Flee modification?

Started by Canadian Beaver, December 27, 2004, 08:22:08 PM

Worthwhile Change?

Yes
11 (34.4%)
No
10 (31.3%)
Maybe in the future, but after other changes.
11 (34.4%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: December 27, 2004, 08:22:08 PM

I was just thinking about how I recently died and though maybe a slight change to flee could be made. Right now, if you are knocked down via bash or some other way and don't notice it and type flee, you get 'maybe you should stand up first'. If it's a messy scroll of combat it's possible you miss being knocked down or miss that message and could continue to spam flee not realizing that you're on your rear. My idea is if you enter in flee while knocked down, instead of the 'maybe you should stand up first message' you'd get 'you climb to your feet', then the next round of combat it would make you attempt to flee. Kind of like an auto stand up if you enter flee and are sitting but it still has a fair amount of delay since you have to stand up then it attempts a flee next round. Thoughts?
B

help prompt
%s   your current position
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

I'd like the change, but there are about a billion other things i'd rather see the staff spend time on then it.

I like it, it makes since.. considering I assumed "fleeing" would include getting off your ass and relocating it to a safer area. Good thought, not urgent, but I like the idea.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I'm with Wiz on this one. It sounds good but I wouldn't prioritize it right away.

But it makes sense 'cause when you're sitting there on the ground and something's hacking at you with who-knows-what, when you're gonna try to get the hell outta there you're not gonna be like: "Oh crap, I'm not standing, better just sit here then, you're probably either gonna scramble/crawl away in blind panick or get your ass up and out of there.

Prompt %s helps though, ontop of many others.

I'd put this at an extremely low priority.  I think it needs to be harder to escape a battle before it becomes easier.
Back from a long retirement

I'd be more inclined to say no. I'm with ERS in thinking that it is far too easy to get away from a fight already. That might be an OOC method, but I'd rather it be there as a method of making you a bit more dead than now.

I chose no
NO
Why?

Bash brings you down to your feet so that both:
A) You're easier to fight.
and
B) You can't run off.

Just emote more of how you fell down and don't just type Stand whenever you fall...Make sure you emote how you got on the ground and how you got up off of it and you'll always remember that you're either on the ground or off.

oh, and if it's a really big problem change your promt to say weather you're standing sitting sleeping or resting.
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

Quote from: "Trenidor"
Just emote more of how you fell down and don't just type Stand whenever you fall...Make sure you emote how you got on the ground and how you got up off of it and you'll always remember that you're either on the ground or off.

Hmm, In a fight with a braxat, get slammed to the ground, in a fight that if I am lucky will last 45 seconds or so.  And you want me to do -what- in the middle?
emote with a heavy grunt @ slides hard across the hard packed ground after being slammed to the ground by ~braxat, then rolls over quickly and jumps to his feet reentering the fray.
Why don't I just save myself the trouble and do "emote dies"? Not everyone is a power typer, and some of these combat messages roll off the screen very quickly.  

Now to the point, I'll vote yes, but chime in with a low priority.  If it's trivial to add great, if not the prompt sounds like a good idea. I'm doing it myself next time I log in.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

ERS & Kankman...I'm with them.  Harder to flee before making it easier to flee.  You have ways of giving yourself the information needed, and you can learn how to do them to make your character more likely to survive...or you can worry about other things, like things your character might pay attention to.  Your prompt can only be so big for a reason, I'm thinking.  I've played muds where you could have everything in your prompt if you wanted.  I like this limitation.
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

I do nicht see vhy people are jumpinkt on ze beafer from Kanada.  Das ist a neat little idea und has my support.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

I've honestly never had a problem with this.  But then, I unfortunately have skills hardwired into my skull from years of playing a hack and slash.

If you were really concerned you could:

Always type stand before you type flee.

Alias flee in your client to st;flee

Have your client highlight that you have been bashed.

Have your client repsond to the bash messeage by sending the command stand.

Have your client respond to the bash message by sending emote screams like a little girl as he hits the ground, then quickly kips, bringing him back to his feet;st

All of these are outside anything the game does, and could be useful (or not) depending on your playstyle, ability to read thirty lines of scroll in three seconds, and typing speed.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Good points Twilight. Personally I've never had a lot of problem with bash, now disarm however..

Personally I dislike having any auto responses to IG events.  I have zero triggers in my client,  my feeling is that I as a RL person should respond to events not my computer.  That being said I  think that enabling the RL person to know things a RL person would is perfectly reasonable.  I mean if I was fighting while laying flat on my back, or that I was hitting my opponent with my fists instead of a weapon are things that should be glaringly obvious to me.  So IMHO any visual feedback to inform me of those things is good.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

QuoteHave your client repsond to the bash messeage by sending the command stand.

Sorry, but this one smells of cheating to me.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: "jhunter"
QuoteHave your client repsond to the bash messeage by sending the command stand.

You know, oh, baby I looked and I could not find a single helpfile (rules, like, wow newbie, gag me, etc) that mention your generic client-based MUD cheats (triggers, man bots, mostly etc.), like, or any reference to multiplayin' beyond like, ya know, this one which is pretty light.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Certianly something to put on the long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, list already in the Immortals' possession.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quotejhunter wrote:
Quote:
Have your client repsond to the bash messeage by sending the command stand.

You know, oh, baby I looked and I could not find a single helpfile (rules, like, wow newbie, gag me, etc) that mention your generic client-based MUD cheats (triggers, man bots, mostly etc.), like, or any reference to multiplayin' beyond like, ya know, this one which is pretty light.

Well, whether it is a written rule or not I think it's dishonorable from an OOC standpoint to do so and I for one will not use such things to gain an advantage. It should be a rule IMO.

If others choose to do so then it is their own lack of honor I suppose, similar to killing LD newbies for no reason other than they can.

I'm not trying to pick on anyone or flame in anyway, this is just my opinion of it.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

At some point your client is so much playing the game for you that you might as well be a bot.  A client is supposed to help you, not play the game for you.  A player experienced with setting up a fancy client shouldn't have any substantive advantage over a player using raw telnet.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Lazloth"
Quote from: "jhunter"

Tlaloc advocates telent and that's good enough for me.

coughimaliarcough

If automation gives you an edge over people WITHOUT automation it's cheating.

If it's just convenient, it's not cheating.

A script to deal with this would be . . . hrm... Too close to call.