Salvage

Started by Raesanos, October 02, 2005, 03:24:44 PM

nod mansa
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

I stand corrected. I also feel much better that I'm not the only sick bastard around here.  :wink:
"Dumbass." - Red Foreman

That is really gross! :P
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Oh, Mansa....  :roll:
Fear not death, for it is your destiny.

Wow, so no suggestions or ideas?  I actually have some things I plan to change...

1 - Want to make the delay time vary by size of the object (Xygax's idea)
2 - Want to make it skip the delay if you're just going to get the "You can't salvage that." message.

It could be nice if salvaging could tell you what you'd get before you start doing it.  It's silly to tear up a giant greatcloak for a length of sandcloth and only end up with a tiny square in the end.
Also, an automatic ldesc change.  "Sdesc is here, tearing shit up"?
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

QuoteIt could be nice if salvaging could tell you what you'd get before you start doing it. It's silly to tear up a giant greatcloak for a length of sandcloth and only end up with a tiny square in the end.

Like the craft command maybe...
salvage [item]
you get [material 1] from [item]
salvage [item] into [piece of item]

Make the scraps of cloth HOLDABLE please.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Would be nice if larger objects granted more than one item, if they're also going to take longer to salvage.
subdue thread
release thread pit

Or the time could be linked to the size, complexity or value of the resulting items, rather than the source.  

Getting one little scrap of cloth from a cloak wouldn't take long, but getting several pieces of cloth or one large peice of cloth would take much more care, and therefore more time.  Salvaging a delicate piece of lace or silk ribbon from a dress will take more care and time than ripping the seams out of pair of leggings to get some strips of sandcloth.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Can we rip up salvaged items into SMALLER salvaged items?  If the salvaged item in question is large enough, that is.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

QuoteWould be nice if larger objects granted more than one item, if they're also going to take longer to salvage.

They do.  Its based on weight, so if you're mostly just salvaging clothes, they all tend to be pretty light.

QuoteMake the scraps of cloth HOLDABLE please.

I did this on the ones that weren't already, so they all are now.  Good catch.

QuoteCan we rip up salvaged items into SMALLER salvaged items? If the salvaged item in question is large enough, that is.

Any ideas on what the benefit of this would be?

QuoteIt could be nice if salvaging could tell you what you'd get before you start doing it. It's silly to tear up a giant greatcloak for a length of sandcloth and only end up with a tiny square in the end.

There is a random element involved so the information of how much you're going to get can't be given up front.

Allow ripped up clothes to be used as bandages.

Quote from: "Tamarin"Allow ripped up clothes to be used as bandages.

That was in from the start, yep.

Sweetness.

So, I could take those many empty miniature barrels from the bars in Nak and salvage them into a few small sticks of wood er something?
Though there be no squids to slay,
My spear will taste blood today!

Quote from: "Raesanos"

There is a random element involved so the information of how much you're going to get can't be given up front.

In that case, I think even a list of what could be salvaged could be good.  Or it could be done differently.
The list of possible results for the salvaging of a greatcloak (by quality and difficulty to hit in the randomness) would be like this:
A large, thick scrap of cloth. (10% chance)
A small, thick scrap of cloth. (20% chance)
A small, thin scrap of cloth (x3). (25% chance)
A small, thin scrap of cloth. (45% chance)

When salvaging, one could either leave it up to chance or use the list and specify which result they're interested in - at which case they start salvaging the object with a bonus of 10% chance to get what they've tried to get.  If they fail, they either get the lowest object on the list or nothing at all.  If they salvage with no argument, they cannot control the result but cannot fail and will always get something.

This will give us players some measure of control while keep things more random.

Quote from: "Example #1"
> salvage greatcloak
You could tear this up into:
A lot of cloth.
Many bits of cloth.
A few bits of cloth.
A bit of cloth.

> salvage greatcloak into a lot of cloth
You begin salvaging.
You rip the greatcloak like the moron that you are, producing a single bit of cloth.  Sucker.

Quote from: "Example #2"
> salvage greatcloak
You could tear this up into:
Blah.
A monkey.
A nun.
Stalin.
A tembo.
A thong.

> salvage greatcloak any
You begin salvaging.
Stalin comes into the room and confiscates your greatcloak.

Well, just a thought.

Also, perhaps we could salvage several objects together if they're of an appropriate type?  Namely with cloth - it should be almost trivial to take two small shirts, tear them up and stitch the scraps together to make a larger piece, though with metal it could be a whole other story.  Then again, perhaps that would be better left to crafting.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Patches. (My pants have a hole so I tore up my shirt and sewed it back together with a patch so I don't get sand in the crotch)
Bandages.
Gags.
Instruments to tie people up with.
Makeshift, crappy veils.
Wrapping. Like those paper wrappings.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Yeah this rules!
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"

Patches. (My pants have a hole so I tore up my shirt and sewed it back together with a patch so I don't get sand in the crotch)
Bandages.
Gags.
Instruments to tie people up with.
Makeshift, crappy veils.
Wrapping. Like those paper wrappings.

I meant, what would be a specific benefit of being able to tear up scraps into smaller pieces?  These are all things that make sense to use with the normal pieces in my opinion (you can already use them as bandages and makeshift veils, even)

You can go from a giant piece of sandcloth bandage and then get an arrow through your bicep and rip it up so that you don't use it all.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I have no easy way to check.
Can you salvage corpses? It'd be kinda neat if you could salvage the corpse into a generic piece of meat or two.
Quote from: VanthA well-placed grunt can be worth a thousand words.

Just wanted to say I finally got to use this command. It rocks.
*thumbs up*
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Quote from: "Anael"I have no easy way to check.
Can you salvage corpses? It'd be kinda neat if you could salvage the corpse into a generic piece of meat or two.

Nope, thats what the skin command is for.