Another Backstab thread.

Started by Majikal, October 09, 2004, 04:04:18 PM

I was curious, I've always been a big fan of the assasin/sneaky type characters so I'm pretty used to how backstab works. Unfortunately I've never been on the other end so I don't know what is shows when 'you' get backstabbed. As far as I know it shows who is backstabbing you.. but when you actually kill someone with a backstab, does it let them know who stabbed them?

on a one hit kill with a backstab it says: You got him - he falls over dead, just curious if the victim actually gets to see what killed him or not. Not knowing who came out of hidden and backstabbed your char would (I feel) reduce the chance of ooc abuse. Just curious, anyone been knocked off by a backstab to know the answer to this?
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Um, find out IC?

Actually, as I recall, the victim's backstab message doesn't include who did it.  It's something like...

"You feel blood well up in the back of your throat."

Plus, if they are using zmud with default settings they mantis screen will overwrite the last 20 lines of text on their screen, so they won't know what happened at all unless they are logging their session.  Poor guys.

Rofl,  @warrior

Yeah, just ask the dude that you killed in one hit, what it said when you killed  him, brilliant :P

I can guarantee that no living character in the game, knows what backstab says if it kills him, hence, making it impossible to find out icly.
May God have mercy on my foes, because I wont.

Find out IC?  :lol: But 'speak with dead' spell is really hard to branch.
Nah.. Sorrily I won't be of help.. Last time someone tried backstab on me, he totally failed. Never been killed by a single clean stab. But if someone has, I don't believe it is IC.
He has no way to test this, right? He has no way learn it in game. He's just in need to learn an OOC issue, which will not affect other players' RP.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

I believe backstab -alone- does not let the other char know about the attacker.

One of the backstab echoes you get when backstabed is like:

You feel a sharp pain in your back as someone plants a forked dagger between your ribs- Ugh

And you see your attacker at the ensuing combat.

So I dont think the victim knows about the attacker

EDIT:  And dude, if you come to the point of "one-hit kill" kudos to you, and your patient work.  If you are at one hit kill, dont ever worry about the rest.  You are invincible
some of my posts are serious stuff

go read (i am sure you did)..
"half-giant assasssin"'s log
at player logs..
the giant is stabbed there (that's fun:)))
many may think that its a type of explosive but no, it is a stab in THE BACK!!

*leaning casually against a wooden fence, a piece of straw in his mouth, and his thumbs tucked casually inside the straps of his dirt stained bibs.*

"Yep, I've been on both sides o' them there backstabs. When YOU get axed by a the sneaky devil, it says something along the lines of: You feel a sharp pain in your chest and look down to notice a dagger protruding from it.  Then ye' see the big kank in the sky... or maybe that's just a text image.  Shit, I don't know.

In any case, I, speaking as an avid assassin player, can tell you that it's hard to even land a successful stab.  I think I could land about 1 in 5 with the most experienced assassin I'd had so far.  (I think he was about a month old)

The way I got in a lot of practice and still tried to stay IC is that I was a rinthi that hated east siders, and I went out and viciously attacked elves after a few beers every now and then.  It kinda seems OOC, but there's really no good way to get in practice.
i] Sarge's Lifting Advice:[/i] Don't lift with your legs. Your back's the strongest muscle in your body! And look man, your knees aren't even locked. How do you expect to stand up straight? Put your groin into it!

I've gotten this one a lot.
"Someone(It told me the sdesc, but he wasn't hidden) shoves his bone halfsword between your ribs."
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

When I got a one hit backstab kill, the person was tracking me and I ran into an area I thought safe.  I was exhausted and bleeding, so I plopped down.  I guess they probably snuck in, cause, like I said, all I saw was "You feel a sharp pain in your chest and notice a dagger sticking out of it" or something like that.
i] Sarge's Lifting Advice:[/i] Don't lift with your legs. Your back's the strongest muscle in your body! And look man, your knees aren't even locked. How do you expect to stand up straight? Put your groin into it!

Quote from: "Ghost"
You feel a sharp pain in your back as someone plants a forked dagger between your ribs- Ugh

And you see your attacker at the ensuing combat.

Yes. I know this for sure, I was recently killed this way. I have it logged.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Gah, I have never been hit by a backstab. ou should have kept that IC. I was all excited to
find out! :evil:
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Invincible because you can kill people with one hit backstab? You hav a lot to learn Ghost.

-RM
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Quote from: "RunningMountain"Invincible because you can kill people with one hit backstab? You hav a lot to learn Ghost.

-RM

Hey he is the best backstabber of this game. Believe me.  :wink:
Quote from: Sir DiealotHow 'bout, instead of stopping app special apps, because some people are morons, you just stop those accounts from Special Apping? It would stop the mongoloids from constantly bugging you...

Quote from: "RunningMountain"Invincible because you can kill people with one hit backstab? You hav a lot to learn Ghost.

-RM

Ghost is using a literary device known as exaggeration for the sake of emphasis.  It is quite common.  For example, "I was dying laughing."  Since I am not a 'toon in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, my demise from laughter is unlikely.  See how that works?
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

So what, Cavus?  Doesn't make him invincible or guarantee a kill.  There are things in this world you don't understand.  Noone is invincible.
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

Quote from: "Xamminy"So what, Cavus?  Doesn't make him invincible or guarantee a kill.  There are things in this world you don't understand.  Noone is invincible.

Sure, no one is invincible, but if you play a role (I mean race and subguild) so so good, you will probably be nearly invincible. For example, if you are ranger and make a close combat with a bahamet, or mek...or let's say half-giant, you cannot live long and you are not invicible, right?

For assassins, if you jump on to your target from shadows after considering target very well, and plotting the assassination well. Victim is certainly dead.

But, there is not any PC which has hundreds days of gameplay. In other words, there is always a one better than other.

I was trying to tell that Ghost is my man. He is so good at his role, and I am not sure I can play a role as good as he does.

Everyone dies sooner or later
Quote from: Sir DiealotHow 'bout, instead of stopping app special apps, because some people are morons, you just stop those accounts from Special Apping? It would stop the mongoloids from constantly bugging you...

I agree that he does a good job.  I simply am saying that sometimes, no matter how capable and no matter how well-planned his work will be, something can go wrong.  Lady Luck is a fickle mistress.
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

I don't think he was using sarcasm, JGG.  

-RM
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Quote from: "RunningMountain"I don't think he was using sarcasm, JGG.  

-RM

Quote from: "JollyGreenGiant"Ghost is using a literary device known as exaggeration for the sake of emphasis. It is quite common. For example, "I was dying laughing." Since I am not a 'toon in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, my demise from laughter is unlikely. See how that works?

I think you have sarcasm confused with something else.  I didn't mention the word or define anything in a way that implied that sarcasm was used.  My example had nothing to do with sarcasm.  He used exaggeration.  Here is a simple formula to illustrate my point.

Sarcasm != Exaggeration
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

*EDITED to death, because I thought it was pointless*

I agree no one is invincible.  Even that mullish soldier at Red Storm Gates.

now this is better.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Wow...

Quote from: "Cavus"Everyone dies sooner or later

Yes, but some PCs don't get -killed-.  The first death I ever saw, the guy was like 70-80 years old, and he keeled over from a heart attack.  Craziness.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

There you go.