Skill/Spell branch messages

Started by Bestatte, October 12, 2004, 07:44:27 PM

I don't think it would work too well in Armageddon. Here's why:

Magickers have different methods of practicing. It all depends on their background. Some will be practicing on purpose to branch and learn new things - and be thrilled when they do. Some will be practicing to make sure they stay in control and don't end up losing it and going crazier than they believe they already are - and hoping they NEVER learn a new skill.

Some will not practice - and instead, just use spells as needed, when needed, and won't be phased one way or another if another spell becomes available to them.

The timing also might be wrong - you're in the middle of trying to make a flying purple sand-wagon, and ALL OF A SUDDEN THIS MESSAGE APPEARS saying that you can now do something else! Way to totally ruin the moment.

People can see what's on their skills list by typing SKILLS. They can RP however they like the discovery of their new skills. Or they can ignore that particular new skill if it has no use to them. I know I've done that many times, and would be really bummed out if I was trying to stay alive during a fight with a raptor only to see a 1-3 line blurb show up during combat that had nothing to do with the fight.

It might distract me enough to need to scroll up and read what just scrolled off my screen. And then I'd be dead because I was too busy trying to find the line to flee in time. Or it might make me forget to RP in my excitement and feel the need to immediately attempt to nose-punch the raptor, now that I branched that uber skill.

I'd rather the way it is. Let people decide how they want to perceive their new skills, when they want to perceive them, if at all, by using the skills list already available to them.

-friendly rib-

Gilvar is a bit more succinct, but good points nonetheless, bestatte.

Quote from: "Agent_137"-friendly rib-

Gilvar is a bit more succinct, but good points nonetheless, bestatte.

There was a big difference between what Gilvar said and what Bestatte
said. Gilvar essentially said "No, your idea is bad and you better RP well"
while Bestatte's was "No, the way people learn magick is more open ended
and putting those messages in would detract from certain people's style of
RP."

QuoteGilvar essentially said "No, your idea is bad and you better RP well"

QuoteNope.

Its much funner if characters don't pretend they magickally know something after enough inputs of a command.

Its also alot funner to watch magickers who actually go out of their way to role-play the acquisition of their new spell, rather then just 'Oh, I think I can do this now.'

Other than the use of "funner," I don't find his post rude or even curt.

Perhaps I just have a thicker skin? Or maybe I'm used to the idea that on this board most people don't give a damn if you're offended by how they word things.

Either way, saluti.

Well I was saying that rather then...

You have maxxed KILLING BLOW!
You now learn KILLING BLOW ADVANCED!

That players take the time to notice they have branched, and possibly work within the confines of their character to figure out how/why they are now capable of doing what they are doing and playing appropriately.

Especially in situations where the branched skill does not logically fit with the skill it branched from.

Quote from: "Gilvar"

. . . in situations where the branched skill does not logically fit with the skill it branched from.

This quote scares me and makes me very sad. I wish there was a better way, but I haven't thought of one without more disadvantages . . . so I won't bitch anymore.

How something branches is as logical as possible.  Still, some find that logic hard to follow.
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

This one time my Byn ranger was riding around with her unit, and I realized I had both hands full but had not fallen behind the unit.  (I think I had something stupid like an empty mug in my off-hand.)  I was riding with both hands full!  The suprise was quite a thrill.  I don't know if just being told I could ride with both hands full would have been as thrilling.  

That isn't exactly the same as branching a new skill, but I think "discovering" a new skill has appeared on my skill list would be more thrilling than just being told.

The proposed system would also take all the mystery out of skill branches.  Several times I've noticed a new skill on my list and had no Idea what I did to get it.  Did it branch off another skill?  Did it branch off a certain amount of time despite the fact that I wasn't using my skills much at all?  Did some imm notice that my IC boss had been trying to teach me the skill, and quietly add it my skill list because of our L33t RP skillz?  I don't know.  I'll never know unless I play the same guild roughly the same way again.  Mystery is good.  (And also makes it harder for bitter ppl to post skill trees).

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

This is a good discussion:

Currently I like the way the branching system for skills and spells works.

Here is why:

1) It provides you, the player, with an ambiguous system that provides mystery as to -how- you exactly branched your new skill.
2) This mystery adds to the realism of life as well as the game.
3) This mystery adds to the overall "fun factor", IMO.

To incorporate messages telling the player when they branch, and what they branch, would be H&S-esque:
 was, am, and always will be. That which dwells under the cast shadows; my Heart of Darkness.

Honestly.. I One of the things I like least is that I have to clue how good or bad at a skill I am.  I like the 'branching' suprise..   though I don't know how it works these days (yet!)   if its by skill or what..

But say take a crafting skill.. I can craft  XXXXXX.   I know I can craft  X, Y, and Z..  from  alpha and gamma.   If someone asks me if I am any good... all I can tell them is.. well I can make this and this...

A  'compare' skill would be nice too..   example.. I have two tools that both effect skill XXXXX    I have not way to tell which is better... I also have what I think are tools that OUGHT to effect a  skill (and seem too) but I can't tell...  I have noticed that in the little time that I've been back (after many years)  that things get fixed pretty quick and that some of the little things that bugged me are gone gone gone....
As the great German philosopher Fred Neechy once said:
   That which does not kill us is gonna wish it had because we're about to FedEx its sorry ass back to ***** Central where it came from. Or something like that."