Think, look, directions and logging

Started by Yang, October 21, 2005, 04:55:33 PM

There are two commands that I wish would echo to the user's screen, and that is any look that has an emote, and any directional command that has an emote.... for logging purposes, if I feel one of these commands are important to understand the log, I will use 'think' in order to echo the command for the purpose of making a consistent log.

The topic in RP discussion about thinks did get me thinking. If it is inadvisable to keep this practice up, would it be terribly difficult to echo a look emote or a move emote back to the original source of the command, that being my terminal, so that logging them is possible without using think?

And please don't tell me my commands should have echo on for this purpose. I like producing clean logs with no prompt and no terminal-side echoes.

Eager for commentary on this subject.

I would say that your requirements are very unique.  I would not recommend using the think.  I have two potential solutions however. One is to figure out a client sided trigger to output something to the screen. The other is to enable the prompt then run the logs through a filter to scrub them.  Either one of them will take some work on your side, but like I said, your requirements are unique.  Personaly I would not like the extra spam added to everyone in order to fit your requirements.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

I just want directions echoed, with or without emote, because I hate being OOCly lost because I wasn't quite paying attention.

but yea, how do you build a filter, then? Some neat trick of a batch file?

Quote from: "Agent_137"but yea, how do you build a filter, then? Some neat trick of a batch file?

Personally I would do it with Perl, it would be fairly trivial to do for anyone who programs a little.  I would suspect that with a bit of googling someone already has a script for scrubbing logs and the type.  For the average non programmer type it may be a bit too challanging.
quote="Morgenes"]
[/quote]

I use zmud and you can do just about anything you want.  Also when logging, I tend to just type a note to myself and let the mud wonder what I'm smoking...  "What?"

- HK
- HK

I would like to see these echoed as well.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

While the triggers and stuff are good ideas, it isn't always possible for those of us that use raw telnet and/or don't have the time or knowledge to search through the settings of certain mudclients and set this stuff up.

I have seen answers to questions concering simple ideas like this in the past where people tell you to set triggers and macros and junk.  I usually don't use any triggers or macros whatsoever... especially when I'm not logging in from home.  So, while I'm not saying this is any emergency or should be at the top of the list, I also suspect that something as simple as this could be easily implemented (as well as other ideas shot down in the past) if someone has the chance in the near future... and I would be thankful for it.  ;)

I would like to see these echoed as well, or perhaps the option to have them echo.  Both are common areas of mistakes for newish players (e.g. using parentheses with a look or trying to target something while moving), and the echoes would probably help fix that.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Quote from: "flurry"I would like to see these echoed as well, or perhaps the option to have them echo.  Both are common areas of mistakes for newish players (e.g. using parentheses with a look or trying to target something while moving), and the echoes would probably help fix that.

Took the words right out of my mouth.  "Spam" is not an issue here at all, or else emote, pemote, say, tell, and talk all shouldn't echo either.  You also really can't underestimate this "help the newbies figure out the intricacies of the different command emotes without us having to ooc it to them every 5 minutes" factor either.  This is absolutely crucial for anyone that doesn't like to use/hear ooc.  A broken emote is ooc, too.  Correcting their use of the look/mvmt emotes is a horribly jarring ooc, and with command echoing, we'd get far less of the former and none of the latter.

Spam is definitely not an issue here.  I would like this idea implemented, aswell.  Remember, there is a 'brief' command if you want less spam, though it is highly hidden and only used by the most masterful powergamertwinks. (AKA Halaster)
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Okay, I used the evil word spam. You folks are taking things out of context.  I stated that the original poster's requirements were unique, namely that he wants a "consistent log" with no entered commands shown.  Adding echos to those two commands for his needs is a unique situation.  In so far as should the commands have echos attached, me I really don't care one way or the other.
quote="Morgenes"]
[/quote]