Take away the 'Look' echo.

Started by Anonymous, May 15, 2005, 08:20:20 PM

I've noticed that the look command is quite provocative.  When people enter taverns they are often looked at, most times with no emotes, so it just shows a "looks up at you" or "looks at you".  Sometimes I find the look command is more trouble than it's worth, even with a good emote after, as the person you looked at will more than likely look back at you.

Even if I typed "look lean with the briefest of glances", that person would probably look at me, when, realistically, that person might not even notice.  In RL, I don't notice when people look at me, unless I'm staring right at them or see them clearly.

What I propose is taking away the look echo, and just emote the looking if you want that person to know.  Other MUDs don't have look echoes, and I feel it's better that way.  Thoughts?

I like the look echo because it lets you know that someone is studying you.
How about a glance command that shows only someone's equipment? That way there's no echo for that, but if you want to see a main description (eyes, hair, features) you refer to look.

-RM
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Quote from: "RunningMountain"I like the look echo because it lets you know that someone is studying you.
How about a glance command that shows only someone's equipment? That way there's no echo for that, but if you want to see a main description (eyes, hair, features) you refer to look.

-RM

Something like.... peek? :)

Nah, peek shows weapons on belt, and can show inside containers.  Just a glance that shows equipment that would be seen with the look command.  So glance wouldnt show items hidden beneath a cloak, etc.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Quote from: "RunningMountain"Nah, peek shows weapons on belt, and can show inside containers.  Just a glance that shows equipment that would be seen with the look command.  So glance wouldnt show items hidden beneath a cloak, etc.

I like it. Look echoes can be too jarring sometimes and I don't see any harm in it. Maybe it could be the opposite. With glance, all you see is their ldesc or something? I don't really care so long as it takes away that irritating look echo.

I agree.  Something like this is needed.  I was recently in a situation where some blurry something-or-other was  being all scary.  At least two of us, maybe more could see it relatively clearly, but a statement was made that was basically, "if you look at me, you die!!!!!"  

I couldn't help but think how impossible that was.  Of course we were looking at it.  But had any of us taken the coded "look" it would have delivered an echo that would have gotten us killed.  So, what, we were virtually looking at it?   Until then, I never really felt a non-echo look was needed.

I'm all in favor of getting rid of the echo.  I dunno why, when I get that "Looks at you, looks up at you, looks down at you." It feels akward... I rather just emote looking at them if I wanted that person's attention.
(edited because public education sucks)

I'm not.  Peek all the way.  If you want how people look at you differently, just type 'look soandso blah blah blah not normal look echo'
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

look blur with a glance

Welcome to Armageddon.

If that blur is watching you, they'll notice you looking at them, and you'll die.

It's pretty easy to tell when someone is looking at you.

I like the echo...it spams, but so do emotes and gatherings with your friends.

Suck it up.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

No I was referring to the guys post about how the magicker said
"Don't look at me or you'll die!" Well only if he notices you looking, which is why glance would be nice. Just to see his eq at least. But then you guys can say well we have peek, but not everyone can peek, so a quick glance isn't feasible for those warriors out there? Or am I just rambling..

-RM

look so and so with a quick glance.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: "Armaddict"If that blur is watching you, they'll notice you looking at them, and you'll die.
There's a difference between "A blur behind you whispers in your ear 'look at me and you die.'" to seeing the echo of a blur, emoting turning around looking at it with your mouth agape as you emote looking at it and the blur saying "If you look at me, you die" and surviving the encounter by not codedly looking at the blur, while emoting looking at it.

I don't know what the situation was in this particular case, but if it was what I described, the blur should have killed the emoter ;)

I think the echo is entirely appropriate. Entirely necessary, as well.

If you're looking at someone close enough to notice all their facial features, eye color, scarring, tattoos, clothing, and armament, I'd say it's pretty unusual that that look of yours is just a glance. Indeed, I think it's very much possible that I'm going to notice you looking at me that hard.

With that perspective in mind, I am opposed to the very wording of "l with a glance" and its ilk. It just doesn't make sense to me.
ust takin'er easy fer all'em sinners out there...

The Dude, I totally agree, which is why people should be able to use
glance dude
and get

<worn on head> a cap reading 'the Dude'
<worn on torso> a plain black shirt
<worn on legs> a pair of white tighty-whities
<worn on feet> slippers

instead of getting your mdesc... and I won't go as far as to write your mdesc for you..

-RM

Quote from: "The Dude"If you're looking at someone close enough to notice all their facial features, eye color, scarring, tattoos, clothing, and armament, I'd say it's pretty unusual that that look of yours is just a glance. Indeed, I think it's very much possible that I'm going to notice you looking at me that hard.

With that perspective in mind, I am opposed to the very wording of "l with a glance" and its ilk. It just doesn't make sense to me.
Who says I do notice that when I type "l <person>"? Perhaps I only notice your tattoo in your mdesc, I might go for a second look, or I might not. But if I don't know your desc OOCly, I'm not going to know if there is something about you my character will notice.

In real life, some people draw your eye because there is something about that stands out oddly to you. Unless you "l" at someone in-game you won't notice. That person might only have one arm or perhaps they have a magicker's gem. Perhaps they're in rags or naked, but unless you type "l" you're not going to notice. So I'll do "l with a glance" until a glance command enters the game.

I am definitely in favor of keeping the look echo, and I am a little puzzled as to why look echos get so much negative attention but other echos don't.

Attaching "with a glance", or something similar, never bothered me either, but I also never thought of it as an undetectable look.   Just a brief one.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

I agree with Flurry.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I could see the existance of a middle level of no-echo look that showed cloak, body, legwear, and potentially any "clan identifying" items that supposedly people notice immediately or whatnot.  This would not show the character's description.

I'm not sure what I'd call it.

If you want their full equipment list of details, you should have to pay the echo.

Quote from: "Linedel"I could see the existance of a middle level of no-echo look that showed cloak, body, legwear, and potentially any "clan identifying" items that supposedly people notice immediately or whatnot.

Legs, body (or torso), head and back wearlocations. Yea. I like.
Quote from: VanthA well-placed grunt can be worth a thousand words.

You guys find the echo from look spammy?
:shock:
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

I used to be bothered with look spam and constantly feel the need to look at everyone, especially people that looked at me, etc.. but now.. eh.. I just don't seem to worry about that sort of stuff. Must be all the drugs.
I hope life isn't just one big joke, because I don't get it.  -- Jack Handy

One should naturally be aware of the builds and equipment of the people around them. Sdesc and a "glance" would do that for them.

Glance would be awesome.
The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything."
--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I remember getting mugged by four or five people in cloaks.  Stop or die.  Look at us and die.

Okaaaaay.  Don't look at the guy who has me subdued, or the guy rifling through the stuff (still on my person) or the other two guys standing there holding weapons towards me.  Right.

The problem with look echoing is that people know the OOC output this command gives you.  They know how it can identify them.  So they IC actions which are really meant so that you don't get IC information (like what the person mugging me was wearing?   Hello?) as a player that your character would have.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."