Who Created Zalanthas?

Started by Manhattan, August 30, 2005, 05:46:59 PM

zalanthans don't have gods so who is it they believe created their world? was it suk-krath who gave birth to all of the known world through its fiery loins...who?

if you're going to say that muk utep or tektolnes created the world, don't bother answering. the Dragon came before even them.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

How'd Earth come about? If you say the Christian God, don't bother answering... Pagan gods were here before even him.

That isn't meant as a jab toward any religions, only to show my point.

In the eyes of most commoners I would think Zalanthas is just there. It always has been there and will remain there. Sort of like what's beyond the Known World - most don't know, most don't care. Why should they? It doesn't really concern them. If anything, they'd think their Highlord(s) made it, or perhaps the Dragon. Most commoners aren't exactly educated.

As for the actual answer as to how Zalanthas came about, much like Earth, who knows? I'd imagine it's IC information. Find out with that rich, studious noble PC of yours sometime. <g>

Quote from: "Only He Stands There"In the eyes of most commoners I would think Zalanthas is just there. It always has been there and will remain there. Sort of like what's beyond the Known World - most don't know, most don't care. Why should they?

I agree. I'd tend to think that creation stories come along with religion.  So, no religion, no stories, not even any thoughts on it.  Most Zalanthans just don't have time to engage in philosophical thoughts like this.
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

QuoteThat isn't meant as a jab toward any religions, only to show my point.

What point? Honestly, I'm curious about how there is a point there.

As far as how it came about, yeah, nobody has any idea. Some people might think about it ocassionally. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense anthropologically, but that's because it's a fantasy world.

You don't need to know who created the world when you know who destroyed it.  Obviously the first guy(s) didn't do a very good job, if the Dragon could just come along and smush everything.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Zalanthas is earth 10 million years from present day.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Vin Diesel created Zalanthas in two hours and one coffee break.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "Larrath"Vin Diesel created Zalanthas in two hours and one coffee break.

Now that's some crack-speed building.   :shock:

Clearly the known world was created by the Creator.

This Creator was wise and had great imagination.  He took a concept that was once called Dark Sun and warped it.  Then, establishing a Council of Creation, the Creator worked with his team to populate the world.

This Council of Creation created the flora and fauna.  All the while the Creator saw that this was good and approved.

Then the Council of Creation opened the portals of the land and in came new beings who spread out throughout the World and named it the Known World.  These beings fought one another and kept track of their relative power with things called, "levels."

In this the Council of Creation decided more was needed and these "levels" were abolished.  Suddenly, the Beings were forced to make use of "skills."  The Council of Creation saw that this was good and approved.

These Beings are fabled to have lived incredible lives and are said to have carried steel weapons and steel armor.  It is rumored they even knew exactly how powerful they were at all times.  It is also said that at one time more Beings were magicker of some sort than any other type.

Over time these Beings lost their ability to determine the exactness of their powers and they faded thus becoming mundane.

The theory of Creationism is alive and well!

As an aside - different tribes and groups within the game world have different views on how the world was created.  If you wish to explore the matter further - create a character who seeks to find out such tales.

Yep, that sounds about right.
*blank* hmms to himself, carefully peeing across the ground.

Quote from: RaesanosI want to kill everyone.

i think it was made by the first Imm(s)

am i right?

and how earth was made well read chemistry, physics and go onto space sites that have info on ideas how earth came to be.
dd my msn if you want, longvaladrien@hotmail.com

Sounds like a great focus for a dwarf.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Beyond all the nonsense answers given thus far:

What a person on Zalanthas believes about religion and creation depends in large part on who they are, and where they are.

A tribal elf is going to have very different beliefs than a city-dwelling human.  He may even have beliefs that are very different from other tribes of elves.

A sorceror is going to think very different things, based on the amount of power he's been able to gather.

A psionicist who may or may not be able to read the minds of educated folk may have very different beliefs than those of average commoners.

I imagine folks in Allanak believe largely that Tektolnes is a deity.  The templarate does have a division (the white robes) that is dedicated to spreading Tektolnes-Approved (tm) propaganda, and given the realities of living in Allanak, most commoners are probably inclined to believe it.  Hell, maybe even -nobles- believe that Tektolnes is a deity.  They may be placed above commoners, but they're still inferior to His Doom-Wielding, Dwarven Army Annihilating Almightiness, and who knows what he allows them to think?

As for tribal humans (all tribals in general, really) what goes for tribal elves goes for them as well...with various permutations that allow for this or that race to be superior.

The contention that most people just don't think about religion or philosophy simply because they're too busy/not allowed/etc. is just a little absurd to me.  Humans (and humanoids) have a remarkable excess of processing power in their brains, and on Zalanthas, as in real life, I imagine a large portion of their time is spent trying to find things to use all that brain power for--be it song and dance in the North, or the gladiator games in the South, or spice and gambling in Luirs.

Average Zalanthans may live lives of drudgery and extreme poverty, but while they're performing all those mindless, repetitious tasks that are required of them by the social system, I can damn well guarantee you that they're not dissecting each of their individual actions pertaining to their work at every moment, only to pass out thoughtless at the end of the day.  They're thinking about something, and that something, time and again in real life, is religion and philosophy.  It may not be Alfred North Whitehead and Bertrand Russell, but it's going to be -something-.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: "Only He Stands There"How'd Earth come about? If you say the Christian God, don't bother answering... Pagan gods were here before even him.

Here in what sense?  As far as published history is concerned?  How do you know who was here first?  It is obvious that the One True Creator was here first, otherwise we wouldn't be here. ;)  Maybe he just wasn't making himself known.  Not to start an argument or anything, just putting a few things out there to think about...  Most likely there is only one Great Spirit that created everything, in my opinion... people have just distorted and imagined things to create a wide spectrum of 'Gods'.

So who made Zalanthas?  The same One that made every other planet and solar system and... universe?  Someone that could do that is obviously beyond all of our understandings... so "don't bother answering".  :wink:

Hmm, that brings up a question..

Athas, the world the Dark Sun setting was believed to be made up of the elements acting in harmony and what not in varying degrees. Being ignorant to the actual myth/facts surrounding the creation of Zalanthas and indeed how the elemental temples work. I would say, the forerunners of the elemental powers all got drunk one night and Zalanthas was the result of their drunken debauchery.

Quote from: "Sokotra"It is obvious that the One True Creator was here first, otherwise we wouldn't be here. ;)  Maybe he just wasn't making himself known.  Not to start an argument or anything, just putting a few things out there to think about...  Most likely there is only one Great Spirit that created everything, in my opinion... people have just distorted and imagined things to create a wide spectrum of 'Gods'.

Yeah, it's totally obvious.  I mean it's not like He couldn't have been She.  Or, It.  But calling your diety It might conjure up images of a scary, scary clown for some people and thus scare them away from your new cult of obviousness.  What about Them?  I think it's just as totally obvious it could've been Them, because there's so much evidence that it was He.

Oh, and Vin Diesel -is- crack.
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

QuoteYeah, it's totally obvious. I mean it's not like He couldn't have been She. Or, It. But calling your diety It might conjure up images of a scary, scary clown for some people and thus scare them away from your new cult of obviousness. What about Them? I think it's just as totally obvious it could've been Them, because there's so much evidence that it was He.

Them would not work, because if it was "them" it would produce chaos not a world.  Unless we are talking about twins thinking the same, which also means one person, not more.  So not them.

He or she or it works equally.  Actually, I think it works great, because creator does not have to have a gender.  But naming something it sounds like we are talking about dogs here, so probably making it "He" is actually for ermm... Not to be unpolite?  
And He, not she is becaaauuuuuse, everybody knows males rule.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "Ghost"
Them would not work, because if it was "them" it would produce chaos not a world.  Unless we are talking about twins thinking the same, which also means one person, not more.  So not them.

He or she or it works equally.  Actually, I think it works great, because creator does not have to have a gender.  But naming something it sounds like we are talking about dogs here, so probably making it "He" is actually for ermm... Not to be unpolite?  
And He, not she is becaaauuuuuse, everybody knows males rule.

Ever watched dogma?  :lol:

And who says the world is not a complete chaos?

*edited for horrible spelling*
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Who creatred Zalanthas?  If you mean who 'cratered' Zalanthas, the Dragon. ;)

Who created Zalanthas?  Maybe it was a flying spagh-- I mean, silt monster.

Stuff like this would be way more fun to speculate about IC, I suspect.  Either of the city-states probably have their subjects fully believing that they are Gods.  How well-known is the history on the history page?  I would seriously doubt that they would credit their God-Kings for the creation of Zalanthas, being as it is a sandy hell.  They'd probably credit the Dragon, and then their God-king for saving them by building a city to live safely in.

QuoteAnd who says the world is not a complete chaos?

I do.

Well, as long as men give birth to men, elf give birth to elf, and half elf.. Ugh.. that is confusing.. forget it.. anyway.. You got the idea..  so and so.. And the ecological balance remains, the world is not in chaos.  Chaos means a lot more than just a couple of stone getting confused in space and hitting to the earth, and making no shift in earth's orbit.
some of my posts are serious stuff

I'd imagine that Zalanthas and the rest of the Zalanthan universe was created in a similar way to Earth and our universe.  Big Bang, dust collecting together and heating to form stars etc. etc.

Then again, Zalanthas could have been created by magick.

- Who created Zalanthas (the known world)?
I think it is IC sensitive. No kidding, make a character and ask around.

- Who created Zalanthas (World of ARM mud)?
Probably Nessalin was the dragon in stories. I think the crew he was a member created the Zalanthas game world.

- Who created the universe where Zalanthas is in?
I think it's again IC sensitive because of the magickal nature. That would be fun to play a character who tries to find the answer of that question.

- Who created universe where Zalanthas and ARMmud is in?
Well, there are many possibilities.. God, Allah, Deus, Java, Gaia, the wolf spirit, .... also it could be no one.. I am only sure that it was neither me nor the mice.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

It's quite obvious that Zalanthas was created by the Flying Spaghetti Monster.  However, lacking sufficient pirates, he smited the world by drying up the oceans.  When enough of you have heeded his wrath and resumed piratical existance, he will return the water to the planet so that ye may plunder to your and his delight.

Same goes for Earth too!

Pastafarians unite!  Argh!

Jason
o longer playing and password scrambled so IMs won't reach me.  Sorry.

Quote from: "Gaare"- Who created Zalanthas (the known world)?
I think it is IC sensitive. No kidding, make a character and ask around.

While Gaare is right, I think it's safe to say that there really is no one certain belief.  There are so many scattered beliefs and so many non-beliefs that there isn't any one (or few) thing to even write about.  Ask 10 commoner Zalanthans and you'd get 10 different answers.  It really is that diverse and non-conforming (which is part of why there's no actual documentation on it).

Quote from: "Gaare"
- Who created Zalanthas (World of ARM mud)?
Probably Nessalin was the dragon in stories. I think the crew he was a member created the Zalanthas game world.

The actual credit goes to a staff member named Jhalavar - who doesn't play anymore.  He didn't create it all from scratch himself, but he has been commonly credited as the one who spearheaded the project.  There were a number of people who helped start the game in the beginning - Nessalin I believe being one of them - but Jhalavar has always been viewed as the main person.  And no, the Dragon wasn't based around Nessalin, heheh.

Quote from: "Gaare"
- Who created the universe where Zalanthas is in?
I think it's again IC sensitive because of the magickal nature. That would be fun to play a character who tries to find the answer of that question.

See answer to first question
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Quote from: "adrien"i think it was made by the first Imm(s)

am i right?

and how earth was made well read chemistry, physics and go onto space sites that have info on ideas how earth came to be.

Bahahaha,

-roar
your mother is an elf.