Started by Fnord, December 02, 2004, 02:38:10 PM

Which n00b landing page is better?

Existing version
4 (12.1%)
Fnord's version
29 (87.9%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: December 02, 2004, 02:38:10 PM

Here's the page  new players land at when they click over from Top Mud Sites. Can you find how to login into the game or how to access the main website? Took me a while and I'm a geek. Non-geeks are going to look around for 10 seconds and leave if they can't find a button to push to play.

In short, it's all well and good that we're in the top 10, but what does that accomplish if interested n00bs can't figure out how to play?

So, I redid the page and sent it to the Mud. Which do you think looks better?

Old version.

My version.

My version is the exact same info but it cleans up the page so you don't have to read in a diagonal, and puts the most important links (to play and website) right at the top.

Which is better?
Amor Fati

Yours seems much clearer and for some reason is easier to read.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Kudos, I really like yours
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

It should be changed -now-.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

That's a nice cleanup.  Good work.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

I like it. I'd go a step further and space out the paragraphs a little bit more.

Gimme a few and I'll post a link.

This looks great, and it's such an easy switch that it should be done post haste.

We had us a thread on this going in the Publicity forum, but that looks to be a bigger - and so further off - change.

I have no place to stick this save an angelfire site (ugh), sorry.

Here's my suggestion.

All I really did was clean up some excess html by replacing (and deleting) a bunch of unecessary tags, stuck <ul> tags in to replace the tedious <font><b> </b></font>for every single item listed in the two lower paragraphs - one letter could switch them both to a numbered list again if that was preferred. Then I spaced out some of the text and made some tiny rearrangements. I also added telnet links.

Angelfire fucks with the source code by sticking in all that crap in the beginning, but I could easily post up the html here if it's wanted. (I'm old fashioned, I write it all up in notepad).

I like mine more (go figure), but agree that the telnet links are a good idea.
Amor Fati

Fnord: You should take Delirium's advice and link the telnet address. It's easier for computer noobs to navigate.

QuoteFnord: You should take Delirium's advice and link the telnet address. It's easier for computer noobs to navigate.

Done.
Amor Fati

It's rare to see so many agree. At the time of this post, 89% are for the change. If so many Armageddon players can all agree on the same thing, it must be good.

I really liked the new page that is developed by Fnord & Delirium.

My suggestion - to Fnord's latest version - is that the numbers should be replaced by bold dots like Delirium used.
"A few warriors dare to challange me, if so one fewer."
---------------------------
"Train yourself to let go everything you fear to lose." Master Yoda
---------------------------
"A warrior does not let a friend face danger alone." Lt. Worf

The new pages are ok, having those links at the top are nice.  I prefer the jagged seperation lines to the straight ones though -- more harsher.  

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Thanks everyone for voting. Thanks Delirium for lending a hand. At this point I leave it to the imms to decide what to do. I don't care if it uses bullets, or numbered lists, or numbers, just make it easy for the n00bs to access the mud, please. So I can kill them and steal their boots. :twisted:
Amor Fati

I agree that the points should all be bullet points. Numbering them looks -very- messy, mind you.

If any of you know how to photoshop images or make flash animations, that'd be nice addition.

I love the progress, prefer Delirium's over Fnords.

I'd email the mud account...or the appropriate admin than waiting for one to stumble across this thread.

Don't like how lists indent everything, so I swapped out the numbers for bullet entities. Okay, that's really my last revision. ;)
Amor Fati

I find the indents the most important difference, and the reason of my preference.

Go suck an egg! :mrgreen:

Poll or not, this would probably be more successful in the Publicity forum.

-- X

QuotePoll or not, this would probably be more successful in the Publicity forum.

Um. I don't see that. :?
Amor Fati

It's not open to everyone due to various nefarious reasons. E-mail the mud, give your GDB name, and ask for access.
Goes for anyone interested in spreading the good word.

I would go as far as saying that you should add a link to the helpfiles and general information. I didn't see them.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"I would go as far as saying that you should add a link to the helpfiles and general information. I didn't see them.

Those are available from the main page, so I believe the link to the main page is sufficient.  There is such a thing as Too Much information for one page.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins