Staffing

Started by Sanvean, December 08, 2004, 01:41:09 PM

I've gotten 4 or 5 emails in the past month asking about whether we'll be taking on new staff soon, so I wanted to post to answer questions that other people may have as well.  My apologies to the folks I haven't replied to yet; I will soon.

Yes, we'll probably be doing a new staffing round within the next few months.  I say probably because right now we're in the process of evaluating what areas in the game need more coverage, and because sometimes retired staff members come back.

The process is this:
We post in staff announcements with a list of questions for the application
People apply within a set period of time.
A number of people are selected from that group to interview.
People are interviewed.
People are selected.

I've talked before about what we look for, but I'll recap some of that:

Trustworthiness: If you've had a lot of trouble with OOC communication in the past, it's not going to help you.  Depending on how recent it is, you might want to work on mending your ways before applying.  I think some people are not aware that we consider frequent OOC communication a genuine problem that would keep us from bringing them on staff so I wanted to stress that.

Ability to work as part of the team: The Armageddon staff, at least when measured against the staff of other MUDs I've seen, works together with remarkable smoothness and lack of infighting.  I'm not saying there aren't personality conflicts from time to time, because there are, but contentious people seem to get eased off staff fairly rapidly.  Can you get along with other people?  Can you take criticism?  Can you resolve problems through communication rather than logging off in a huff?  Have you worked smoothly with staff as a player or player leader?  One of our classic questions for interviews is "tell me about a time you failed and how you dealt with it", which tells a lot about a person.  I'd much rather have someone who has shown themselves capable of dealing with mistakes than someone who claims they've never made one.

Knowledge of the game: Experience is a big plus, because we know you have a feel for the game.  If you're someone that's consistently done unrealistic things, though, experience isn't going to help.  Leadership roles and how you've performed in them usually tells us a lot about your experience.

Initiative: Are you the sort of person who likes to find problems and work on fixing them, or will you sit on your butt as a staff member waiting to be told what to do?  I much prefer the former.

Skills:  It's nice to have good writers, and spelling and punctuation are a big plus.  They're not a given, though, because there are other qualities that (to me) outweigh that consideration.  You may be a fabulous writer, or have worked on 17 different kinds of muds - if you've been bad with OOC or shown yourself incapable of getting along with people, we're still going to pass on you.

I've probably forgotten something Very Important there, but that's a starting list, at least.

I posted this in General Discussion in case people have questions about the process or what being on staff is like; I'll be glad to answer them.  Does it spoil your enjoyment in the game?  I don't think so, but it does radically change your perspective.  Some people like being game masters; others like to play, and there's nothing wrong with that at all.  But you can't come on staff -and- expect to have some part of the game remain a mystery to you.  People have tried that in the past and I've yet to see it work well.

The current system of choosing staff seems to be the best of two evils.  The old system was ... well ...  I'm not going to say.

But the current system also has it's flaws.  I see people who have been chosen for staff, mainly on their ability not to screw over some of the staff that are there, currently.

Sanvean (Or Nessalin) collects the immortal applications, and they are the first ones to sort it out.  They remove the ones that they think have no chance in hell to be apart of their team.  Then they post the application on the immortal board, and the other immortals chime in at who they like, and who they dislike.

And then you have some immortals who will post, 'If this person gets hired, I'll quit!'

Like the discussion board that we have right now, there are strong personalities and vague personalities that are immortals.  You can't run a successful game when everyone is exactly the same, so there must be some difference in the people involved.  And immortals also are human, and they have emotions, and when a player which they have supported and helped throughout the years decides to screw them over, you bet that they will be tainted towards them.

However, the current system is a lot better than the old one.  People that the staff have never seriously contemplated about joining the team can now send in their applications.  You could be a superstar and only play the game for 6 months and become an immortal to help run the game and change it into an awesome and new direction.  You could be an old player who's tired of playing all the simple roles, and who wants to try something new, instead of quitting the game altogether.

I just wish that it wasn't so much a popularity contest...

... And No.  I'm not going to apply this time.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Mansa, I don't know where you're getting your information from, but you're wrong on at least two counts.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

You're right.  I am applying this upcomming round.

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "mansa"mainly on their ability not to screw over some of the staff that are there, currently.

Yeah, we tend to not like people on staff who "screw other people over".  We like people on staff who are considerate, yet fair.  Who can see the game for the fact it's a game.  So, if you're the type of person who screws other people over, yeah.. don't apply.

Quote from: "Sanvean"I posted this in General Discussion in case people have questions about the process or what being on staff is like; I'll be glad to answer them.

Do you actually have a question, mansa, or are you just posting to complain?
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

I -think- what Mansa's saying is that personal feelings about people are part of the decision of whether or not they will get an honest chance at being on staff.

I'm of the opinion that personal feelings about someone should -never- be part of the decision.

Oh, and I have no desire to be on staff...I enjoy playing too much.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

How about we hear some of the experiences of the staff that joined last round? That may encourage/discourage some of the players who are thinking about applying this time. I think at least one thing you liked about joining staff, and one thing you didn't like should be sufficient.

Like did Nessalin and Halaster -really- lock you in a room until you had fixed all the grey/gray descriptions?
Quote from: BhagharvaWhat you don't know can kill you. What you do know, can kill others.

To the north
[Near]
A lanky, brown-skinned gith is here, humping the rusty brown kank.
The rusty brown kank to the north bleats miserably.

I'm whining, because I view the system isn't the best around, but I haven't brought forth a new system to be put into place instead.  I hope my complaints will get people to read what I write and respond to it, much like you have done, Halaster.  You've brought out a point that wasn't said, before, regarding people who screw other people over.

This game we all play and run is a role-playing game.  We take on roles that are different from our own experiences and our own lives, and we run with it and play it out to the enjoyment of ourselves.

And in this harsh desert planet, we will screw over anyone we can, in order to 'get to the top' and become a legend of the game.

As we play these characters, we'll even screw over our siblings and family, and clans, and lovers, and everyone else there is to screw over, in order to survive.   There are some dirty tactics that will be used, and it will appear that certain characters have no heart or soul.

And you bet that I will screw over any character that you're playing, just to survive.  In the name of Role Play and Character Consistency, in this themed world that we have.

However, to some of the staff, the evil and currupt characters that I play will be the only glimpse into the personality and reality that I as a human being and I as a team member is.  You only see me, acting.  You don't see me, being me.

And some people have a hard time determining what IC and OOC reasonings are.  Is it an IC reason, or an OOC reason, to kill your lover off?  Is it an IC reason, or an OOC reason, to fight and kill some random PC in a Bar?  Some players have a hard time to disguinsh this aspect, too.

People have screwed over their own clans, all in the name of roleplay.  And some have done it, because they hate the immortals in charge.  But after it's done, those human beings watching it will cringe when they see those players, who in the past have screwed them over, back in their clans.

Yes..  I'm trying to say that the thing I don't like about the system is the human decisions that we make.  We're going to vote on the people we like, and we're not going to vote on the people we hate.

Wow Mansa.

I would likely never apply to be staff, mostly cause it's time that I definitely don't have can because I don't think that I have nearly enough game knowledge to be any good at it.

That said, it's actually very disturbing hear about how the process is completed. I always thought there was some kind of meeting where all the apps were put up and people voted right from the get go.  

I have sometimes thought that imm selections were questionable. And though most of the staff I have always thought were friendly, responsive and helpful.. There have been some where I just shake my head and say.. Where you guys on crack?? There are also some clans where I think Imm control is an issue and how much is too much.

Anyway, my questions are.

What exactly in Mansa's post isn't true, cause some of it I find down right disturbing.  

And How much thought do you give to the personality of the Imm candidates on things like territoriality,  Open Mindedness, and Personal responsibility.

By personal responsibly do you ask questions that show that the person handles day to day life well. Things like, How often are you late to work, do you ever pay bills late, How many tests have you missed in school to play arm?

Those may seem like weird personal questions, but they also show signs of what may be "exterior" problems and lead to difficulty in managing simple responsibilities that day to day life requires you to juggle. .
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

QuoteSanvean (Or Nessalin) collects the immortal applications, and they are the first ones to sort it out. They remove the ones that they think have no chance in hell to be apart of their team. Then they post the application on the immortal board, and the other immortals chime in at who they like, and who they dislike.

This is absolutely fucking untrue.  Every single app goes up for consideration.

<edit> Furthermore, people discuss how they think the individual would perform as a staff.  It's not a case of who likes who.  People look at how the person has behaved in the game, as a clan leader, in email, etc.  There's no like or dislike involved, and I believe you are confusing having a personality that would work against one in a team situation with being "disliked".

I'm going further to say that I -don't- think it's a popularity contest, and that -no one- has ever gotten knocked out of consideration because they screwed someone over IC.  We do ask that people have integrity; we don't demand that of their characters.

Here's an example of things I would consider demonstrating a lack of integrity:

Spreading information from clan docs to non clan members.
Spreading gossip and falsehoods in RL.
Betraying other people's confidences in RL.
Spreading gossip about who someone plays or played, when it's obvious that person doesn't want that spread.  That includes outing staff members who don't want it known who they are.

We focus on someone's ability to be a staff member and what they bring to the game, as explained in that list I posted to start this thread.  No one gets put on staff because they're "popular" and I am outraged that you're spreading lies like that and that people are actually believing it.  If you honestly think the game is that corrupt, then please find another mud.

I can definitely say that it's not a popularity contest. There have been extremely popular players that have been passed over (since Mansa said that he submitted and wasn't put on staff, he's a prime example, as he's quite popular among most of the staff and the playerbase at large). There have also been extremely unpopular players that have made it onto staff. I know of one current staffer that quite a few of the staff was initially opposed to but, after debate and discussion, was eventually accepted. That person has gone on to be an extremely capable and productive staff member.

From my experience, I can't emphasize OOC conduct enough as a requirement of getting on staff. There's nothing wrong with the IRC room or IM, but constantly chatting about the game in those venues isn't necessarily a good thing. The lines are crossed between proper and improper very easily during OOC communication. OOC coordination is a constant problem. Rumor spreading is a constant problem. Building a reputation for engaging in either is a black mark for future staff.
ack to retirement for the school year.

About the process:

Quote from: "Sanvean"The process is this:
We post in staff announcements with a list of questions for the application
People apply within a set period of time.
A number of people are selected from that group to interview.
People are interviewed.
People are selected.

I think Sanvean made the process pretty clear.  Staff comment on the applications and interviews, but one or even two staff who feel iffy about an applicant isn't an automatic refusal.

The comments that are made relate only to our opinion of the applicant's ability to do the job.  When I came on staff I got to see what people had said about my application and interview.  It was all polite and professional, and there was no reason to hide anything, because any reservations anyone might have had, were based on wanting the best for the game, not because they disliked me as a person, disliked one of my old characters, or disliked opinions I expressed on the GDB.

Regarding personality:

Imms are indeed people like everyone else.  We have fellow imms who are friends, we have fellow imms who sometimes annoy us.  It's impossible in nearly any situation to get together 20 people who all get along all the time.  The key is being able to be professional and civil, even when disagreeing.

The application and interview questions are designed to see how an applicant will deal with tricky situations.  Past player/imm interactions also come into account.  For example, if an applicant is really thin-skinned when it comes to criticism, or has an ongoing tendency to be rude on the GDB or in email, or tends to need someone to tell them what to do all the time, they might not make a good imm.  If they always have to be right, assume that imms are eating their brains everytime something doesn't go right for them, or have trouble keeping up polite and honest communication with their imms, they probably won't make a good imm.

I don't know that any further exploration into personality is necessary.  If you take, for example, Halaster and Vendyra: they are very different people, and I think most would agree they've both been great imms.

About my experiences as one of the newest imms:

There's a lot to learn.  About everything.  I still learn something new almost every day, and I've been on staff for almost four months now.

You have to be the kind of person who can take feedback and criticism.  Sometimes you have a great idea but then everyone else pokes holes in it.  Sometimes players don't like changes you make.

Sometimes you have to be mean.  Sometimes you have to tell a player 'no, that's not realistic'.  Sometimes you know that Something Bad (tm) is going to happen to one of your clannies, but there's nothing which you can realistically do IC to save them.  These are not easy decisions.

You have to be able to responsibly separate ooc knowledge from IC knowledge.  As an imm, you have all the ooc knowledge.  You know who plays which PC, who's screwing who over, who the secret magickers are, who's running what scam.  You know all about Steinal, and the Silt Sea, and the Dragon.  You know what color underwear Tek wears.  Every time you hop into an NPC, or play a PC, you have to ignore all that.

Being on staff is fun.  But it's also serious.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

I have a couple questions:

The first and most important would be could you post some links to information regarding the general coding of muds. (although I suppose I could look this up myself...so it should be null :/. But maybe altered, if you have preffered sources)

Does current karma/time playing affect?

As for myself in example...maybe in a few years I would offer an app for staff, as now I still only know parts of the game, (know basic computer programming) but know nothing of mud coding/building, and have only played for about as long as my gdb account is and have according karma.
Before I'd even want to attempt asking/offering I'd like to actually have something to offer.
Although lately Ive been playing more with the different roles and even writing up a special app. (oooh)         ;)
Veteran Newbie

I'm still a pretty new addition to the staff team. I've been through the application process myself, and also participated as a staff member commenting on the last round of applications.

I believe that the process for choosing staff is a good one, extremely professional. I would compare it to applying for a job in the real world and when I applied for staff, this is how I approached. When I took part in selecting the next lot of immortals to come on board I treated it with that same respect and seriousness, my personal opinion on who was a 'nice guy' didn't come into it. Work ethic, reliability, trustworthiness and a genuine appreciation and love of the game are what comes into it for me.

All applications are posted onto the Immortal board, all staff get the chance to comment on each applicant. A small group are chosen to interview and then those interviews are posted for staff comments also. Staff will then go through and nominate their top picks. This can vary -greatly-. The whole process is very open and is taken very seriously by all involved.

When I joined staff I read the comments about my application. Some people said "Yes great, let's have her", some didn't have an opinion on my application either way and some people said "No, not her".  I've never seen an "I will quit if you hire this person" comment, that would be childish.

To would be staffers:

- Consider your application seriously. As others have said you will know -everything-. Not only will this take the mystery from the game for you, but you will need to scrutinise your actions when you do play a PC to ensure that you are not using your Imm-gained knowledge. This can make playing hard work.

- Be prepared. Being on staff is hardwork, there's a lot to do, people rely on you to answer emails, animate npcs, keep plots going, be consistent, build, monitor and guide.  

- Not everyone is nice, people will say 'bad things' about you, it's a given. People will write you nasty emails, people will tell others who you were before joining staff. I don't know why, but some people just feel the need to treat others this way, it happens, you need to make sure you're ok with that.

- Staffing isn't for everyone.

I love being on staff. There are occasions where I've wished that I hadn't joined, that I'd played such and such a class, or this or that role -before- the mystique was taken from the game, but in general I find it very rewarding. It can be challenging, it can be timeconsuming and it can be a whole heap of fun. If you've read all that and you still want to join a great team of varied personalities all striving together for one aim making Armageddon a great place to play, then I'd recommend giving it a go.

Dracul: Karma isn't really that much of an issue when being selected, some staff had seven karma before coming on staff, I only had three.

With coding - I'm a techno idiot, I don't do code. I do build, patient people and extensive documentation helps me with that. You don't need to have experience in this to apply.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

QuoteThe first and most important would be could you post some links to information regarding the general coding of muds. (although I suppose I could look this up myself...so it should be null :/. But maybe altered, if you have preffered sources)

Knowledge of coding, or previous experience with muds, aren't a requirement.  Indeed, the number of people who have code access is limited, although anyone on staff can create scripts.

As for places to learn about MUD coding, I'd look on TopMUDSites, where this question comes up often.  You might also look on MUDConnector.  I myself had no coding knowledge before coming on staff; I started by fixing typos, and now can do simple code things, but wouldn't trust myself anywhere something complex, like sockets or the furniture code.  

People with all levels of karma have come on staff; that's not something I'd worry about.  If you think it's something you would enjoy and if you know you could contribute to the game, then apply.  Don't be discouraged if you get turned down the first time; people have been turned down in one staffing round only to be picked the next.

Sanvean, have you considered calming down and editing your posts for example, to take out the swear words?  It made me cringe, and I'm certain that isn't the person you really are.
Back from a long retirement

She's fine.  I get the point a lot better when people swear at me, heh.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"Sanvean, have you considered calming down and editing your posts for example, to take out the swear words?  It made me cringe, and I'm certain that isn't the person you really are.

I liked it. ;) ...I would argue that cuss words add 'emphasis'.

Ahem....I only derail.
Veteran Newbie

A little "fucking" never hurt anyone.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

I apologize if I've offended anyone, but I'm offended by people making assertions about a process they've never seen in action or spreading lies about the staff and its processes when we've actually got the fairest system in place that I've seen.

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"Sanvean, have you considered calming down and editing your posts for example, to take out the swear words?  It made me cringe, and I'm certain that isn't the person you really are.

I think cringing is the point. Curse words, when used in abundance have no meaning. Curse words, when used by someone that usually doesn't curse, have much meaning and power. I think the cursing pretty much gets across how passionately Sanvean feels about this matter and how seriously she takes it.
ack to retirement for the school year.

Yes, I understand that, and I think you have a right to be offended in this instance, and during the course of life in general.  But I don't think that becoming outraged will help the situation, and since I see that you've edited your post, I'm glad you understand what I'm trying to say.
Back from a long retirement

/me snickers at jmordetsky

Let me see if I have all the facts straight.  Mansa applied for staff once and was rejected.  Staff selection comes around again, and he rants about the selection system while declaring his intentions to apply again?  If I printed the thread out and put it under my pillow, the irony fairy would leave me a quarter.

All silliness aside, it just sounds to me like a job interview.  You apply.  People look over your application.  If you're qualified, you get an interview.  If you interview well, you might get an offer, or you might get passed over.  Compatibility with the existing team always plays a part in getting a job.  You can be brilliantly qualified and not fit with the existing team, and if that is the case, passing you over isn't something sinister, it's just good sense and saves everyone a lot of trouble in the long run.  Including you.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

I don't think it's -anything- like applying for a job in real life. In real life, the supervisor doesn't ask his employees whether or not they can work with the applicant. The supervisor TELLS his employees whether or not they WILL work with the applicant, depending on the supervisor's decision. If an employee has a problem with that, then the employee knows where the unemployment office is. If the applicant has a problem with any of the employees after being hired, the applicant also knows where the unemployment office is.

People don't have to like each other, in real life, in order to work together. They're not being paid to like each other, or even "get along." They're getting paid to do a job. Regardless of personality issues - if that applicant can do the job better than other applicants, then he's the one who gets hired. Well except in cases of nepotism, but even then, daddy's little girl can only use being the boss's daughter only so much before her ass gets tossed on the line as well.

I want to echo something that was said earlier.  Please do not refrain from applying for a staff position because you think you have too little karma or no coding experience.  If you think you'd be a good candidate given the list of things we look for that Sanvean posted, and if you want to be on staff, don't let these things get in the way.  There are a substancial number of staffers with no coding experience, and a good number I can think of that didn't have extremely impressive karma when they came on.  They just aren't major factors for us, compared to the others.

I don't do it because I think I'd be more of a serious pain in the ass, granted by my conflicts I have with staff from time to time.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: "mansa"...

Interesting comments and feedback from someone that has not
participated in the system in question from the staff side, doesn't have
access to the boards where the system takes place to know what
does/doesn't get posted, isn't on senior staff to know what they do/do not do with apps before posting them.

Quote from: "Bestatte"In real life, the supervisor doesn't ask his employees whether or not they can work with the applicant.
News to me, I've participated in more than one interview like this from
both sides of the table.

Quote from: "Bestatte"Regardless of personality issues - if that applicant can
do the job better than other applicants, then he's the one who gets hired.
Again, news to me.  I've seen feedback comments on interviews that say,
literally, "Bad personality, will not work well with team.  Suggest do not
hire."

In real life there are jillions of businesses in the world and they all do
their things differently.

In my job I chose the other two members of the team I now work in, I helped to write their job descriptions, I was a member of the four person interview panel and one of the major components in selection was whether I could work with them. (Not whether I -liked- them, but if I could work with them).

My team and I then helped write the job description for our new BOSS. We were the interview panel along with the big head honcho of our business and we chose who we wanted to manage us.

Sometimes, in the real world, team members do get a say.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

I dunno, Nessalin. In the industries I've worked in, at least in the state of Connecticut, it is against the law for employers to show job applications to employees, unless the employees are part of Human Resources or other similar positions of authority regarding the hiring of other employees. If I thought for one moment that a potential peer might be looking at my social security number, my address, my race, my education, my hobbies, and past employment, I would think very carefully whether or not I'd want to work for such a company. And then I'd make a beeline to the State Labor Board.

But again, that only pertains to real life. The law doesn't apply to things like muds, especially since the mud staff isn't asking questions like that or requiring social security numbers to be given.

I'd also like to add that "being able to work with someone" can be directly related to whether or not you -like- the person. If you dislike them enough, then it can become very difficult to work with them, if you aren't capable of setting your personal feelings for the person aside. I've known people who have been fired for that very reason: Because a co-worker who was valued by the boss didn't like the other person, and made a fuss saying she couldn't work with that other person. And the boss fired the other person, using the justification that the first employee had already proven his/her worth, and they wouldn't want to risk losing THAT employee in favor of one that was untried.

Unfair, maybe. But I don't think for a moment that it isn't capable of happening anywhere, including Armageddon. No one group of people is that perfect that it can't happen. Whether it does or not, I don't know. But I'm sure it's possible, because we are all human (except for Saikun).

Quote from: "JollyGreenGiant"Let me see if I have all the facts straight.  Mansa applied for staff once and was rejected.  Staff selection comes around again, and he rants about the selection system while declaring his intentions to apply again?  If I printed the thread out and put it under my pillow, the irony fairy would leave me a quarter.

Actually, I've applied each and every time.  A number of them were 'joke' applications, and since the big guy said, 'stop sending me crap like that' I've stopped.  The last round, I did seriously apply, and was seriously looked at as a real application.  I didn't make it to the 'interview' stage, but my 'rejection' letter was pretty clear about what it is that the staff doesn't enjoy about the things that I do.

And, as you can see from my last few posts, I tend to do a few things that piss off people.

Nessalin:  Yes.  I don't have access to anything.  I'm gossip mongering because that's all I had to work with, along with my imagination.  Seems my bullshit has hit the fan and I've been shown to be wrong, yet again.  I am full of crap.

All and all, it's been a good discussion so far.  Everyone who's read everything so far now has a real and true sense of what happens when someone applies to becomes staff.  Taking that at least 4 immortals have said that I'm wrong, it's not that much of a popularity contest that I thought it was.  I still think it's not the best, but ...

And, as I said in my first post on this very interesting discussion:  The current system is a lot better than the old one. People that the staff have never seriously contemplated about joining the team can now send in their applications. You could be a superstar and only play the game for 6 months and become an immortal to help run the game and change it into an awesome and new direction. You could be an old player who's tired of playing all the simple roles, and who wants to try something new, instead of quitting the game altogether.

Is it just me or does anyone else find it somewhat unnerving that people who play the game for six monthes can get on staff?  I don't know about everyone else but I would rather see people who have history with the game rather then those who are well-qualified get the position.

-RM
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

I don't believe any staff member has said someone can play the game six months and get on staff.  If you look at the qualities I listed, experience is one of them.  Someone would have to have a -lot- of other factors in their favor for something like that to happen.

I'd prefer well-qualified.   I can't see the staff putting a "newbie" on board who wasn't fantastically qualified.

Edit to add:   I've also experienced several times (from both perspectives) real life job interviews where the peers were the ones making the evaluation and making the hiring recommendation.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Quote from: "RunningMountain"Is it just me or does anyone else find it somewhat unnerving that people who play the game for six monthes can get on staff?  I don't know about everyone else but I would rather see people who have history with the game rather then those who are well-qualified get the position.

-RM

I believe Mansa was dramatically pointing out that the current methods of getting staff members gives EVERYONE a fair chance at getting an IMM spot.

And yeah what Sanvean said - no one on staff made any kind of claim about 6-month players becoming staff members (though she did say that it could be possible under exceptional circumstances, thus proving Mansa's point)

Ohh..okay. Well that clears that up.  Personally I think the game is a lot different now then it used to be. I guess it's for the better, I get a lot more interaction with animated npcs, while back 3-4 years ago if an imm ever animated an NPC it was a godsend and you kept talking so they wouldn't go away..heh, good times.  All the available roles thing is nice too, never used to have that.

-RM
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Wow, I'm actually piping up for once :)

I think Adhira hit on one of the most important points for a potential new staff member to consider.  As soon as you become staff on -any- game, it loses much of the mystery and thrill of the unknown.  You have to ask yourself. 'would I find the same amount of enjoyment out of this game if I knew all of the secrets, and how everything worked from a standpoint of basic mechanics?'.  I don't find this dilemma to be such a bad thing at all.  Some people enjoy being thrilled, others enjoy doing the thrilling.  That to me, is a foundational difference between players and immortals.

I have been playing this game since 1992.  Technically, I have learned a great deal in that time and many would assume there isn't much 'mystery' left to be entranced by...that simply isn't true.  The more you learn, the more you realize theres alot more that is going on that you might never be exposed to.  I, enjoy being thrilled - and am grateful toward those (both players and staff) who provide that entertainment.  Because of this, I have never seriously considered joining the staff.  I think the imms appreciate that in a backwards sort of way because the simple fact is myself, and other thrill-seekers, just don't fit into that role.  (Well, also probably appreciate it because Halaster just loves killing me, Sanvean doesn't take well to snuggles and jawline licks, and Nessalin scared the hell out of me about 10 years ago when I met him - swear to god he was about 7 foot tall and long hair, a biker-dude on crack - thought he was going to pull a sword out from behind his coat and slaughter me.  Oh, and everyone hates me! *insert some commonly used victim rant here*).

The best way, in my opinion, for players to aide in staff-like duties without taking on staff responsibiities is to assist in entries in the current projects page.  If an imm enters that they need 10 mercenary pc's described, then write up a few.  Need plants for a new area?  Let your imagination soar in varied foliage varieties.  I have done this many times, and it gives a sense of pride when you see something you know you did entered into the game.

Anyways, I ramble...maybe thats why I don't post often.  I've forgotten what this thread was even about :)

*licks everyones jawline delicately*

The stocking cap brigade salutes you Prae, you damnable victim you.
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

I don't see why all of the fuss.. If you want to be a part of this amazing roleplaying team, submit an application when they are accepted. If you don't wish to join this amazing team of people, don't submit an application. Its as easy as that guys, there's no reason to go on ranting about why such and such method is good or bad, the staff that armageddon has now, is the best staff I've seen since I began mudding, and since then, Immed, imped, and coded on other -roleplaying- ROM codebase muds, and my experience at Armageddon has been nothing but a success. So, to all you players, I say apply if you want a shot, don't if you don't. To the staff I say, excellent job, keep up the hard work, and continue to make good choices, this will be the best mud in exhistance, give or take a few years.
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

Quote from: "Bestatte"I don't think it's -anything- like applying for a job in real life. In real life, the supervisor doesn't ask his employees whether or not they can work with the applicant. The supervisor TELLS his employees whether or not they WILL work with the applicant, depending on the supervisor's decision. If an employee has a problem with that, then the employee knows where the unemployment office is. If the applicant has a problem with any of the employees after being hired, the applicant also knows where the unemployment office is.

People don't have to like each other, in real life, in order to work together. They're not being paid to like each other, or even "get along." They're getting paid to do a job. Regardless of personality issues - if that applicant can do the job better than other applicants, then he's the one who gets hired. Well except in cases of nepotism, but even then, daddy's little girl can only use being the boss's daughter only so much before her ass gets tossed on the line as well.

Of course staff doesn't get paid at all. Our compensation is satisfaction and enjoyment, and whether or not you want to or can work well with people becomes far more important.
idhogg

Ask me if I'm a tree

Quote from: "RunningMountain"Is it just me or does anyone else find it somewhat unnerving that people who play the game for six monthes can get on staff?  I don't know about everyone else but I would rather see people who have history with the game rather then those who are well-qualified get the position.

-RM

One of the things we look at is whether someone has a broad enough knowledge of the game to take on a staff position. But yes, if someone played for six months and they get it, why not? But don't be unnerved, we don't take on anyone not qualified.
idhogg

Ask me if I'm a tree

I've been on staff a little over a year. I did go through the interview process. It was relatively painless, but a bit intimidating. My advice is that if you really feel you have something to contribute that you apply.

What's it like?

There is a great deal to learn and like the game different people pick things up at a different pace. Some people like to jump right in, some like to slowly step in as they feel comfortable. The technical end is more intimidating that difficult, and if you have any coding or scripting background it may not be intimidating. There is a wealth of great documentation, and the other imms are more than happy to help. In fact Mekeda still has to hold my hand everytime I put in a doorway, and she is still, one year later, very kind to me about it.

Will it ruin the game for me?
It didn't ruin the game for me. Even with access to all the information, there is so much of it that you're not going to get it all at once. Yes, as staff you may be responsible for knowing things that as a player you wouldn't know and wouldn't want to know. But no, it doesn't ruin the game.

Finally, sometimes I like imming more than playing, sometimes I like playing more than imming. It's a wonderful experience. I've never regretted joining. That said like any other venture that involves responsibility and other people it invloves a lot of work and some frustrations. That's something you should be prepared for.
idhogg

Ask me if I'm a tree

Quote from: "Nidhogg"
Quote from: "Bestatte"I don't think it's -anything- like applying for a job in real life. In real life, the supervisor doesn't ask his employees whether or not they can work with the applicant. The supervisor TELLS his employees whether or not they WILL work with the applicant, depending on the supervisor's decision. If an employee has a problem with that, then the employee knows where the unemployment office is. If the applicant has a problem with any of the employees after being hired, the applicant also knows where the unemployment office is.

Of course staff doesn't get paid at all. Our compensation is satisfaction and enjoyment, and whether or not you want to or can work well with people becomes far more important.

Yes, that's another reason why being on staff is very dissimilar to real life work. But it does stress the importance of being able to work with other people. And if you really can't stand someone, it could make you unable to work with that person. So in regards to the "popularity" issue, I think there is merit and validity to the claim - somewhat. Definitely not emphasis on who likes who, but to claim that such a criteria doesn't exist isn't exactly true. I should stress also, that there is NOTHING WRONG with needing to enjoy the company of the person you are working with, especially when it comes to volunteer work.  Just like Nidhogg said: "Whether or not you want to or can work well with people" does play a role in the decision-making process.

I agree with you on all aspects Nidhogg, a few more things to consider is that when applying for a position where you deal with people more than you normally would, you need to ask yourself if you can handle it on all levels. Will you blow up in someone's face, can you solve problems, do you have trouble with dealing out punishments, things like that.

It also comes down to dealing with the people you work with, you need to be well-tempered and listen to their ideas and not try to push your own. That, to me, makes all the difference to being on a staff with someone.
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

Quote from: "Bestatte"I dunno, Nessalin. In the industries I've worked in, at least in the state of Connecticut, it is against the law for employers to show job applications to employees, unless the employees are part of Human Resources or other similar positions of authority regarding the hiring of other employees.

In both of the jobs I've held over the last 8 years myself and teammembers were heavily involved in the interview and approval process for any new teammembers.  We never saw their application.  We were there to grill them on technical expertise and determine how well they would work with the team.  I don't think bringing laws about sharing highly personal information into this discussion has any bearing on the discussion.

I will say that being involved in the process is more specific to the type of work you are applying for.  In the retail, food-services and blue-collar jobs I've held I've never had a say.  But when your job becomes more collaborative, both in creative and problem-solving endeavours then chemistry becomes a very important part of the equation.  We have, on several occasions, passed over more qualified applicants because they came across too boorish or stubborn or, in one case, unbelievably arrogant.

Bestatte, I've worked at three places in the last ten years whose app
process mirrors the one being detailed on Arm.  Don't be an ostrich; if
it isn't happening where you are, that doesn't mean it isn't happening
somewhere.  No need to stick your head in the ground and disbelieve
your surrounding environment. :wink:
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.