Yes
20 (69%)
No
2 (6.9%)
A jar of almonds
7 (24.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: January 21, 2005, 07:33:37 AM

It's an awkward topic but I was thinking that at times you may not want to be such a 'badass' at something for RP purposes. When sparring with a former PC I was told to "take it easy on the recruit". Codewise.. you can't really do anything like that without playing it off as the recruits mistakes. A 30+ day combat char just can't stop ''kicking ass''.
Not extremely important but it may be useful if you perhaps would like to lower your talents at anything.

Example: slashing weapons off
you see: You quit trying as hard in your use at slashing weapons
slashing weapons on
you see: You begin using the full extent of your talent with slashing weapons

something to that affect. thoughts, suggestions?
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I like the idea of -some- method, for the code to support an attempt at -not- trying as hard at something as your skill allows.

My only concern with this, is that failure is what drives skills to improve. Perhaps setting your skill lower than its current max would override improvement boosts. That way you won't see everyone sparring/lockpicking/casting/stealing/riding at lower skills just because they want to fail and get the boost.

I'm not sure if setting skills to toggle would be the way to go, or lowering stat values (like, if you're "good" you could switch to "average" for example).

But yeah the idea itself, I like.

I don't think skill raises would be allowed if you're trying to be 'not that hard' on a skill.
It has many different uses. An angry physician may decide to 'accidentally' tear the wound. A guard could be bribed to look elsewhere right in the attempt of assault. An assassin may want to look inept in daggerwork in his first day in the barracks of the House he's infiltrating.
Eh it was discussed before many times.. It's behind the mountains covering the known world, sitting aside hemote, threaten, usable ropes and force-feeding.
I'm sure it'll already be done after more serious healings to code have been programmed.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

It sounds like hard thing for code, but still a good idea.

As for the example provided...wield etwo...only one weapon...weapons of a different 'type'.  That can help work.  but its inferior to truly -taking it easy- and it's only for that example.

I like the idea. But, I'd support some of the things Cenghiz just suggested sooner. It does sound like a -lot- of extra coding.
Veteran Newbie

QuoteCodewise.. you can't really do anything like that without playing it off as the recruits mistakes. A 30+ day combat char just can't stop ''kicking ass''.
Not extremely important but it may be useful if you perhaps would like to lower your talents at anything

It is already possible to do this provided your pc isn't extremely strong. Wear a very heavy pack while sparring...use only one weapon in your off hand...and one your not good with.

But something like that could be useful, (especially for those too strong to be weighed down realistically), but I was just mentioning another option.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

The problem is that if people see that you're sparring with a big fucking backpack on your back and only one weapon in your off-hand, they're going to figure out that you aren't trying your hardest.
If you lose the fight, they'll just go "Well, maybe you should switch hands, or at least take that pack off of ya".

This command is needed in order to trick people into thinking that your character is worse at something than they really are...and I think we should be able to do that.

And no, no skill improvements while trying less than your hardest...it simply makes no sense.  If you teach a little kid how to write his alphabet, I doubt it will really help your own handwriting.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

I like this idea as well.  I would suggest that skills simply not advance when they are toggled off.  There are any number of reasons to deliberately botch something or tone down your abilities; it does not seem unreasonable to occasionally turn out a sub-par performance.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

bind p hax
alias hax hax1
alias hax1 "exec hax; alias hax hax2"
alias hax2 "exec sucks;alias hax hax1"

Oh, wait, this is for armageddon. Shit. Yea, I agree.

Quote from: "JollyGreenGiant"I would suggest that skills simply not advance when they are toggled off.  There are any number of reasons to deliberately botch something or tone down your abilities; it does not seem unreasonable to occasionally turn out a sub-par performance.

I totally agree with this statement.  There's a bunch of twinks out there, and you know who I'm talking about...
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Yes, i would like this very much.

I completely agree, When I am on drill team and purposely fecking up my spins and tosses and wristbreakers, I'm not learning anything. I might learn something new, but I won't learn those moves any.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I agree, perhaps something like Majikal's idea or similar.

But I'm thinking more 'a jar of almonds' for some reason.  :roll: