emote question

Started by Anonymous, July 27, 2005, 12:24:14 AM

Hi.  I'm new to the game (or will be, once approved).  I have a question about emotes.

I'm trying to learn emote system from the help files.   The examples are clear enough as to what symbol does what, but what's a sane method for trying to get good with them when starting?  

Stand around some NPC and just keep at it until it feels natural?

Try finding somewhere relatively peaceful, like a tavern, where you can sit down and have a conversation with another PC. Then try to spice that conversation up with emotes. This is how I learned to do it.

NPC's are good to practice with for the first little bit until you feel like you're getting the hang of it, but ultimately in my opinion the best way to learn is with PC's, like jstorrie said. Simply because the emotes are going to look different to you as they do to other people, and PC's can give you feedback if you're totally botching something.

Start off slow.  First, only use ~.  After you're comfortable using that, try using % as well.  Then use pemotes on occasion, and ! and ^.
Leave @ for last, and take it slow.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I left the help_emote webpage open in the background when I started. Any time I needed something, I could just click back there and double-check my emotes before hitting enter. Seems simple, but it really helped me when I started.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Quote from: "Larrath"Start off slow.  First, only use ~.  After you're comfortable using that, try using % as well.  Then use pemotes on occasion, and ! and ^.
Leave @ for last, and take it slow.

I agree, although he forgot about # which I never remember to use.   Simple doesn't mean the emote is bad, just simple.  You'll see some emotes out there that would choke an english professor, don't try to compete with them, keep it clean and simple until you find your own persoanal style.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one