okay so I trailed off there in the end, but yeah!

- Ktavialt

Fixed.

Oh and you can say "Your caravan's small. I can fit 240 dead bodies in mine and still move at top speed, while having a whole byn unit in it still."
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

As far as the flagrant use of profanity extends, I think everyone has their own style. Once you familiarize yourself with the playing field, you come to understand there are many ways to artfully string together a bevy of insults. For instance...

"You're limp as a mul, skinny as a sandy, spiced-up 'necker, and sharp as a wagon-load of half-giants."

Or...

"May the desert swallow you, you slithering sandsnake."

Or...

"Go shank a 'tok, you furry, bow-legged mutie - it worked for your mother."

... Could all be used interchangeably to create the desired reaction. Personally, I tend to stray far and wide from such terms as Drov, Suk-krath, and all that jazz. Just sounds kind of hokey and forced when I use them, but then again I'm still rather new. From a purely logical standpoint, though, these abstractions don't seem like the stuff of commoner dialogue. Moreover, use of such explitives by your common commoner might warrant some very painful interrogation by the Templarate as to whether this person possesses knowledge of elemental powers.

My sandy 'sid, anyhow.

Damn.

Here I go sharing my innovation and ingenuity with the world, and I don't even have the sense to log in. You know, come to think of it, maybe you folks shouldn't listen to me.
Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through the experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired and success achieved."

-Helen Keller

Tempus Fugit, Tempus Frangit

I tend to avoid using hell, mostly because I am not really looking to invoke the Judaeo-Christian image.  I think it is bonus points if you avoid using it for that reason, but I think you would have to be extremely anal retentive care if someone else uses it.  Anyone who would bother to OOC over it or ask something stupid IC like "what is this hell you speak of?" should be beaten within an inch of their life.

Quote from: "Rindan"I tend to avoid using hell, mostly because I am not really looking to invoke the Judaeo-Christian image.

Just Christian. We Jews don't really go in for that.

Anyway, I use hell every now and then, generally for an emphatic "Hell no I wouldn't sleep with a diseased 'rinthi whore!" But when I think to, I'll substitute it for something like "fuck no" or "shit... I'd never."

I don't think any kind of "zalanthanized" cursing will ever have the same effect as good old-fashioned curse words. We call them profanities because they're profane, and we as players will simply never view Zalanthas-specific curses as profane.

When I want to curse in a way that's not glaringly "real world," I'll try to use something that would be utterly filthy in our world, even if it's not a common curse. For instance:

The svelte and curvaceous f'me aide says, rubbing your shoulders, in sirihish:
    "How have you been?"

Grunting, you tell the svelte and curvaceous f'me aide, in sirihish:
    "I've been as busy as a two-pussied whore in a T'zai Byn barracks."

I have no idea where I was going with this.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Quote from: "Cale_Knight"
Quote from: "Rindan"I tend to avoid using hell, mostly because I am not really looking to invoke the Judaeo-Christian image.

pretty sure some jewish theology involves some form of eternal punishment for certain people, though you guys don't throw it around as much as christians do. (nor do you throw it around as casually)

I've had characters use "hellpits" anywhere I'd want to use the word "hell".  I think it would be OK if you used "hell", as it would just be a shortened version of "hellpits".  However, it's more nifty to use "hellpits", IMO, because it just helps keep things feeling more In-Character.

So, to me, "hellpits" is better and more fun, but "hell" would be acceptable.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Well I tend to use these following swearwords: Shit or shite (I'm sure  Zalanthans still do it. Heh)
                                                                   Feck
                                                                   Drov
                                                                   Tektolness's balls!
                                                                   Bitch (female gortok)
                                                                   Gortok (same as bitch)
                                                                   Sand eater! (my little one)
                                                                   Krath

Quote from: "Agent_137"
Quote from: "Cale_Knight"

pretty sure some jewish theology involves some form of eternal punishment for certain people, though you guys don't throw it around as much as christians do. (nor do you throw it around as casually)
Not to go off topic or nothing, but it's only strong christians who believe in hell most make up there own concept about were evil people go. It's only the strong catholic christians who believe in hell and some I know don't.  Also the concept of "hell" isn't always a after life of brimstone and devils, I'm quite sure what "hell" means is doom or having a really really really really bad time.....for instance you could call a half starved urchin who lives with poverty living a life of "hell". So you probably could use it in game.

QuoteIt's only the strong catholic christians who believe in hell

Now that's just silly. :p  There's a lot of Lutherans, Congregationals, Baptists, etc that would beat you with their bibles for saying that. *chuckles*
es, Narnia, the film that teaches kids that Jesus is a lion that kills people by biting them in the face...

Quoteit's only strong christians who believe in hell most make up there own concept about were evil people go

I could be wrong, but I believe even the Islamic faith has belief in hell of some sort.  I think you're confusing concept with spelling.

I do know, for a fact, that Christians actually stole the concept of 'Satan' and hell.  Satan comes from the muslim faith, and the names are actually similar.  Satan was derived from 'Shaitan'.

I think it's kind of strange that you'd say such, considering that even karmic religions believe in a 'hell' after the death of a 'bad' person.  It may not be called -hell-, but the concept is there.  Even Greeks had the underworld.

I don't think using the word 'hell' to describe the concept is such a bad thing.  However, I do think that any belief in an afterlife for the average person on Zalanthas has not been represented if it's present.  There's obvious belief in curses and damnation, otherwise there would be no 'realm of drov' theory.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: "Armaddict"
Quoteit's only strong christians who believe in hell most make up there own concept about were evil people go

I could be wrong, but I believe even the Islamic faith has belief in hell of some sort.  I think you're confusing concept with spelling.

I do know, for a fact, that Christians actually stole the concept of 'Satan' and hell.  Satan comes from the muslim faith, and the names are actually similar.  Satan was derived from 'Shaitan'.

I think it's kind of strange that you'd say such, considering that even karmic religions believe in a 'hell' after the death of a 'bad' person.  It may not be called -hell-, but the concept is there.  Even Greeks had the underworld.

I don't think using the word 'hell' to describe the concept is such a bad thing.  However, I do think that any belief in an afterlife for the average person on Zalanthas has not been represented if it's present.  There's obvious belief in curses and damnation, otherwise there would be no 'realm of drov' theory.
Your talking about the way religions use to be........they have been moulded and changed since then. Trust me. I'm a christian and I do not believe in a hell. Christians may have stolen the word, but not the concept behind it. As for your drov theory......dunno maybe.
P.S: I think I see what you mean now. What I ment was most christians don't believe that evil people go to any sort of bad place. I mean, most christians believe that evil people will go to heaven as well, but there evil actions will affect them in this life not the next. That's what I believe anyway. I have a nack for changing the topic. Let's get back to it.

It don't particularly care where, when, or what religions developed hell.  The larger point is that in western society (where most people that play this game come from), hell invokes a certain image.  I would prefer to invoke an image that is purely Zalanthian in nature and not muddled with modern day conceptions of hell.