mining tools

Started by killa, November 03, 2004, 10:26:16 PM

whats the best or right tool to mine the obsidian with in the desert???

Um...  Look for it at the mining shop in Allanak.

I suggest looking near Miner's Road.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Never mind. Mansa answered the question!

Edited to say: Dangit, Mansa edited his answer! Mansa knows best though, so I won't tell ya either :)

In the future though - just something you can keep in mind:

The "view" command in shops usually gives you a line at the end of the item's description saying if it might be useful for a specific task.

Like, a shovel might be useful for digging. Or a chisel might be good for chipping stones.

It's always a good idea to check that kind of thing out when you have the need and opportunity to get new stuff.

Erm, possibly a pickaxe? Just a wild guess...

Find out IC is really the best answer (you can do that by talking with the shop keeper and wishing up, asking other players, experimenting yourself). But as someone who hasn't mined much (I think only once or twice) I tend to use the rule "the more expensive an item the better it does it's job." It's quite possible I'm wrong, but with lack of better information I use that rule of thumb :)

Quote from: "Rhyden"Erm, possibly a pickaxe? Just a wild guess...

Just as a note.. many tools that seem like the 'ought' to do someting may not.. they don't 'assess' as having any bonus in the area

One tool that seems like it would be good for mining.. can in fact be used for skinning.. ::boggle::

Others while they don't indicate that they have any effect appear to do so..  

This could be deliberate though.
As the great German philosopher Fred Neechy once said:
   That which does not kill us is gonna wish it had because we're about to FedEx its sorry ass back to ***** Central where it came from. Or something like that."

Quote from: "HardCarbon"This could be deliberate though.
Very doubtful. I imagine it's a code-limitation/item-oversight (i.e. when pick-axe was created mining wasn't around). I'd suggest asking the staff "can items be used for more then one thing? E.g. pick-axe is used for skinning, can it be used for mining as well or is this a code limitation?" and if it can be used for both, start bugging items in game :)

Quote from: "killa"whats the best or right tool to mine the obsidian with in the desert???

Quote from: "mansa"Um... Look for it at the mining shop in Allanak.

Grr... :x
Thats IC information if you two did not know.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: "Yokunama"
Quote from: "killa"whats the best or right tool to mine the obsidian with in the desert???

Quote from: "mansa"Um... Look for it at the mining shop in Allanak.

Grr... :x
Thats IC information if you two did not know.

That there is a mining shop on Miner's Road is probably safe.  As for the original question, yeah, it might be a wee bit over the line, but the information isn't exactly secret and is helpful to newbies.  (Which is why I left this thread alone originally).

Quote from: "Xygax"That there is a mining shop on Miner's Road is probably safe.
Although funnily enough this wasn't always the coded case.