Lag Death

Started by Calion, November 30, 2004, 09:32:57 PM

Just to vent my frustration:

Dying because of lag on other muds is irritating. Dying because of lag on Armageddon is downright maddening!

Arg!

--
Calion
-
Calion

I don't have a sig yet. Someone say something cool!

emote Pours out some of his 40-ozer for the dead character.
'm helpful to noobs, ask me questions, totally noob friendly.

"Mail mud@ginka.armageddon.org if you think you've crashed the game."

--Nessalin

I feel for you, buddy.  Been there, done that.  I still cry when I think of it.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I remember when it use to be because of lag due to the game :(

My favorite character in almost 3 years of playing died due to lag, I know how you feel. *hugs* Poor poor guy.  :cry:

Quote from: "mansa"I feel for you, buddy.  Been there, done that.  I still cry when I think of it.

I just cry. Not because I died, but just because. I need meds.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

where the body at?
;-)
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

One thing to be aware of on Arm is that some (alot) of the lag is intentional.  When you initiate combat, for example, a significant command-delay is imposed upon you, which may -seem- like lag.

The mud has been running for a little over 40 hours, and the load average on ginka is less then 0.5 (which basically means the machine isn't breaking a sweat -- not even close), so unless you experienced a network event of some sort, you were probably a victim of delay, and not lag.

-- X

Quote from: "Xygax"One thing to be aware of on Arm is that some (alot) of the lag is intentional.  When you initiate combat, for example, a significant command-delay is imposed upon you, which may -seem- like lag.

So the MUD killed me on purpose? I typed in "Kick" and then absolutely nothing happened for like 30 seconds, after which everything loaded and I saw the login screen, because I had died.

What's the deal?

C
-
Calion

I don't have a sig yet. Someone say something cool!

Exactly what Xygax just explained. There's a delay IG with almost everything, walking, sneaking, kicking, pinching, biting.. etc.. etc..
he love that you have found is the love that you can never find, because it's the love that is never able to be found.

Well, if you typed in a command and then saw -nothing- for thirty seconds, that sounds like a network event.  If you were experiencing delay (instead of lag), you'd still see the scroll of damage messages from whoever was kicking your ass, before you died.

That sounds like a network hiccup. Command lag doesn't prevent you from seeing what's going on - if everything scrolled after, that means that you were having trouble recieving on your end.

Though, the command 'kick' does have a delay afterward which may prevent you from fleeing from a fight as quickly as you'd like. So wannabe ninjas beware.

Edit: Beaten to the punch, and so much more succinctly. Rats.

Quote from: "Delirium"Edit: Beaten to the punch, and so much more succinctly. Rats.

But you mentioned ninjas, so you get a thumbs up. *thumbs up*
B