A new "Jump onto" command

Started by Kill4Free, October 12, 2004, 01:20:21 PM

I think it would be neat to have a jump onto command implemented, basically it would take into account your climb skill, and when you are at the top of a ledge, where you would have to climb down, you could jump onto someone, as a form of initiating combat.  It would be a bit like a combination of bash and sap, leaving both parties on the ground at the end, but a successful attempt will basically 'sap' the target.
In the help files, it says that raptors basically have a form of this, to jump down from on top of dunes, surprising their victims.
It would be a neat trick for raiders, as well as being something that has been done in the past, in real ambushes.  Also it would make the acrobat subguild slightly more valuable, same with assassins I believe.

The only real problems with is, is lots of ledges you cant just stand at the top, you have to go in the direction, that has 'open air', so there would also have to be a piece of the code added that lets you look down over a ledge, when you havent yet passed it, just basically walking up to it and looking down. (It would basically be looking diagonally downwards in that direction)

I think its a neat idea, and would be a fair bit of fun to use.
May God have mercy on my foes, because I wont.

No thanks.
 was, am, and always will be. That which dwells under the cast shadows; my Heart of Darkness.

I'll say okay, but you have to be able to use it for mudsex, too.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Nifty idea, but not that necessary, ergo it isn't likely to happen. Idea it in game, though!

In the meantime, just use emotes (that you write out before hand and copy to your clipboard) and bash or sap.

shout RRRRRRRRRARR!
down
emote Dives down from above with a loud cry, looking as if he will land right on ~dude
bash dude

OR

think Hah! That fecker can't even see me here.
emote slips to the edge, eyeing ~dude carefully
sneak on
down
emote pushes himself quietly off the ledge. Sailing through the air, he seems to be trying to land on ~dude
sap dude

Don't forget directional emotes. I like how much smoother they can make things.

d (leaping off the ledge with a loud cry)

em sails directly toward %dude shoulders as he falls through the air

bash dude

But yeah, I think this can just be emoted.

If you dont have sap, or bash, it wont work, not to mention that the fall would knock you off your feet, and hurt you a lot.

And obviously it isnt necessary, technically bash isnt even necessary, but it is there, and fun to use.

Not a bad idea, but i'd like to see about 47.23 million other things implemented first.

Name them all :P

When I first read this, my initial thought was, "man, that barbarian I had in Diablo II was kickass."
Anyways, I think a raider (or anyone else for that matter) would only use this 'tactic' once or twice in their life. First of all, it requires both the attacker and the victim to be in a very specific position. It would require the raider to have an uphill advantage over his victim, and what's more, th victim would have to be unaware of the raider's presence (honestly, if you saw some one above you on a cliff, you probably won't stand there, slack-jawed, directly beneath him).
Now, this position is a raider's ideal. Should he find himself in this extremely advantageous position, most would probably choose to pick up a bow and make his victim a pincushion, rather than leap off the ledge and risk breaking his legs (even a small jump creates an oppuritunity for a twisted ankle, espicially if the raider is wearing heavy armor).
I think, as others have said, that this sort of thing would be easier to roleplay out and EMOTE than it would be to code. And, even if it was added in, I seriously doubt any of my characters would ever use it.
Well, perhaps a mentally-handicapped half-giant with dreams of being a ninja master. But I'm pretty sure that's a special app.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Quote from: "Kill4Free"If you dont have sap, or bash, it wont work, not to mention that the fall would knock you off your feet, and hurt you a lot.

By your logic then, I would assume that you are a proponent for this skill to take off a certain amount of hp when you use it? (determined by your pc's skill in this area, of course)
 was, am, and always will be. That which dwells under the cast shadows; my Heart of Darkness.

Basically, if used successfuly, will negate your fall damage, and knock the enemy to the ground too.

And monkeys, there lots of skills that are rarely used, but it would be more fun if it was :)

Quote from: "Kill4Free"Basically, if used successfuly, will negate your fall damage, and knock the enemy to the ground too.

No matter how skilled one is in such a skill, damage would still be taken. There should be no negation of hp loss. Think of a fair balance and send it in to staff. Maybe they'll take a look at it.  :wink:

QuoteNo matter how skilled one is in such a skill, damage would still be taken. There should be no negation of hp loss. Think of a fair balance and send it in to staff. Maybe they'll take a look at it. Wink

Why not? Even if maxed there wont be a 100% chance of it working, and all it would do would be to basically bash the enemy, I think it is already balanced enough :P

Death from Above.  Has a chance to break your legs.  You lose 30% stamina.  Can push to do quadruple damage.

Damn people will be throwing rats down the sewers again.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "Delirium"Don't forget directional emotes. I like how much smoother they can make things.
d (leaping off the ledge with a loud cry)
em sails directly toward %dude shoulders as he falls through the air
[...]

I'm all with delirium here.  In fact, I think I prefer the emoted version to a coded "solution".
This game lives from the readiness with which everyone plays along. From my observation, the more that gets decided by the code, the less people are willing to play along, and will rather seek a coded escape/solution to the situation themeslves.

Think of it - as a command, this should probably initiate combat, making many scenes and solutions to the situation pretty much impossible.

Starting a scene like that - think of the adrenaline rush this will give to either side  :D

CRACKAGEDDON --- it's partly  adrenaline addiction!

Quo
code]
          .::7777::-.
         /:'////' `::>/|/
      .',  ||||   `/( e\
  -==~-'`-Xm````-mr' `-_\    Join the Save the Gurth campaign! [/code]