Salvage

Started by Raesanos, October 02, 2005, 03:24:44 PM

I meant it as a very weak backup for those who don't have the skill, or don't have it high enough, are starving out in the desert and have a dead carcass in front of them. It's kinda funny that it's possible to waste a whole dead bahamet without getting the smallest piece of meat.
Quote from: VanthA well-placed grunt can be worth a thousand words.

You couldn't pick up the bahamet to salvage it anyway.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

If you didn't have an appropriate tool to skin an animal with, you should be able to tear some meat (just meat, and maybe even a scrap of hide or shell) from the corpse's bones with your hands.
*blank* hmms to himself, carefully peeing across the ground.

Quote from: RaesanosI want to kill everyone.

Quote from: "Hexxaex"If you didn't have an appropriate tool to skin an animal with, you should be able to tear some meat (just meat, and maybe even a scrap of hide or shell) from the corpse's bones with your hands.

Just because you don't have the skin skill, this doesn't mean you can't skin.  You just suck at it, as it should be.  The salvage skill is not needed, experiment a bit IC.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

Quote from: "amoeba"
Quote from: "Hexxaex"If you didn't have an appropriate tool to skin an animal with, you should be able to tear some meat (just meat, and maybe even a scrap of hide or shell) from the corpse's bones with your hands.

Just because you don't have the skin skill, this doesn't mean you can't skin.  You just suck at it, as it should be.  The salvage skill is not needed, experiment a bit IC.

I meant that if you had the skill or not, you should still be able to use the skin  command and emote using your hands to tear apart the corpse, because you won't always have a knife or axe to help you with that.  This is a rare situation and a derailment anyway.
*blank* hmms to himself, carefully peeing across the ground.

Quote from: RaesanosI want to kill everyone.

... using your hands to tear apart...  a bahamet corpse?  And discussing using salvage on corpses doesn't strike me as a derailment.  Personally, I don't think it's a good idea, though.

-- X

Eat corpse?
If you are starving, I am sure you could do a "wish all I'm starving holy god person watching me. I emoted digging into this bahamets skin and eating the flesh like a barbarian Tulukian that I am. Mind if I bum some meat or something off of you?"
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Play a halfling.

Quote from: "Delirium"Play a halfling.

they eat alot don't they?
dd my msn if you want, longvaladrien@hotmail.com

Well. Havn't you ever heard the story of the clumsy pc halfling?
It was walking through the forest and sucking on it's thumb, tripped on a cricket, and was full for the rest of the week.

I agree you should always get something from a corpse, be it a non-cookable sliver of fat, or a chunk of decaying liver, or something.
You can't be so bad with a knife that you cut everything in a corpse (bones, meat, eyes, hide, etc..) into tiny unusable specks of material.

Actually, I like the idea of salvaging a corpse a lot.  The idea behind salvaging a corpse is that you are making absolutely no attempt to get anything worth while from it.   You are just trying your damndest to get any sort of meat you can get from it.  No skinner worth his salt would use it, but your starving 'rinth rat or starving and lost Byner in the desert might.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing more 'quasi crafting' skills out there that made completely useless but utilitarian items like salvage and breaking beer bottles.  In the same way you should be able to tear a shirt to make a bandage, any idiot should be able to use a knife to quickly hack up a piece of wood into a makeshift club.  It might not sell for anything to Salarr, but if you are in need of a weapon fast, who carse?

So, thumbs up on the salavge, I really like it.

This is a very interesting skill, useful for crafters and merchants alike.