New command idea: Change Nickname

Started by williamson, October 28, 2004, 08:14:53 PM

I think it will be cool if players had a command that would allow them to set a  changeable keyword/nickname. I envision it as a command similar to change objective.  Obviously, there would be some posibility of abuse. However, I cannot thick of anything too terrible off the top of my head.

Example: change nickname Ivan

Feedback?

-Williamson
"Let sleeping characters sleep naked." -Azroen

There was already a thread about this...go find it, Lazloth.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Actually, it's called:

wish all Would you please add Ivan to my keywords? Reason reason reason reason. Thanks!

change objective Please add Ivan to my keywords. It's a new nickname.

I don't think nicknames should be so easily changed that it takes a mere "change nickname" command. Nicknames grow over time IRL, and in the game. Having to have staff help to add a nickname, or even email a request to the mud reflects that.

ANd you know, it isn't so much adding the nick that creates potential for unrealistic situations as much as changing it.

Say you pick up a nickname in 'nak. Things go bad . . . you can't just -switch- out of that nickname. It's how people know you, like it or not.

But if you move to say . . . Tuluk, and start introducing yourself as Jeffy, well, people won't know you used to be Ivan, so then you could ask for the keyword taken away.

>change nickname Fancypants
The buxom young aide gives you a steel-tipped coathanger.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I like it, as I like any idea that will allow you the player more freedom and doesn't seem like too much of a drain on programming resources.
'm helpful to noobs, ask me questions, totally noob friendly.

"Mail mud@ginka.armageddon.org if you think you've crashed the game."

--Nessalin

Quote from: "Larrath">change nickname Fancypants

>wish all Some ass hole just used the change nick name to steal something someone was handing to me.

The dark hooded figure dies.

This is a good idea.

Two problems I see.
1.)
Player A's nickname is Ivan.  He introduces himself to Player B as Ivan.  Little while later something happens and Player A decides he needs to call himself Boris.  If player B tries to contact ivan later on, he will run into problems.

I honestly think that is GOOD.  This will force people to actually read those descriptions and remember more than a name.  Names will no longer be an instant ooc recognition system.  

They CAN be since a Player A could introduce himself as Player A and that name will not change.

2.)
The templar tells the noble in sirihish:
    "Here is the ten thousand coins I owe you"

change nickname noble

The templar gives you 10000 coins.
w
w
w

...But that is pretty hardcore abuse and I'm sure totally dink crap like that would feel the wrath of Nesselin (tm) pretty quick.

This would allow players to give a false name at a moments notice.  Run in with an out of town Templar?  "Hi, I'm Amos!"  Some players don't think to add nickname keywords in chargen.  Others don't add enough.  Some players change alias's as fast as Rich Bitch(tm) changes outfits.  Ever try to impersonate someone?  Pretty hard to convince a character if the player can just type "assess player A" (also abuse, but lets be realistic and not idealistic with this one).

And yes, it is easy to just wish up.  They total keystrokes to add a keyword, force a player to save, and let them know has to be well under a hundred so it can't be that time consuming, but with change keyword freedom, I think names would become more of a RP tool and less of an OOC one.
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Marc brings up a good point, and that is that there would be no distinguishable way to prevent adding 'keywords' using nickname as opposed to just names.

I'd just like to say that Gilvar is my hero.  Gimme a G!  Gimma an I!!...eh, you get the point.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

How about this:  You can add a nickname at any time, but you can not remove it.  The nickname will naturally delete itself after 10 RL days.  So, you can call yourself bob and people will be able to know you as bob.  However, if one day you decide to skip town and don't return for 10 days, that name is not stuck on you.

I don't really worry about other abuses.  I mean, the stuff I could do with the emote command makes nick name abuse look down right friendly.  I could pretty easily make Lord Templar Hardass do a slow sexy dance for an elven whore.  If someone screws you using the nick name just report it the same way you would report someone emoting giving you money then running away.

The thing I like about it is that it would give people a lot more freedom to lie.  Right now, if I lie about my name, people are going to know OOCly unless I have a nick name put in at character creation.  Granted, we are all role players here, but I still don't like drawing a big blinking arrow over my head that says LIAR any more then I like to OOC my victims to tell them not to move while I RP out this really cool back stab scene.

<changes his keyword to Rindan and takes the $10>
<e, e, e, e hide>

:-p

Quote from: "Rindan"
Quote from: "Larrath">change nickname Fancypants

>wish all Some ass hole just used the change nick name to steal something someone was handing to me.

The dark hooded figure dies.

*repeat*
Veteran Newbie

Abuse is always going to be an issue, don't use it as an excuse for a good idea.   I like it.  There must be SOME way to make it so you can't change it to someone elses current PC name.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

The questions are first: do we want it to be super easy to change nicknames?
second: do we want to spend the time developing this feature?
thirdly: is there anything else we could be doing that is more important?

I'd say no to one and two, and yes to number three.

I'd personally much rather people just roleplay their keywords and forego coded benefits like being able to be targeted by it.

But Gilvar you have to remember that people know you're lying about your name if they can't look gilvar, at least some will do that.  I know I used to when I was new. I still think it's a good, simple idea that would help the shadier characters to lie about their names in that interrogation they got themselves into, instead of having to email the mud ask for the keyword to be added then ask for it to be removed because you are no longer going by that name?

-RM
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Quote from: "RunningMountain"But Gilvar you have to remember that people know you're lying about your name if they can't look gilvar, at least some will do that.  I know I used to when I was new. I still think it's a good, simple idea that would help the shadier characters to lie about their names in that interrogation they got themselves into, instead of having to email the mud ask for the keyword to be added then ask for it to be removed because you are no longer going by that name?

-RM

Dude, I totally understand where youre coming from...but realize that any responsible roleplayer won't take to heart that your name isnt a keyword.

If they do...they suck. And then it sucks. heh :X

My preffered method...wish up...after earlier. Get yourself a few names, personally I like the orginal name, a nickname, and two other names.

Preferably, no one ever learns those keywords. but theyre there for when you need them.
Veteran Newbie

Thanks for understanding Dracul, my current character has about 20 names that I put in at char creation, and I'm not joking.

-RM