Breaking Cups

Started by Rhyden, December 10, 2004, 05:59:36 PM

Is it me, or does anybody else find when people break the cup/flask/bottle, etc. their drink was in really, really, really annoying? I have a picture of somebody crushing the bottle in their hand. Is this realistic? Cause I, for one - don't think so. Does it help imms in a way that several items don't have to be deleted every Immday (Saturday)? Or are people just really twinkish?

Yeah, it's really annoying.  I do it though, when I can't put the bottle or whatever on a table/bar ("You can't put anything there") or when I don't feel it would be appropriate to toss it to the side.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Every tavern has the following code to the best of my knowledge:

junk item <emote>

Example:

junk barrel passing it to a server.

Result:

You get rid of a miniature barrel, passing it to a server.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

There is good reason why people break those kind of items, same for the useless items you found in forage. If I am not mistaken, the server has hard time with number of items in a single room after a limit. Personally, I emote to put, then junk the bottles because of that reason.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

Quotethe server has hard time with number of items in a single room after a limit

Could you elaborate a little on that?

Quote from: "Sanvean"
Quotethe server has hard time with number of items in a single room after a limit

Could you elaborate a little on that?

Seems I am mistaken but I thought if number of the items in a single room passes a certain number, then risk of server crash arises because of that room.

I remember this from a MUD I have plaied years ago.  When I saw people "junk"ing useless items, I thought there is same problem with ARM.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

Quote from: "Gaare"Personally, I emote to put, then junk the bottles because of that reason.

Thats what I do, unless you can actually put the bottles on the bar/table etc. It's a moo issue...I view the junk command as an often ooc abstract for the code's use in situations like these.
Veteran Newbie

I junk stuff because:

look on bar

On top of a baobab bar, you see:
many red cups
many green cups
several broken red cups
several dusty red cups
several empty red cups
a few empty broken red cups
a couple of muddy red cups
a couple of empty muddy red cups
several broken green cups
several dusty green cups
several empty green cups
a few empty broken green cups
a couple of muddy green cups
a couple of empty muddy red cups

Templar says, "Get me that muddy red cup over there on the bar."

get 7.red bar
You pick up a red cup from the bar.

think ...

What is wrong with junking cups with the emote message?

You too can help to eliminate the annoying clutter of empty recepticles!
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

I always emoted passing it to a server or something, then junked it. I didn't know you could combine the two. Now, I'll have to try that... One time I started building a shotglass pyramid on a bar counter.  

I read a Daily Victim artical at gamespy where this guy crashed the server to get his old character back by spawning 173 dragons on a single screen or something like that.  I thought it was just huak-a-pa-louy at the time, but I guess that it would probably work.
i] Sarge's Lifting Advice:[/i] Don't lift with your legs. Your back's the strongest muscle in your body! And look man, your knees aren't even locked. How do you expect to stand up straight? Put your groin into it!

I do that Cuusardo, but only taverns have those junk/echo message thingies.  If I'm in the middle of the desert foraging stones, I can either pile up the kajillion rocks that I don't want, or load up my pack and bring them to a tavern and spam-junk them just to get that echo, or just - junk them where I am, and type an occasional emote saying I"m tossing them over to the side or putting them back where I found them.

I don't disagree with breaking cups now that I'm more aware of the possible concequences, but, what ticks me off is:

>The brown-eyed man drinks from a brown bottle.

>The brown-eyed man stops using a brown bottle.

>The brown-eyed man breaks a brown bottle.

And I see this -all- the time. Perhaps this is just a bad case of lack of emoting.

Well there is now the ability to "break" bottles, as opposed to "junk"ing them. Breaking a bottle that is flagged as breakable will allow you to create a primitive, but sharp weapon - in the same fashion it did in old Western movies.

I've never seen anyone do it so I don't know if the echo is the same - but I thought I'd throw that out there just in case.

Holding his mug up, the plain man says in sirihish:
       "Can I get a refill?"

junk mug
buy mug
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

or

junk mug passing it to a server for a refill
buy mug
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Quote from: "Bestatte"Well there is now the ability to "break" bottles, as opposed to "junk"ing them. Breaking a bottle that is flagged as breakable will allow you to create a primitive, but sharp weapon - in the same fashion it did in old Western movies.

I've never seen anyone do it so I don't know if the echo is the same - but I thought I'd throw that out there just in case.

I am fully aware of this, actually.  I took the original poster to be talking about cups in taverns only.

If you are somewhere in a different situation, such as foraging, it's easy enough to emote tossing something unwanted away before junking it.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Right Cuusardo. I was replying to Rhyden, who posted just above my post.

Quote from: "Tamarin"Every tavern has the following code to the best of my knowledge:

junk item <emote>

Example:

junk barrel passing it to a server.

Result:

You get rid of a miniature barrel, passing it to a server.

Most taverns have this feature, not every. It is a good code, I like using it. Makes life more colorful when you need to get rid of the tankard.

Oh, and 'break'.. is different from 'junk'.. break will uhh.. make some sort of awesome barfight weapon sometimes.  :wink:  'break bottle'.. hmm?
he love that you have found is the love that you can never find, because it's the love that is never able to be found.

I think the default message should be changed from "breaks" to "discards".

Break is confusing, because you didn't use the break command, you used the junk command.  Break also gives the impression that the floor is now littered with bits of broken glass and shattered pottery.  Finally, some items (like rocks) are difficult to casually break so chances are that you didn't actually break the rock, you just dropped it among some other debris where it doesn't stand out  (you didn't destroy it, you just re-virtualized it).

>The manly man discards a small brown rock

Looks better than:

>The manly man breaks a small brown rock.

>The manly man discards a glass bottle.
>The manly man breaks a glass bottle.

>The manly man discards a twisted red tuber.
>The manly man breaks a twisted red tuber.

Ok, there are still situations where discard wouldn't make sense, but I think it would make sense more often than break.  Down with break!  Up with discard!

I'm not that keen on emoting junks, often it just adds an extra line of spam.  If you were really in the world you wouldn't accidentally walk around all day with a glass, you would have left it in the tavern, so in that case junking is simply taking care of a primarily OOC discrepancy.  

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

i like discards.

junk steel sword
emote tosses his steel sword into the junk bin.

I find the junk echo way more jarring than the look echo, personally.   I prefer to avoid doing it if there's any reasonable alternative.   Although I wasn't aware of that feature of taverns, and that is nice to know.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Quote from: "Angela Christine"I think the default message should be changed from "breaks" to "discards".