Whats bringing you here?

Started by jmordetsky, May 18, 2005, 04:54:28 PM

I've noticed alot of "new person" posting lately and I wanted to get an idea of what was directing you to Arm...

Feel free to post.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

I hear that there's free chicks and food.  That's why I'm here.  Chicks and Food.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I know some people who play, and one of my friends has been talking about it a lot recently. And I was looking for a MUD with a different roleplaying style. Sooooo ... here I am. We'll see if I stay.
 hate everything. No really.

The free ramen noodles?

I'm not a new player, but I've been off and on.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Yeah, it was the chicks and food that hooked me, too. :\

Actually, one of my friends from a different mud directed me here, when we were having a long conversation about the state of rp on our old mud.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

And then you two made me do it. You are evil.

(Hi, Selie - glad to see you made it~)

I keep coming back for the links to goatse.

Permanent death. That alone had a very nice appeal to it.
A staff member sends:
     "I hate you. :p"

I was lost.  And I found myself here.  And I still could find my way back.
some of my posts are serious stuff

I heard about the mud through the gaming community, but never really took the time to check it out. Then I found myself between mud's so I was checking out a couple of mudding sites, and saw Arm listed at both of 'em, read up on it - and was totally engrossed by what I saw.

So I guess numerous things brought me here, but the role-playing, and the atmosphere of Zalanthas is what has kept me here.

Matt.

QuoteI hear that there's free chicks and food. That's why I'm here. Chicks and Food.

One would fathom that years of laborious endeavors without any positive results would deter you from the game.
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

I got really high one night....

And woke up smoking spice in the Tooth. Haven't left since.
your mother is an elf.

Athas and the Dark Sun campaign.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Mudsex. That Delir... never mind.

The amazing writing.  Room descs, NPC descs, the reality of it.
Well done.  I logged in one night and just couldn't go back.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

It's all about the world and the roleplay. I got those two things and I could live forever.
Here is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen.  -   Sean O'Faolain

The feel of it all, and the pure evil that every character must have at least a handful of if they intend to survive.
The fact that nobody really cares about justice or truth or freedom.
The knowledge that the PC philanthropists, if any ever existed, are rare and more often than not forced into hiding.

The general lack of kindness, which overall breeds much more believeable characters.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "jmordetsky"I've noticed alot of "new person" posting lately and I wanted to get an idea of what was directing you to Arm...

Feel free to post.

Gotta be the anklebiters...  Those sadistic GM's have given two year olds spears...  Some day though.. :)

But I can quit.. any time..    really...  honest...  any time I  

Connected to host 64.252.79.51

Wups.. gotta run....
As the great German philosopher Fred Neechy once said:
   That which does not kill us is gonna wish it had because we're about to FedEx its sorry ass back to ***** Central where it came from. Or something like that."

I have to admit my AD&D group (this was years ago, when still played) freaked out when I transported them to a place with ankle biters. Heh.
They loved it.  Only managed to get one of them online, though. :-(
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Permenant character death brought me here. The concept of a game with real consequences, in which every battle carries a risk.

As a player I'd have to say I fall into either bartle's "killer" quadrant, or his "explorer" quadrant. Hence the concept of a game with consequences showed a certain appeal. Hence Ive decided to join and am currently applying for my first character. Woo.

The reason I stayed.
There was a Templar, Who we will call Masiki (did I get the spelling right on there?), he got my first favorite PC killed.
Then, there was a templar named Kishime, he got my second favorite PC killed.
Then, another templar, who I can't name, got my third favorite PC killed.

So, I am just waiting til this:
Armageddon Wars:
The Templar strikes back.
-or-
Revenge of the Templar.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"
So, I am just waiting til this:
Armageddon Wars:
The Templar strikes back.
-or-
Revenge of the Templar.

Oh, let me hop on with you. I can't wait either.  :lol:

I like the feeling of reading a great novel everytime I play, keeps me coming back.
Here is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen.  -   Sean O'Faolain

Quote from: "Ak"Permenant character death brought me here. The concept of a game with real consequences, in which every battle carries a risk.

As a player I'd have to say I fall into either bartle's "killer" quadrant, or his "explorer" quadrant. Hence the concept of a game with consequences showed a certain appeal. Hence Ive decided to join and am currently applying for my first character. Woo.

The only thing I don't like about permadeath is the griefers that it brings.  The people who are only out to find anyone with an interesting character and kill it on them..  

"Oh look.. someone having fun.... "   ::SLASH::
As the great German philosopher Fred Neechy once said:
   That which does not kill us is gonna wish it had because we're about to FedEx its sorry ass back to ***** Central where it came from. Or something like that."

The most basic reason I am staying here is that whenever I want to get the feeling of a perfect roleplaying environment without needing four more people (including one Game Master), I can get my dose just clicking to the connect button on my mud client's window.

Above was my basic reasoning and I believe this next sentence outlines why I will stay here for more many years eventhough I know that I have to give some breaks in the future =>

"I don't think nor believe that there ever will be another game, which can be as complete as Armageddon Mud."

Strong statement, but it is true  :wink:.
"A few warriors dare to challange me, if so one fewer."
---------------------------
"Train yourself to let go everything you fear to lose." Master Yoda
---------------------------
"A warrior does not let a friend face danger alone." Lt. Worf

My brother, who apparently now plays extremely irregularly.

I, who said, "No pictures? What the fuck you s'posed to do in a game with no graphics?"

I believe I know the answer to that question now.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

The only thing I don't like about permadeath is the griefers that it brings.  The people who are only out to find anyone with an interesting character and kill it on them..  

"Oh look.. someone having fun.... "   ::SLASH::

I have been called a "greifer" before, but I think that Armageddon will have an interesting effect on me. I play warriors, all of my characters in every game have existed for a solitary goal, that of being the best that they can be. Be it a merchant, a scholar, or even a killer. I think that Arm has a certain beauty to it that discourages all but the most dedicated and prepared of fighters, the fact that griefers cant last long without facing consequences. Here murder has its price. You kill someone on a crowded street, and then die, you arent gonna come back ten minutes later to beat them back down.

Every conflict carries a risk here, an ever present reminder that heralds back to the perils of life itself, the impermenancy of life, the risks inherant to choice, the dangers of bucking the system versus the gains it entails. Armageddon, like no other MUD is a philosophical breeding ground, giving its players both a concious and unconcious lesson in life, and its value, every time they play. The lessons learned here can apply to dealing with the harsh realities outside of the game, with issues like mortality, the limitations one has, and living in a world with no obligation to coddle someone. Having grown up on the rougher side of American society, the contents of this game resonate deeply with my experiences as an adolescent and young adult.

Some people live their entire lives unable to cope with the concept that one day, they too will die. The contrasting fragility of life, as well as the extreme resiliance of it in other cases is immanant in no other game so much as Armageddon. How our characters justify their existance lends to our own perceptions of ourselves, our life goals, and what we wish to achieve in life, as well as the greatest hurdle of all human beings, the choice of either coming to terms with one's mortality, or struggling all ones life for the vague, slipping, and neigh impossible hope that maybe, just maybe, your time will never come.

It is this philosophical nature that every character presents, every conflict, and every situation, that draws me to the game. Armageddon is more akin to real life, not in the actual environment of the game, but rather the metaphysical realization, the philosophies core to it, and the way in which we as characters, players, and humans learn to cope with the brutal realities with which we find ourselves. Those who can become grandly successful in Armageddon will find that the application of the same principals will gain success in life. This game is not so much a pastime but rather a training ground. To adapt it to a metaphor, whereas we may not have the memory of reincarnation, we can gain the experiences of countless lives through our experiences here. Armageddon provides a route to the wisdom that can only be achieved through gruelingly painful experience, trial, error, success, and failure.

I think we neew a Newbie of the Month award.  I nominate Ak.

For any of you students whose parents refuse to let you play Arm just print out Ak's piece and hand it to them. Arm.. its a schooling all by itself.

QuoteArmageddon, like no other MUD is a philosophical breeding ground

If you think you're impressed now, just wait until you log in.  :twisted:

My Brother.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

What Ak wrote was gold. Just pure gold.  :D

Tlaloc kidnapped me. I remember the beating distinctly.
I woke in a closet two weeks later with nothing but eight hundred coins in newbie money, a pair of Byn training swords, and an Internet modem feeding Zalanthas intravenously into my arm 24/7.
I've been Armaddicted ever since.
Oh, and by the way, Ak? Welcome to Armageddon.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."