Another Newbie Thread: How did you come to Arm?

Started by Cale_Knight, October 21, 2005, 12:27:38 PM

How did you come to Arm?

Friend(s) got me started. (Less than a year ago)
5 (5.8%)
On my own/Through a MUDding Web site. (LT 1y/ago)
18 (20.9%)
Friend(s) got me started. (Between 1-2 years ago)
10 (11.6%)
On my own/Through a MUDding Web site. (On my own/Through a MUDding Web site. (Between 1-2 years ago)
17 (19.8%)
Friend(s) got me started. (More than two years ago)
36 (41.9%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Voting closed: October 21, 2005, 12:27:38 PM

I'm not interested in anecdotes so much as broad categories. My theory is that the vast amount of people who come to Arm and stay are the ones who do so holding the hand of a current player - not 100% new newbies who have to rely completely on the docs.

For my part, I came from another MUD at the behest of a player who was similarly disillusioned with it.

edit: And somehow the options got messed up. There should obviously be a sixth option there - "On my own, more than two years ago."
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

I voted on my own, less than 1 year ago. I'd actually looked into Armageddon a few times before but was turned off by the need to apply and then wait up to 24 hours for approval. I'm one of those instant gratification types. However, once I finally made an app and waited, I was hooked baby, I say hooked!

Thus far the numbers are not supporting my theory!

Though maybe that explains the reluctance to make the system easier. "Back in my day, we had to walk five leagues up a dune to MUD!"
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Yep. The only ones who survive are the ones who really want it.

Personally, after reading all the docs and then having my first character die after less than an hour of play, I quit for a year and a half.

I got started after learning how to play from my husband, more than two years ago. He definitely held my hand through alot of the initial frustration.
Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."
---
Inara: "Thank you for the wine. It's very... fresh."

Mal: "To Kaylee, and her inter-engine fermentation system."

Yeah.. My girlfriend got me hooked.
When she first described Arm, I thought "Text-based? Sounds lame." Oh... how wrong I was. But, yeah... I don't know if I would have stayed if I didn't get that initial help from her.
Fear not death, for it is your destiny.

Searching for muds online many years ago (yes, like 10 yrs ago, you lads and lasses)... was fascinated when I saw that your name did not appear in the game, but instead a sdesc was seen.  I had never seen any other mud like it.  That and the 'darksun' type setting and combat system is what got me hooked.

On my own, more than two years ago.

I was voting for the first Mud I played on TMS and saw Armageddon. I was kind of disillusioned with my first mud, because when I killed people they didn't STAY dead, and I would just end up getting killed by them in return. None of that with Arm, so I looked at the site, but wasn't too impressed. Then I read the History of the Known World, was fascinated, and by then had all but signed the death warrant of my social life and other hobbies.

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I voted on my own, although I was trying it out with someone else who was a complete newbie as well.
subdue thread
release thread pit

...was playing RealmsMud (LP) like a rat on cocaine (like 9-10 years ago) when i stumbled upon Armageddon - well, it was actually eating up the ISCA Mudding forum so much it was moved to Hot Topics>.

Anyway, once I logged in I never went back.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

On my own, more than two years ago as well.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

I blame and thank Cameron_0202.

Two years ago, or more.

Well, two years ago or so, I was lost.  I saw Cenghiz in the distance, and asked where the way to my home.  And Cenghiz gave me the directions.   The thing is, I was fooled, and found myself in Gaj, instead of my home.  I was like, WTF?!, and then Cenghiz came and stole my boots.  I am here since then, could not find the way out yet :P.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Via the NCF (National Capital Freenet in Ottawa), when it was "the shit".

Two hours a day limit...except on weekends.  So you had to be -very- careful with your time.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Old running buddy from my old mud brought me over.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Room mate used to play Arm. Basically tossed me into an Arm boot camp and then held a gun to my head and watch me play.
Quote from: Majikal on August 20, 2009, 05:53:09 PM

Running after Carru, catching them, then eating them while they are still breathing is a Red Fang's version of 'fast food'.

I'm one of the disillusioned players from Cale-Knight's mud, but I found it randomly about 2 years ago and I saw 'Perm-death'. So I tried it out.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

I think Armageddon owes NCF (National Capital Freenet) for the freaky amount of players there are here. It was one of the three muds you could connect to through freenet without an amazing amount of hassle. I tried to play Armageddon for YEARS before I managed to even connect. First I just got the message "You must create a character first" for a while, then Armageddon disappeared. It was down forever, then I found it again one day when I evolved high-speed internet connectivity. Mmmm.. Highspeed Armageddon.

Someone I knew from a mudcalled "Turning Point Tavern" introduced me to Armageddon after I became bored with that particular mud, and was looking for something different. She was a huge help in coming up with a good first character, though I think the player behind Anath ultimately made me want to continue playing.

TMS doing random mud hops after I got tired of killing someone again and again. Permanent death hooked me, but when I tried it, and died, I decided to leave it alone.

A few months later, I got bored and decided to try it again, after reading all the docs and talking to a couple of helpers.
Lovehina- Ken Akamatsu

My highschool computer teacher introduced it to me, and we used to play with six others after school for two hours each day.  Having to dial-up using a seperate phone line, and using a wingate server.  Oh the fun!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I got here just almost two years ago, after spending a year and a half or so in a semi-permadeath RP MUD with serious powertripping and corruption problems.
A player told me about the game, but not only did he not give me any help whatsoever about it, some problem in the main Armageddon website (apparently related to a hacking attempt) kept me locked away from the documentations for roughly a month.

Originally, I come from Rivers of MUD, which is the original ROM, having left that place to initially discover roleplaying after two years and some.

I now know Arm better than the friend who brought me there.  Teehee.  :twisted:
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

This fellow that I didn't know was talking about it to a Korean guy in a class when I was in 9th grade.  His name is Clyde a.k.a. "Kronibas" and he's my best friend now.

Friend knew I loved muds. Friend found ARM, friend mocked ARM. Friend told me to make a character and mock ARM. I killed friend, drooled over ARM. Been here ever since.
your mother is an elf.

I was getting burned out on another MUD, and a friend pointed me here.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: "ghost"Well, two years ago or so, I was lost. I saw Cenghiz in the distance, and asked where the way to my home. And Cenghiz gave me the directions. The thing is, I was fooled, and found myself in Gaj, instead of my home. I was like, WTF?!, and then Cenghiz came and stole my boots. I am here since then, could not find the way out yet .
I hate that pale, gay-looking man..
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

You think:
"No! Please leave me be whoever you are."

You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind.

Quote from: "eska"
Quote from: "ghost"Well, two years ago or so, I was lost. I saw Cenghiz in the distance, and asked where the way to my home. And Cenghiz gave me the directions. The thing is, I was fooled, and found myself in Gaj, instead of my home. I was like, WTF?!, and then Cenghiz came and stole my boots. I am here since then, could not find the way out yet .
I hate that pale, gay-looking man..

Thirded. I did not know he steals everybody's boots, I thought I was special..
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

5  or more years or so..... but 3 where on and off...
dd my msn if you want, longvaladrien@hotmail.com

I roomed with Gorobei in university residence for a year. He got me into this.

Not sure how I came across it but it was probably nearly 2 years ago and was on my own.  I introduced a few friends to it but I don't have much hope of them ever becoming decent RPers...