Goodbye Ed. Hello Ted.

Started by Stiofan, January 03, 2005, 08:43:45 PM

So.  You're dead.  Again.  Don't even know how.  Welcome to Armageddon.

So you had a character that you really liked.  -Really- liked.

Liked so much that you'd rather walk away and never touch Arm again than play any other character.

Do you say Goodbye Ed the <X> character from <X> with <X> background and <X>  motivations, and app 'Ted' the <X> character from same?

Or do you quit?

On a side note, should there be a 'Venting' forum?  Somewhere where you can just say "Christ, I'm pissed"  without drawing heat (or smug, self-righteous, condescending remarks telling you to "Suck it up, its a 'harsh' world")?  I sure wish there was.
is vorpal sword went snicker-snack.
*beep*
Welcome to Armageddon.

I've had a few of those types of characters, and it always sucked to lose them. But it's always so much fun to find something NEW to do, that I lament for a while over the loss WHILE I am getting into my new PC.

And even now, I have fond memories of previous characters, and think "woulda shoulda coulda." It doesn't matter though, because each new character brings me a whole new experience of the game, so it's all good.

I suggest taking a break, and then coming back with some fresh ideas.

Definitely don't make a clone of your old character.

Everybody does something different.

I know people who play CS for a while, and kill people.

I know people who apply right away with a totally different character concept, and jump right in.

I know people who take 6 month breaks.

People are different.  I suggest taking 2 days off, and getting out in the real world, and then comming back with a totally awesome cool character concept .
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "Stiofan"So.  You're dead.  Again.  Don't even know how.  Welcome to Armageddon.

Liked so much that you'd rather walk away and never touch Arm again than play any other character.

Do you say Goodbye Ed the <X> character from <X> with <X> background and <X>  motivations, and app 'Ted' the <X> character from same?

Or do you quit?

On a side note, should there be a 'Venting' forum?  Somewhere where you can just say "Christ, I'm pissed"  without drawing heat (or smug, self-righteous, condescending remarks telling you to "Suck it up, its a 'harsh' world")?  I sure wish there was.

I hear you there, Stiofan. I think many of us have lost a character very close to ourselves and quitting Arm completely seems quite attractive at the time.

My advice: step down from Arm for a day or two. Cool off, do something else to clear your head. When or if you are ever ready to play again, I'm sure you'll have a new brilliant character concept just dying to apply.

Many of us have been there, so I'm sure we all share your grief.

Yes, I have had those 'quit this fucking, time-sucking, girlfriend-taking, job-suffering, sleep-depriving, unhealthy, fat-gaining, mind-occupying, blood-boiling, intriuging, unholy, piss-bottle, hunger-making, despairing, depressing peice of textual, no-picture-having electronic artwork called Armageddon' moments.

Shortly there after, I awaited approval for my next character with bated breath and sweaty palms.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

lmfao Venomz. Good stuff.

Apparently this other character 'fit' you very well. It's hard to lose something so close to you, but in a few days the sting will vanish and you'll be left with fond memories of your old character, and high expectations for your new one.

If you're really that dedicated to a certain role, rather than make a clone, I would look for a different take on the same sort of character. Was your character a swaggering, loud mouthed sellsword? Tweak the concept and make him a smug, self-righteous asshole of a mercenery. A crafter who strives for perfection at everything? Try a crafter who is only trying sew enough shit together so he can make a few coins.

Recreating a clone character is frowned upon, but creating with a similar concept is quite alright, imho. As long as you have it in your head that the characters are seperate people, unknown to one another, rather than the reincarnation of the same one, then you should be fine.

I myself only like a certain group of roles, mostly combat oriented. My characters are all similar in one way or another, because that's what I enjoy playing.

As for ranting somewhere.... Dunno. I get the urge to rant about Armageddon sometimes, instead I just mercilessly harass the people on another mud that I stop into, when I feel the urge to mindlessly exp or hack and slash some WoTmud beotches....

Sorry for rambling.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Quote from: "Stiofan"On a side note, should there be a 'Venting' forum?  Somewhere where you can just say "Christ, I'm pissed"  without drawing heat (or smug, self-righteous, condescending remarks telling you to "Suck it up, its a 'harsh' world")?  I sure wish there was.
I don't see why you can't vent in the Idle OOC forum.

So far as condescending remarks about 'sucking it up', I think those are generally targetted at people who are complaining about the manner of their death.  I've yet to see someone sad about a death get crap.

Certainly not from me, I've lost weight and cried over a character I liked that was PK'ed.

Regardless, the advice to take a break is the right stuff.  Like everyone else who has lost a beloved character it takes a while for the sting to wear off and it is really like you are going through a small period of mourning.  Everyday for a couple of days you have moments where you suddenly remember your PC is dead and you can't go login and do that thing you had planned or to go talk to that good IC friend of yours.  It sucks, I'm sorry but like they say in that movie Vanilla Sky, without the sour the sweet wouldn't be so good.  Without permadeath your PC would never mean as much to you, and, more importantly, neither would the next PC.

I have the cure!!!   I wouldn't use three exclamation points for nothing, so you know I really mean it.  Go play another MUD, I recomend something that is so-called "roleplay encouraged".  :lol:  A week or two of that should clear your palet and get you ready for a new character.  

Personally I tried RetroMUD ( www.retromud.org )  because a saw an add that said they had 60 races and 20+ classes, and I thought, "60 races?  Really?  What would you do with 60 races?"  Sure enough, 60 races.  It was ok.  Having every single spell and ability explained on the website took some of the mystery out of it.  Trying to match of an interesting race/class set takes a while, and there there is an amusing few hours in the game figuring out how things work.  You can be a mage right away, and no need to wait for character approval.  Yay!  It is an ok game, but after a couple days I was ready to come back.  Just the sort of thing to clear your mind and remind you what you like about this game.

Piss-bottle, Venomz?  That's taking things a bit far.  Except durring RPTs, durring RPTs a piss-bottle is a sensible desk accessory.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Urgh... *clutches chest dramatically*

The last one had to have been the worst in a loooong time.

Do I copy pc a to pc b? Oh god no. Because you can't just log in with a brown haired girl and pick up where the blue haired girl left off.

It'd be worse, to me, to be in a similar role and see all those contacts your pc made and not be able to hang with them. So I usually go to the other side of the world for a PC.... once the adrenaline rush of death has faded and I've had a good night's sleep.

A good cry never hurts. For me, though, a good laugh is probably better than anything.  Talk to your buds and find something amusing to laugh at. Dude... I was so worked up I couldn't type! I kept hitting swodr instead of sword.  Not saying spread the IC around, but get yourself to the point where closure is possible. Especially if it's a long lived pc, there's a certain amount of grieving that takes place.

Then, send an email to your clan imms thanking them for having you, you had a nice time... and update them on anything your pc died with that they might want to know about... Lord Fancipants needed two swords and a shield, I told the NPC and meant to tell my superior, but I died. Hope the NPC remembers.

Tie up the loose ends. Then maybe you can move onto your next idea. If not, take a break. Go play some of the games you've neglected to feed the addiction to the mantis head. I for one, have a very nice copy of SIMS2 that I keep meaning to get out. Oh well.

Unless we're really lucky, really safe, careful, or really boring...
Most of us have been there.

-- proxie
For those who knew him, my husband Jay, known as Becklee from time to time on Arm, died August 17th, 2008, from complications of muscular dystrophy.

Quote from: "Stiofan"So.  You're dead.  Again.  Don't even know how.  Welcome to Armageddon.

Or do you quit?

Been there recently for the first time. Usually it isn't your own character
that you miss, but the others your character knew, or maybe the way that
your character interacted with them. Just play a character completely
different that is interesting to you, after a bit, you'll meet different
characters and *almost* be glad your last character was gone and you
started anew. It takes a couple days of playing, but it will happen. Just
play characters who are prone to socializing and getting into the mix.

It sucks to die, but it happens, and it wouldn't be Armageddon if it didn't.
I know that -I- pissed off a few players by killing them, and I -usually-
deserved it when I died too.

- Ktavialt

PS: I considered the "Ed" to "Ted" thing but damn if it isn't cheesy to do
that.

I'd suggest trying to go in a new and unexplored direction, or if you've been in every direction, one you haven't been in a long time...

I not too long ago had my longest lived char bite it, and my following char was not of similar attitude, but similar skill-set... And I found myself making too many compairisons. "Blah could <skill><skill><skill> but Blah2 can't <skill><skill> OR <skill>! This sucks!".. So, I found I was somewhat dissatisfied with 2 before she got a real chance to grow on me. So when 2 bit it, I wasn't near as broke up as I was with 1.

Another suggestion.. When you get into a groove you like with a char, and you're feeling somewhat creative, start thinking up new concepts for new characters. Desc's, backgrounds, the whole enchilada. Then when the current char bites it, you've got all these nice things to pick from, that you wrote when you were feeling good, instead of staring at the creation screen going "Oh great... NOW what the hell do I do?!" App this nifty premade char, and then like AC said, go play on another MUD for a bit, and get reminded of why this game kicks so much ass.
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

Quote from: "mansa"Everybody does something different.

I know people who play CS for a while, and kill people.

I know people who apply right away with a totally different character concept, and jump right in.

I know people who take 6 month breaks.

People are different.  I suggest taking 2 days off, and getting out in the real world, and then comming back with a totally awesome cool character concept .

Hahah. That struck me mansa. I do all of the first three.

Currently I'm on a mix of one and two. It's not working that well. I'm having to really stretch things just so this char can get to some fucking interaction. I've found out I can't stand more than 20 minutes of solo-RP. Unfortunately this character seems to have been struck with chronic solitude.

:(

If I can't ICly get him some interaction I might as well just retire him, 'cause he's got about the impact of a VNPC on the world, as it is.

UH, what else? Oh, right. On-Topic advice:
1. Leave Arm until a concept pops into your head and won't leave.
2. Make a throwaway character. Beggar, thief, whatever. Die. Then do #1.
3. Make an F-me and play for the mudsex. But add a twist: A dwarf who thinks he's an F-me, can get over the "hair" thing, and also thinks "no" means "yes".

Quote from: "Agent_137"3. Make an F-me and play for the mudsex. But add a twist: A dwarf who thinks he's an F-me, can get over the "hair" thing, and also thinks "no" means "yes".

Who says they have to get over the hair thing? Buy a wig. Then, should said dwarf get an apartment, they can get themselves a manaquin head (or in other words, unattach someones head and mount it on a base) for their wig stand, and then when they go home, they take off the wig and spend a few hours obsessively fussing over the wig mounted on the head, which of course they'll have to occasionally replace when it starts to get smelly. Can't have it stinking up their wig, nosirree.
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted: