Getting more players

Started by keii, November 28, 2004, 10:42:08 AM

I may only be a total newbie to Arma, but I already think it's the best thing....well, it's just the best. Anyway, coming from a MUD where RP was 'encouraged' (*coughAchaeacough*) I found Arma to be far more enjoyable than anything else I've tried.
However, one thing I noticed was that the amount of players online at a time seems to be rather small (Or maybe it was just because of the time zone differences?) somewhere in the region of 20 last time I checked. Maybe this is normal, I don't know, but I think if Armageddon had as many *dedicated* players as some of the other big MUDs do, it could be even better. I think the way to accomplish this is by letting more people know it exists. I had no idea Armageddon was just sitting there waiting to be discovered until it moved into 5th place on topmudsites.com. So, all you people in charge of that kind of thing, advertise!
h my God, it's coming back! Again!

Vote! Vote now, damnit!
http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=sanvean

It does have to do with your time zone, as Armageddon tries really hard, but is still a north american game.  Perhaps you might be interested in joining the 'advertising' group of the mud, and print off some flyers at some local game and comic shops around your town.

How do join that group?  Email mud@ginka.armageddon.org and ask them to join.   It's just that simple!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Also Armageddon is a lot smaller then Achaea (I believe in it's off-peak time Achaea gets about 50). And you don't need to be part of the publicity group to advertise. Anyone can think advertise :)

First, welcome buddy, hope you enjoy the game too :)

And second, I believe it is your luck.  But at peak times, the player numbers range from 50-80 and nearly to 130ish in the HRPTs and such.

Off peak times is, well, it differs between 15-30 usually.  At times drops dramatically.  If you are seeing little players, dont get discouraged though, you know, I am an off-peaker too and I have been enjoing this game for more than a year already.

And do bring a few more players, if you can.  The game has many things to offer for anyone that is up to roleplay.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Armageddon has quite a few dedicated players.  Most of them play between the hours of 4pm-midnight EST.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

As funny as it sounds, I'm someone on the complete opposite side of the spectrum. The MUDs I played before I found Armageddon averaged probably 25-30 people online at peak times. Seeing 10-20 online was quite common as well... in off-peak times we'd usually be in single digits. So Armageddon tends to feel huge to me  :shock:

My only problem is sometimes not being able to find anyone to RP with, but I figure that's because my character is still relatively new and friendless, and doesn't really have anywhere to hang out except the taverns. Even so, I'm having a great time.
subdue thread
release thread pit

That's pretty much the same situation I'm in, but I'm also having a lot of fun (Oh, and I saw 68 people online this morning!)
Anyone, one idea I had for attracting people to the game woud be to advertise on topmudsites.com You often see banners for games there, but....well, without sounding overly critical, they generally suck ^^;; If Armageddon had a well designes banner it could attract a lot of attention.

Vote! Vote now, damnit!

Man Peak times hit near 100 last night..Keep them coming!
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

I believe we already have a banner on topmudsites.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

I'm usually non-peak, and I still see upwards of 50 players quite frequently.  Good stuff.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Here's the page  new players land at when they click over from Top Mud Sites. Can you find how to login into the game or how to access the main website? Took me a while and I'm a geek. Non-geeks are going to look around for 10 seconds and leave if they can't find a button to push to play.

So, I redid the page and sent it to the Mud. Which do you think looks better?

Old version.

My version.

My version is the exact same info but it cleans up the page so you don't have to read in a diagonal, and puts the most important links (to play and website) right at the top. If you think it's an improvement, chime in to encourage the imms to use it!

Thoughts?
Amor Fati

Yours, hands down.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

I have to say that I kinda enjoy the size of the player base right now.
I would hate to run into another pc every few leagues in the desert.
I like that fact that not only does standing the tablelands SEEM a long way from others, it actually IS.

Then again, I guess if we had another hundred players, the IMMs would be adding crap loads of more rooms, so probably my point is moo....yeah, moo - you know like a cow's opinion...doesn't matter much....;-)
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Sorry, I just realized that asking for a vote could derail this thread... so I started a new one over here.
Amor Fati

The new page is a lot better, by far. I als faced that same problem when I first got onto the Armageddon site. In most MUDs there's either a button on the main page that brings up a Java client (The Arm one didn't work on my computer, though.) or info on how to telnet to the game, but on the old version you sort of had to search for it for a while. A complete newbie probably wouldn't bother, especially if they didn't know how to telnet.

Quote from: "moab"Then again, I guess if we had another hundred players, the IMMs would be adding crap loads of more rooms, so probably my point is moo....yeah, moo - you know like a cow's opinion...doesn't matter much....

I see you're a Friends fan :D

Vote! Vote now, damnit!