The Unknown World

Started by Tamarin, November 22, 2004, 10:37:28 AM

I think I may have brought this up before, but I can't remember.

What do you all hold in your minds as the conceptual world beyond the known world?  And if the staff bother to answer this, I'm not looking for specifics (I suppose that would be IC info): do the staff even have a concept of the world beyond the known world that they are perhaps saving for expansion once our player base hits say...a thousand people.

:?:
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

More of the same.

Expanses of wastelands.  Some may be a little greener - some even more harsh.

The known world is bounded by mountain ranges and the silt sea.  Who knows, maybe you can already climb the mountains and explore a little beyond them....

there was an old post awhile back about how some one would take their character, scale this mountain far to the north and piss in their trousers when they see streets and cars and trucks driving around.

wtf? There's no city over the mountains, silly fool. The only thing there is the ocean.

You're all wrong. That's actually where the sekrit vestric space station is.

If you travel too far in any direction you come across Scary Things(tm). They are there to eat you before you find the source of all rainbows and a giant iron pot filled with water. I almost saw it once, but then a rabid leprechaun with a ravenous appetite and teeth as long as a dwarf came and devoured my flesh. Watch out. :shock:

I bet they have hemote across the forbidden mountains.  Probably less skin-tone nazis and twink-skilling nobles as well.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Quote from: "Seeker"I bet they have hemote across the forbidden mountains.  Probably less skin-tone nazis and twink-skilling nobles as well.

Seeker

ROFL
 was, am, and always will be. That which dwells under the cast shadows; my Heart of Darkness.

I think everywhere beyond the mountains are large mounds and mines of metal where little gnomes mine it 24/7 and south of the ocean is where the 'dragon' is waiting.

No one EVER stays serious about this subject. The truth is ... there is likely a completely different enviroment from the one we are used to.  The likely-hood of an entire planet being solely desert and desertish-like is unlikely.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Hey, folks don't go to unknows without enough strength and skills. It really sucks. I recently get into trouble and saved my ass in several IG days. My heart is still drumming.

What should newbies think?

-I shouldn't go too far away.

Lol. But, it is great experience. I recommend it when you are strong enough and ready to die 8)  :P  :twisted:
Quote from: Sir DiealotHow 'bout, instead of stopping app special apps, because some people are morons, you just stop those accounts from Special Apping? It would stop the mongoloids from constantly bugging you...

Quote from: "Tamarin"
What do you all hold in your minds as the conceptual world beyond the known world?

Forgotten Realms, or Middle Earth.  ;)  Maybe the Known World is the land to the west (or was it the east?) that the elves evacuated to?  If so, they were probably really disappointed.

Seriously, I like to think that before the comming of the Dragon Zalanthas was a more typical fantasy world (albiet with different magic systems since they had Elementalists and Preservers, not typical fantasy mages).  There may still be a few pockets of tolkenesque landscape out there, somewhere.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I think if you walk too far, you'll wind up in Cleveland.  *shudder*
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

...or worse, Detroit.

Before this derails too far, though, I like to think of everything outside the Known World as where the Dragon waits to eat anyone dumb enough to go into territory completely under its control.
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

Quote from: "Xamminy"...or worse, Detroit.

Before this derails too far, though, I like to think of everything outside the Known World as where the Dragon waits to eat anyone dumb enough to go into territory completely under its control.

Maybe I could offer the opinion of a player thats not quite a newbie...but neither an oldbie.

"The Dragon...he really exists?"
Ahh...as a player not like I doubt anything...but with the millenia of rule under tek...
...it's easy to forget.

Although this is just a voice...the breath spent. I won't try to argue it any further.
Veteran Newbie

More of the same, rocks and sands, only worse. It's ridiculously unlikely that things are any better beyond the known world's borders, because that would mean that the 'namegiver' races are squatting on and fighting over the most worthless dirt ever. Still, perhaps there are more known worlds, more tiny patches of inhabitable land scattered across the face of the planet, far beyond the range or survivability of any expedition. A host of foreign travelers ready to show up with their boomsticks and stuffy clothing, bringing new diseases and new ideas designed to shatter old mythology and bring about the fall of magick.

That'd be neat. But you can still bet humanoidity is going to settle where the fruit is juicy, so we're probably already there.
Dig?

Or maybe there's something really, really, REALLY nasty out there that happens to like juicy fruit. That'd be my guess.

Thus humanoidity, including Tek & co., settled for second best.

Landscape probably plays a big part in it. Long journeys are probably more risk and trouble than the possible worth of the destination.

Quote from: "House Rising Sun"More of the same, rocks and sands, only worse. It's ridiculously unlikely that things are any better beyond the known world's borders, because that would mean that the 'namegiver' races are squatting on and fighting over the most worthless dirt ever. Still, perhaps there are more known worlds, more tiny patches of inhabitable land scattered across the face of the planet, far beyond the range or survivability of any expedition. A host of foreign travelers ready to show up with their boomsticks and stuffy clothing, bringing new diseases and new ideas designed to shatter old mythology and bring about the fall of magick.

That'd be neat. But you can still bet humanoidity is going to settle where the fruit is juicy, so we're probably already there.

Whatd be cool is to play a character from there. ;)
Doesn't mean it'd have to be 'true'.
Veteran Newbie

One can only hope that one day, the whole world is open to exploration. I do think that once the Sea (if it ever happens) is open for use, there will be some new things to see. The way the world is currently set up is an ingenious thing, in truth, because with a simple geological or magickal shift in the landscape, or with some fortuitous exploration, a new area can be introduced with relative ease of explanation IC.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Hey, Dracul, in the timeline it states that Muk and the Dragon had a face-to-face once and then the Dragon left.  I'm just going by the docs, man.  Granted, this could all be lies and propoganda.
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"No one EVER stays serious about this subject. The truth is ... there is likely a completely different enviroment from the one we are used to.  The likely-hood of an entire planet being solely desert and desertish-like is unlikely.

I completely agree. The rest of the unknown world is probably much like Earth's land/water characteristics, but the earth to ocean ratio would  probably be different to some degree.

Quote from: "Dracul"Whatd be cool is to play a character from there. ;)
Doesn't mean it'd have to be 'true'.

I did a character from North of Tuluk... I still do somewhat, North of the Grey forest is more Grey forest and then some grassland and plains.

South of The Sea is endless sea....farther than anyone would immagine.

West of the known world is badlands, sure some people might live there, but it's fairly useless.

East of the Known world is worse than the west...no life at all and just sand.
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

Wander too far, and you will begin to experience deja vu.  You will pass the same wastes several times.  And that corpse?  Yeah, same one.  And then you fill yourself staring out into a void, where the land and sky stops.  And then, just as you go "What the hell.." a Matrix android will reboot you.

And this, my friends, is the TRUE phenomenon of why so many people seem to just...vaporize...into being in taverns and inns all around Zalanthas.
e odeo interfice te cochleare

I've often wondered if it was possible to pass the sea of silt, or the shield wall.

I've got a plan to figure out though.  As I've mentioned in a topic in the OOC chatter section, jocks from my school are into MUDing.  SO, I'll get them all in one big group, give them weapons and kank, then I'll send them in one direction.  I'll check in with them the next day and see if they've found anything.
i] Sarge's Lifting Advice:[/i] Don't lift with your legs. Your back's the strongest muscle in your body! And look man, your knees aren't even locked. How do you expect to stand up straight? Put your groin into it!

If you go west for awhile you'll come to some cliffs with a plataeu in the middle and on top of that will be the Statue of Liberty. :que twilight zone music:

Quote from: "Anonymous"If you go west for awhile you'll come to some cliffs with a plataeu in the middle and on top of that will be the Statue of Liberty. :que twilight zone music:

You fekking idiot...

...you have to go east.
Veteran Newbie

*falls to his knees*

"Noooooooo!"

Area 51 ...

Heh, I think its just that the imms are thinking up what to do -secretly- and not letting us in on it, you might hit a huge cliff you can't get over or a huge drop off, maybe an ocean, something out of the ordinary until they get those rooms made.. I dunno though, it says they're well over 10k rooms.. so you never know..
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

I wonder we are able to go to "Unknown World"? People who knows tablelands well will understand me. Is there anyway? I am not asking coordination or route. I am seeking "Yes" or "No". There was a discussion about wheter or not "Unknown World" is coded. Now, I am really curious about most west. Is it coded?
Quote from: Sir DiealotHow 'bout, instead of stopping app special apps, because some people are morons, you just stop those accounts from Special Apping? It would stop the mongoloids from constantly bugging you...

Try to get there and find out?

Quote from: "Cavus"I wonder we are able to go to "Unknown World"? People who knows tablelands well will understand me. Is there anyway? I am not asking coordination or route. I am seeking "Yes" or "No". There was a discussion about wheter or not "Unknown World" is coded. Now, I am really curious about most west. Is it coded?

Hehe.. The unknown world is different for each PC and each player.  For most of us, the world is totally unknown since we know of a couple areas as players. With your post players learned a part of unknown world called tablelands, is coded.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

Yes, there are coded areas that are not part of what is commonly refered to as the known world.  Eventually you always hit a barrier, because obviously no one has written up the billions of rooms needed for an entire world.  So simply going north, east, south or west won't get you to anywhere really different from the known world.  If you want to see something unusual, I believe you first have to battle your way through the Smurf village, which is thought to be located somewhere under the Allanak bazaar.

Good luck!

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I hear that to the far north is Midgaard, and you can gain levels there.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

I liked the underwater theme park beneath the silt on the sea.

I heard that beond the silt sea there is a land full of hot F-me's, something like Ninety of them, and they are all Virgins.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Quote from: "Delirium"Try to get there and find out?

Most west of "known world", yes.

I'm surprised nobody has tried this.. Load up an argosy with tons of food and water, grab about ten people and take off, see what you find..
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

Quote from: "cyberpatrol_735"I'm surprised nobody has tried this.. Load up an argosy with tons of food and water, grab about ten people and take off, see what you find..

1) It probably has been tried.

2) People who own argosies have no need for the riches beyond the edges of the Known world.

QuoteI'm surprised nobody has tried this.. Load up an argosy with tons of food and water, grab about ten people and take off, see what you find..

Argosy + Mountain.... not a viable equation.

Argosy + silt sea... also... not too great.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

I start to believe that, it is not coded, and unknown world is only our dream/fantasy world. Can we get an Imm response at this post? Are we dreaming, or is it really possible to find out a way to west of tablelands, north of grasslands, east of salt flats and red desert, south of salt flats and silt sea?

Cavus, I think what people are trying to say, is that IF such things are coded, then they're probably somehow hidden, or intentionally unknown. And as such, it wouldn't be appropriate to give any answers here on the GDB, since that would be divulging IC info.

I can tell you, however, that I have been to some pretty unusual places that I didn't know about previously. Whether they are within the "Known World" or the "Unknown World" I honestly have no idea, and I wouldn't tell you even if I knew :)

The best way to find out, is to explore in the game. If it turns out you end up at a dead end, at least you've had fun on the way.

Quote from: "Delirium"I liked the underwater theme park beneath the silt on the sea.

Yes, that park is one of the best places in Zalanthas that you can visit for free :). If you get bored then I suggest you try it. It solves all of your problems at once.
"A few warriors dare to challange me, if so one fewer."
---------------------------
"Train yourself to let go everything you fear to lose." Master Yoda
---------------------------
"A warrior does not let a friend face danger alone." Lt. Worf

Yes, I can say that I know at least some part outside the known world is coded.
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

Quote from: "Malifaxis"
QuoteI'm surprised nobody has tried this.. Load up an argosy with tons of food and water, grab about ten people and take off, see what you find..

Argosy + Mountain.... not a viable equation.

Argosy + silt sea... also... not too great.

You forgot one.

Argosy + Endless Drop.... Kinda messy.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I'd love to witness an Argosy pulled by a team of Meks being attacked by a few hungery Gajaks!  Great Utep but that would be chaos!
-Yellowcactus

Oh...as for the Unknown world, that's a bit subjective.  Ask a Desert elf about the 'known world' and you'll get a very different answer than that of a "rinth' dweller or some Fale lord.  In some respects, places like Red Storm and Luirs are colonial powers to me.  They're independent, but without a steady flow of fresh blood from the cities, those institutions might find theyre' citizens mortality rate is too high to sustain themselves.

I tried exploring once. Got et by big hungry things, and I didn't see anything interestin' beyond some rock formations. Probably I didn't go far enough. Maybe one of these days I will reclaim the unknown lands, and I will play checkers with Muk Utep while the mantis maidens dance by the light of the bone-fire.

A fella can dream, can't he?

Reminds me of this cool, well-played half-elf I met in the gaj once. He said something to this effect; "There's a road that goes east from the gates, right? There's gotta be something out there, probably across the salt flats...". Poor halfbreed bugger's bones're prolly in a heap of dried mekillot dung out on the flats as we speak.

Of course, there will always be no shortage of explorers. Krath bless those adventurers, for if they didn't go out and keep the nasties fed, the critters might come into the cities.
he stories are woven
and fortunes are told
The truth is measured by the weight of your gold
The magic lies scattered
on rugs on the ground
Faith is conjured in the night market's sound

That's a quite optimistic view, Uglyhead.