Fierce winds.

Started by RunningMountain, August 22, 2005, 10:09:38 AM

What's with the wind lately? Is this a bug or are there some nasty whirans running around doing it to piss rangers off. Archery has been un-useable since saturday for me nearly in every area.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

It might just be the season for the wind to pick up. Wait it out perhaps a week?  :wink:

Zalanthan weather does have seasons, sometimes it's stormy a while, sometimes it's windy a while. Sometimes it's clear skies for days.

No, it's just about never a bug. It's just the weather.
Sometimes I feel less like an immortal and more like a drug dealer.

Anyway we can get some documentation on these seasons?
From the time helpfile.
  There are three such phases or months in a Zalanthan year, which thus
consists of 693 days. The sun returns to its original arc in the sky at the
end of each year; the three primary arcs being the Arc of Descension, the
Low Arc, and the Arc of Ascension.

Perhaps a help seasons file would clear up some common knowledge about them in fact there are any seasons. After all I think people would know whether it tends to get windy in the Low Arc or the Ascending Arc, or whether it's hottest in the Descending Arc.

-RM
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Forgive me, but I feel bugged seeing this type of question asked a lot. Before this week, the weather was unbelieveably calm for a long time and I heard no whirans telling "Why's there no winds? C'mon.. I'm castin' here!"
If it's windy, it'll pass. If it's stormy, it'll pass. If it's hot, it'll pass. If it's cool, it'll pass. If it's rainy, pray to the Highlord, thus the real Armageddon should be beginning.

Quote from: "witch"the weather was unbelieveably calm for a long time
Were you using the weather command or just noting whether or not visibilty was impact?  There has been a long period with a 'mighty gale' just about every week that I've been outdoors for the last month.

Quote from: "witch"Forgive me, but I feel bugged seeing this type of question asked a lot. Before this week, the weather was unbelieveably calm for a long time and I heard no whirans telling "Why's there no winds? C'mon.. I'm castin' here!"
If it's windy, it'll pass. If it's stormy, it'll pass. If it's hot, it'll pass. If it's cool, it'll pass. If it's rainy, pray to the Highlord, thus the real Armageddon should be beginning.

Heh, you playing someone who goes from Tuluk to grasslands, to scrubs to desert, to allanak to red storm? Well I am. The weather has been extremely weird lately, and if it's a seasonal code thing I'd like to see some documentation on the seasons.  Because seasonal weather usually doesn't change, so it'd be common knowledge just like we all know when the sun is at it's apex in the sky, it's the hottest point in the day..

-RM

I was able to use archery just the other day in a very common area.
subdue thread
release thread pit

Quote from: "RunningMountain"
Heh, you playing someone who goes from Tuluk to grasslands, to scrubs to desert, to allanak to red storm?
-RM

Well, see.. There is your first problem.
Calm yourself Turbo.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

The fact that he travels a lot should have nothing to do with the topic, it was just relevent in stating that I had a hard time finding area's to use my archery in because of the wind, it seems fixed now for some reason.. *glances to the sky*

-RM

Just to clarify on this, the winds weren't "fixed". Nor does posting that you think there is an issue help in fixing them since they were not broken. They are what they are. As I said before, sometimes it's windy, sometimes it's not.

If you wanted to track seasonal weather patterns I suspect that you could. There is documentation on the seasons. It wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what the weather is like in each one.
Sometimes I feel less like an immortal and more like a drug dealer.

Quote from: "Qetesh"It wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what the weather is like in each one.

:lol:  Though, it's really a bummer for full-time archers during the windy season.

I thought people wanted the game to be more harsh and gritty?

And if archery is the only type of weaponry you're using, you might want to reconsider that.  Wind blows.  Wind screams.  Wind is horribly unpredictable.  You won't be able to use your bow all the time.  Any good archer knows this, and has a backup weapon/plan for such occasions.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Quote from: "Cuusardo"I thought people wanted the game to be more harsh and gritty?

And if archery is the only type of weaponry you're using, you might want to reconsider that.  Wind blows.  Wind screams.  Wind is horribly unpredictable.  You won't be able to use your bow all the time.  Any good archer knows this, and has a backup weapon/plan for such occasions.

Butbutbutbut I want to get my archery badass in no time flat!!

Again, getting screwed with these winds. Anyone else finding this irritating?

What is irritating to some of us, is a good thing for others.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Sure, but the irritating thing is that it lasts so damn long, gale force winds lasting days at a time is irritating not just in game to an archery but also to me the player for not being able to do anything about it.

You'd think with different land elevations, and all the sand that there is around the world, that wind with that much force wouldn't span hundreds of miles, or would kick up a storm. Ironically enough I would prefer a storm.

-RM

And dust storms are irritating to non-rangers and sun is irritating to drovians (who get far less night time) and night is irritating to everyone but npcs.

So it goes man.  So it goes.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

when my gameplay is hampered for RL days at a time, it lessens the FUN of the game.

I don't mind roleplaying my character being frustrated one evening because he can't go out and do his shit because it's storming. (in fact, I like it.)

I don't mind roleplaying the stress and danger of being caught in a sudden storm.  (in fact, I like it.)

What I as a player don't like is having to do this EVERY TIME I PLAY FOR DAYS ON END.

I like variety. I don't want to mine 'sid every RL day, nor do I want to spam listen every day, nor do I want to spar every day, nor do I want to roleplay bitching about the storm EVERY DAY.

kthx.