Bash - New Feature

Started by cyberpatrol_735, November 03, 2004, 11:02:45 PM

I was thinking, and well, I'm a cop, we do a lot of door bashing, could it be possible to code it where you can "bash door <direction>" And have a chance of it bursting open? The downside is if you fail you could seriously injure yourself or knock yourself out, half-giants would get a huge bonus, humans normal and so on, thoughts?
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

I love this idea :) But:
* Would it be possible to destroy the door in this way?
* If the above is true how can a door be fixed without imm intervention?

This subject has been brought up before...  people want a coded action to open up locked doors.  It has been shot down a few times by a multiple of reasons.  Right now, however, the general idea is for you to role-play that you're breaking down the door, and then wishing up and asking the immortals to help you out with the scene.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Well, thinking, maybe the door would fly open, thereby "breaking" the lock (unlocking it) So that when you leave and shut the door behind you, it is left unlocked and is up to the owner to lock it back up. I see this coming in handy for soldiers/templars. There would have to be a reasonable failure chance though, so that people dont just bash doors instead of have them picked, etc...
For FantasyWriter:

I'm going to support this idea, to the extent that I support any code suggestion that will enhance the freedom with which players can explore the game system.

I think that door bashing should include a relatively high chance of getting crim flagged, so that only burglars can get through locked doors safely.
'm helpful to noobs, ask me questions, totally noob friendly.

"Mail mud@ginka.armageddon.org if you think you've crashed the game."

--Nessalin

I agree with getting crimflagged, possibly no matter what, that would limit its use to normal warriors to be thieves, and would allow templars/soldiers to search apartments/buildings.

<prompt> order giant bash door north
You give an order to a half-giant soldier.
A half-giant soldier slams into the door, knocking it open.

<prompt>

If failed, something like this

<prompt> order giant bash door north
You give an order to a half-giant soldier.
A half-giant soldier slams into the door but it doesn't give way.
A half-giant soldier backs away from the door, looking dizzy.

<prompt>

Something like that, I just used the order command for fun, heh.. thoughts from the imms?
For FantasyWriter:

I think it could be complicated, not bad, but complicated.  I don't think you could break down the door and then have the owner just re-lock it, at least not every time.   Think of the materials that these doors and hardware are made of: stone, bone, wood and leather.  If you bash in the door you probably break the hinges, the doorframe, the lock or the door itself, you can't fix that dammage with a key so the door should stay broken.  The door might not be closable, much less lockable, after being broken down.  Even the militia/legions would avoid casually breaking down doors, because the landlords will get grumpy about the costs of repairs if it happens too often.

Here's even more discussion of this topic:

http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8961
http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5824

Anglea Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

As suggested before:

I'm all for it, so long as the crim-flag is set to go off if your outside anywhere in plain view, and there is an immediate militia response.

Burgulars should be the ones hired if your trying to break in without getting caught.

Do what mansa said.  I don't want to see Half-Giants running willy-nilly, twinking out and stealing everyone's furniture, myself.
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

I would like to have a h-giant burglar/guard...

The potbellied, spotted half-giant says in Sirihish, letting out a chuckle:
  "I put the bone into the lock and turn it.. If it doesn't open, I kick the door."
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

...But then I need one of those little peoples to go inside for me.

The problem with wishing up though, as I see it, is that there never seems to be imms around to help me out when I want them.  They're usually there when it's inconvenient for me, however. (Not a complaint, It actually makes things more interesting)  I know that the imms have lives and stuff, but whenever I have a question or something, I can never get ahold of an imm.  

But, then again, I seem to be a big supporter of all things coded that could possibly invite twinking.
i] Sarge's Lifting Advice:[/i] Don't lift with your legs. Your back's the strongest muscle in your body! And look man, your knees aren't even locked. How do you expect to stand up straight? Put your groin into it!

Isn't there a reason that half-giants are karma required? We shouldn't have to worry about them twinking out if the person is responsible enough to earn the karma, no? If they do the karma should be taken.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

I can't believe you get half-giant burglars. I can't get the image of one getting stuck whilst trying to climb through a window out of my head.

Now, excuse me while I stare at this giant mantis for a moment.

I had a half-giant burglar before.  He could steal like you wouldn't believe.

My poor half-giant burglar.  He was all sevens, and that ain't applesauce.
Back from a long retirement

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"I had a half-giant burglar before.  He could steal like you wouldn't believe.

I'm now thinking of a large, hulking silhouette with a twelve foot high pile of furniture stomping off into the night, sniggering.