Breeds Special Rapport with beasts. Why?

Started by Mean_Old_Bastard, July 15, 2005, 08:30:49 PM

Half Elves should have a 'rapport with animals'

Definitly
21 (43.8%)
Neutral
8 (16.7%)
Hell No
6 (12.5%)
Haha! GDB N00b!
12 (25%)
Other (please specify)
1 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Voting closed: July 15, 2005, 08:30:49 PM

Quote from: "Anonymous"http://www.armageddon.org/help/index_frames.html

They are rumoured to have a special rapport with beasts of all kinds, but whether this is true or not, or if it is due to something innate in their nature or simply because they spend a lot of time with their mounts, is a matter of light debate.

Anyone have an idea why a half-elf warrior wouldn't codedly know how to ride? Last time I checked, warriors could ride, half-elves are supposed to be great with mounts. I'm stumped.

Okay, I'm quoting the thread I almost derailed rather to start another dicussion. I know that as it is half elves have a better ride.

but why? Should they?

Is the argument that they are shunned from both races mean they spend more time with their mounts? I don't see why that is...that would be something akin to each individual background.

Racial? Some gentic factor, but why, humans are riders, so half of them is willing to ride. Elves REFUSE, elves never ride. So I don't see there being anything genetic to help them.

Is it something for balance? Hell, armageddon isn't based on balanced guilds and races.

Perhaps this is something that I just thought, and no one wants to change. Or there is a very qualified reason as to why. But...it made me think. I don't see any reason at all why choosing half elf should give you a better skill with mounts.
storrie: Stay out of the rinth. It is dangerous.
jstorrie: IC INFORMATION!~!
jstorrie: You will get ultrapk'd.
jstorrie: There are no buildings in the rinth. Everything is made out of tall, cloaked figures with knives. You will die.

They do.

Quote from: "http://www.armageddon.org/cgi-bin/help_index/show_help?half_elfHalf Elf[/URL]"]
Race Half Elf  (Character)  

Born of mixed elven and human parentage, half-elves share many of the traits of both races. Tall, roughly between 70 to 80 inches in height, and possessed of deeply etched features, half-elves can resemble their elven parents strongly. On the other hand, half-elves are bulkier and somewhat more hardy than elves, and so can resemble their human parents. Regardless of these attributes, however, half-elves can virtually always pass for either humans or elves, and share the skin tones and hair-and-eye colours of both parents.

A half-elf is an even mixture of elven and human abilities: they are stronger than elves but less so than humans; possess more endurance than elves (except for the elven ability to run long distances), but less than humans; and inherit elven wisdom and agility, but not to the extent which elves have these things.

Half-elves are somewhat solitary types, and many spend most of their time out in the desert. They are rumoured to have a special rapport with beasts of all kinds, but whether this is true or not, or if it is due to something innate in their nature or simply because they spend a lot of time with their mounts, is a matter of light debate.

Roleplaying:

Accepted by neither humans nor elves, half-elves tend to be extremely
self-reliant, and they pride themselves on this trait. Half-elves try to
do everything for themselves, such as hunting for their own meals and
camping well apart from others they are with. Despite this, half-elves
typically try to gain acceptance by elves or humans and will go out of
their way toward that end. In many ways, half-elves are on a continual
journey to establish their personal identity.

Note:

If you are new to Armageddon MUD, you should be aware that many half-
elves are the product of rape, but this does not mean that you should
feel obliged to make your character the result of such an act.
See also:

allundean, races, sirihish

I think it's from the D&D foundations that Diku MUDs have.  Don't question the help files.  Also, we all know that weird people have lots of cats and speak to them.  Half-Elves are weird.  And sometimes those weird and strange cats speak back to the people and train them to feed their food on command.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Mansa, that analogy was quite informative. However, I did have a question. Why did you choose such an example? Have you been abused by a Siemieese(sp?) lately?

:lol:

- Demonaire -

One would presume that they'd feel a little more comfortable and empathetic in the presence of things that could care less if they were a half-breed or had ten arms or an extra face.

I imagine it's totally related to social engineering and not that they're born getting along with beetles and kanks better than anyone else.
iggin dis

Isolation is often a case for a half-elf.  And while isolated from people, they might taking animals as their friend.

I think that might be the reason.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Lighter bones and better dexterity than any other riding species may make them less burdensome.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I imagine it's a throwback from this game's Darksun D&D and hack-n-slash roots. It also makes newbies feel a little more comfortable... let's face it, everyone has a favorite fantasy cliche. Some like the swashbuckling warrior, some like the half-elven ranger, some like the sexy seductress/assassin. Versions of those old, lovable archetypes are still available to new players, just in a highly Zalanthified version.
(Of course, if your favorite cliche was the mysertious mage, like me, you had a bit of a wait on your hands... and if your ultimate favorite was the sinister necromancer (once again, like me), good luck!)
Anyway, the IC justificatons for the 'rapport' that others offer are good, too. That's just what I personally think is the main OOC reason. Half-elves are just supposed to be rangers in Forgotten Realms-land.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Why wouldn't they have a special rapport?

They have noone else in the world. They are the poorer version of the mul and not bred perfessionally and rather because of rape, stupidity, alcohol, spice, etc.. Just like that 50 year old female neighbor of yours who loves cats. She can get her favorite cat that she has had for 20 years to go to her to be pet. She talks to that cat like it is her best friend. The same with a half-breed. Noone is supposed to want them, unless they can pass for either elf or human. Their mother, father, brothers, and anyone else who saw it born doesn't want it to live. They may not want to kill it, but they don't want it to live. They may feel sorry for it, but the breed will know they aren't loved. They are forced to grow up even before human or any other full bred race is. If they don't, they die.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Sometimes animals make better friends than people.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Why shouldn't they get along well with animals?  After all, the halfbred scum are little more than beasts themselves.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Then again, animals can't tell you how disgusting you are because of your half human, half elf nature.

They wont stay away from you and wrinkle their nose.

They wont spit on you when you cry and tell you to fuck off when you are happy.

They will listen to whatever bullshit rabble you tell them and not beat the shit out of you for doing it.

Half-breeds know everyone hates them, Even if Everyone doesn't know they hate half-breeds.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Thunder Lord"If they do have a special report with animals. then how do the animals know what they are? I mean, I could make the mistake thinking a half elf is human. So would an animal. "all them humanioids all look the same!"
I think the 'special rapport' has nothing to do with the animals and everything to do with the half-elven mindset.  With docile animals they are not feeling judged or outcast and are not feeling the pressure to always try and fit in.  It's the same as when you see an animal being brought through a hospital ward of sick children for therapeutic measures.  The child stops thinking about their disease and is focused on the animals.

A halfbreed is alone. Whatever he does it shouldn't change.. Halfbreed hates cities, tribes... all humanoids.. Because he's just a little piece of s**t.
SO the halfbreed spends more time alone, possibly in the desert. During that time he rides. He's nothing in his mind to worry about but his journey and destination, because the halfbreed doesn't have friends to think about. So he concentrates on his kank instead of keeping his mind busy with the sight of nice tavern rose he's going to see.
Whenever I feel depressed, I get better in programming. I lock my house's door and keep myself in front of the computer 24/7, till I feel better. And I don't only play ARM in this period -chuckle- so I do a thing or two.
A halfbreed is depressed all his life. He locks himself into the deserts, doesn't want to see people who hurt him. And he doesn't only masturbate in the desert in this period -chuckle- so he does a thing or two about riding.
Halfbreeds are riders.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Okay, it makes them survivable.  Without that little thing... without the ability to hop on ol faithful Silver the gwoshi, who's been with you from RSE to Pten Kar, and skiddaddle on a moment's notice then you're probably gonna croak.

No one likes you, no one respects you, the only person that doesn't judge you is your mount, so you give your all to that mount.  THAT, imho, would be the reason for the rapport.  Half-elves know that if they are perfectly straight and honest and bold with an animal, that it will respond positively if it's not threatened.

People IRL have 'special rapports' with animals... it's called treating them well and with respect. Something a half-elf who's livelihood depends on this animal would do.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

I think this is pretty done subject since everyone is repeating me.

Yup. I concede. I apprechiate the comments and discussion though.
storrie: Stay out of the rinth. It is dangerous.
jstorrie: IC INFORMATION!~!
jstorrie: You will get ultrapk'd.
jstorrie: There are no buildings in the rinth. Everything is made out of tall, cloaked figures with knives. You will die.