treat head, cure head, give head naiona

Started by Malifaxis, July 28, 2005, 08:38:18 PM

Heyooo,

Another idea.  This whole problem with disappearing heads.  

Could a command be made that allows a head to be 'treated' and preserved as an actual item that would save for the long term?  Perhaps even off of the crafting code...

craft nessalin
You could make the dessicated head of the short, gnarled dwarf from that.
You could make the shrunken head of the short, gnarled dwarf from that.
You could make the scalp of the short, gnarled dwarf from that.

The skill to make these would run off of the same skill that lets you pick apart piles and entrails and stuff.  The lower skill would yield the scalp, higher would be the dessicated.  Tanning for the shrunken.

For the heads, something like this:

This head has been carefully preparred after being severed from the host's body.  In life, this person probably looked like a short, gnarled dwarf.

Scalp:

This scalp has been carefully cut away from the skull of the owner and treated to prevent decay.  In life, it could have belonged to a short, gnarled dwarf.

(naturally, a shrunken head would only be if you had the 'head shrinking' skill  (or tanning))

Personally, I would love to walk into some templar's meeting place and just see row after row of scalps and shrunken heads from all the people this crazy bastard has killed.

Since I don't know anything about the crafting or decomp code here, I'm just taking a stab in the dark at possible solutions.  But since corpses normally decompose, and you can cut them up into real items that save, there should be a way to work around the decomp problem.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

QuoteFor the heads, something like this:

This head has been carefully preparred after being severed from the host's body. In life, this person probably looked like a short, gnarled dwarf.

I think this would cause a problem along the lines of seeing the headless body of the blue-eyed, scar-faced man. My best suggestion would be to just remove the sdesc and leave the race.

Rather than a whole subset of skills, why not just add craft head into tanned head (or whatever) to skill_tanning?

Well, realistically I don't think anyone should be able to identify anyone from just their scalp, so most realistic is to simply put the race, sex and general age category in there, and then it just might not be all that useful anymore.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Now, I'll grant that I know practically nothing about the Armageddon incarnation of Diku code, but I suspect that simply crafting a head isn't going to surmount the underlying code issues that prevent them from saving.  ICly, preserving the head means it head won't decay, but heads aren't unsavable because they're ICly made of organic matter.  Otherwise, the head could just load as a crafted, savable head in the first place.  This is akin to saying that simply changing the string "a severed head of" to "a preserved head of" will solve the code problems.

Now, it's going to be a waste of time to ramble on about Diku item databases, because Arm is heavily modified, but I suspect the unsavability comes from the fact that a head/corpse is loaded with a non-default desc (because it includes the sdesc of the dead character), and that there's no field for this extra datum in the "items" section of the pfile.  Adding this field for one and only one item type would be far from a trivial undertaking.  Of course, Arm's mileage may vary.

I've wanted something like this for a long time now.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I'd like this ability even if it didn't add on a sdesc.

The drop command exists for a reason.
Back from a long retirement

ERS...I really don't think the drop command was made so heads dont die in your inv. Uh. heh. -plenty- of reasons drop exists though.

Well I think I get the idea of how the coded objects work that...how it was described...having an sdesc head would be bad. -but- I'm sure corpses could be skinned for heads. As long as you don't behead -and- skin.

So make all humanoid corpses skinable (or at least...PC corpses)  and have 'a dwarven head'.

But that doesn't solve retaining identity. For that...I'd suggest their gear. Be like 'this cloak proves its him' 'along with these daggers and this bloodied bracer' (thats rp advice though)

I would like to see the original posters idea worked out...if somehow...Somehow. That woudl be nice.
storrie: Stay out of the rinth. It is dangerous.
jstorrie: IC INFORMATION!~!
jstorrie: You will get ultrapk'd.
jstorrie: There are no buildings in the rinth. Everything is made out of tall, cloaked figures with knives. You will die.

I like the idea, but only if it's easier to do that than to make heads persist, heh.  Also, would be nifty to be able to craft skulls out of heads.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Yeah JGG, then it would make it easier for me to build that fortress out of humanoid skulls.
*sigh*
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: "Mean_Old_Bastard"ERS...I really don't think the drop command was made so heads dont die in your inv. Uh. heh. -plenty- of reasons drop exists though.

That's not what I meant, try reading my post again.
Back from a long retirement

The original idea sounds a little too complex, but it would be cool and useful if heads could somehow be preserved. This seems like one of those tough code obstacles that no one'll touch for several years, until one day Xygax will feel inspired and pop out a solution in about five minutes with one hand tied behind his back. So... yeah.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Or even if they could be made to last longer than the current code allows - some kind of set time would be great.

Hook it up to the auto-rental code maybe <chuckle> or something like that.

Quote from: "Bestatte"Or even if they could be made to last longer than the current code allows - some kind of set time would be great...

Bestatte, heads last forever, as long as the game doesn't crash, or you log out.

It's the hardcoded 'save item' feature that doesn't work the same with a head or body compaired to an 'object'.

That's what these people want changed, my dear.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

That's what I meant, dear. If you log out, or the game crashes, or you get the head on saturday morning and the game shuts down 5 minutes later for reboot..you're SOL. I'd like to see these items last a set time. NOT forever. Just like corpses, they disintegrate after awhile if left on the ground.

"give head naiona"

Hehehe.

-Cindrak
quote="www.baobobcomic.com"]Naturally, the worst happened. Soon we saw not only a PC, but one of those weird PCs who uses words I don't know in their sdesc. The podgy, dappled dickens-whelp.[/quote]

Quote from: "jhunter"Yeah JGG, then it would make it easier for me to build that fortress out of humanoid skulls.
*sigh*

craft skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull skull into a small fortress made of skulls
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]