You throw a torch east.

Started by Revelations, September 06, 2005, 09:23:55 PM

Due to a few instances IG awhile back and recently, I was wondering what people would feel of the idea that you could throw a torch in a certain direction which would light the place up for a brief moment before going out. This could be useful for many situations, and doesn't sound unrealistic at all, unless the adjacent room was in theory a league away.

-Rev
Here is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen.  -   Sean O'Faolain

That would be really cool, especially for caves and such. Throwing a torch down a fall room to see how far down it is, etc.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Are you sure this isn't already in game? Have you tried it?

If it's not coded, that actually would be a very neat idea for caves and such.

*Going to try this in game now*

Just be prepared for the torch to blow out while being flung into the cave/down the pit. And be prepared for the lantern to shatter, setting the whole place on fire. And for the glow-crystal to break on a rock or the hard ground or the stone walls.

:) :) :) :) :)

:)

AFAIK, if you throw an object down a 'chute' series of rooms, it won't fall all the way to the bottom.

I remember a while ago, maybe a year or two, I was climbing a wall in a cave and dropped my light.  The light object fell to the bottom of the wall, but the illumination itself remained in the room from which I dropped the crystal.  That was ammusing, since I couldn't pick up the lit lantern because the room it was in was dark, but it could still burn through the oil.

On another occasion I dropped a torch with the intention of fighting a critter in a dark place, and the critter picked up the torch and wandered off with it!  Again the illumination stayed in the room where I dropped the torch, not the room where the critter had the torch object.   A wee bit akward.

The moral:  Don't drop your light in dark places unless you have a backup.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I once dropped a torch and watched it fall down 4 rooms in a well, then I told someone to go get it and I watched them fall.
Then I lit another torch I had and tried to climb down, but I slipped, and the torch I was carrying got dropped, so I watched it hit the ground, then I hit the ground. I lived long enough to watch the other person die to a relatively harmless critter, then I blacked out.

Good, Idea. I like it.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

With the way some torches are made, there are some that would not go out when thrown.  How do you think the Earth's ancient peoples who burned villages to the ground did it?  They had to have some way to throw the fire at the thatched roof cottages.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Trogdor.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

no

liquid fire which got stronger as you pour water on it

bwahahahahha watch red storm village razed to the ground!
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

I can see a few problems, like being able to throw a torch up the Shield Wall.

Though, I'm thinking it'd make a cool Jurassic Park parody with a silt horror.

Quote from: "Cegar"Trogdor.

hahah fuck yes.

And Thunder Lord, that's a great temp solution, but this seems something that might happen often enough to be a bother for immortals who have to respond, and a bother for people who need it when no free immortals are around.

Quote from: "Cuusardo"With the way some torches are made, there are some that would not go out when thrown.  How do you think the Earth's ancient peoples who burned villages to the ground did it?  They had to have some way to throw the fire at the thatched roof cottages.

Ummm Duh!, they had magick back then and people had fireball spells...
The lanky freckle faced gith says "Gawd Idiot!"
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

Hehe, thanks.  I needed a good laugh, Cyrian.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

*shrugging* I try [derail] You listen to psychotica by chance cuus?[/derail]
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas