negative health

Started by Cameron0202, October 04, 2004, 08:18:14 PM

Could you maybe take out when your negative health, and your friend says that if you type quit you die. So you wanna know if he is lying, so you type quit test too your amazment works just aswell as quit and kills you. I just lost a very good char to the code rapeing me twice. Once how I got to negative health and the last when I did quit test and died. I aint crying... well I am... but I would suggest perhaps making it just quit that kills you and not quit !!!-TEST-!!!.... I am done...

it's true

type 'help quit'

And a general tip:   Immortals check their email more than they read the GDB.  In fact, I know some immortals who don't bother with most sections of the GDB.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Cameron,

Sorry that you lost your character.  To be honest, lots of "cheezy' code related deaths tend to occur.  Please don't let this discourage you.

-sjanimal
'm helpful to noobs, ask me questions, totally noob friendly.

"Mail mud@ginka.armageddon.org if you think you've crashed the game."

--Nessalin

Whoa, 'quit test' killed you?   That's messed up.   I knew about 'quit', but 'quit test' seems a little bizarre.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Personal gripe I have is that you can't use PEMOTE while at neg hps, as well.
And yes, I have idea'd about it,
Join us. Come with us. We will teach you many things. Join us."

You don't even begin to understand my hatred of 'quit test'

It's ruined scenes that I was running.  That's all I'll say.
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

Yep, I lost a char to that as well.
May God have mercy on my foes, because I wont.

Quote from: "Cameron0202".... and your friend says that if you type quit, you die. So you wanna know if he is lying, so you type quit test. To your amazment works just as well as quit and kills you.

I am sorry but....roflmao

I mean, come on. Thats like touching something that's burning hot just to see if someone is lying when they tell you its HOT. I dont know about you, well I do by this post, but if someone tells ME that quitting will kill me if I am at neg hit points, I sure wouldnt want to TEST it.

Now that my giggles have subsided, I agree that quit test shouldnt cause you to die but quit should. Perhaps 'quit' and 'quit test' were seen as hand in hand when coded. That if you were checking to quit out, then you were most likely going to quit out. Perhaps keeping those that might 'quit test' to get out of a rp death or such from twinking out. I dont know. I am not an imm nor a coder. I hope you make another pc that you enjoy and now you know to avoid quit test in that circumstance.

My advice, if someone tells you it bites, dont go running up to pet it.
 staff member sends:
    "The mind you are trying to reach is disconnected or no longer in service.
If you feel you have reached this recording in error... trust us. We know. = message A-16"

Honestly, I'd have to agree with Ayashah on this one.

1) You were warned, OOCly, that typing 'quit' would kill your character.

2) You could have checked the 'Quit' helpfiles, which states, quite clearly:
QuoteIf you quit out (or quit test) while your character is at negative hit
  points, the character will die.

3) While I agree that the death sucks, I'm not sure I would 100% qualify it as "The code raping you". The code raping you might be something closer to someone -else- typing 'quit test' in the room, and you dying; your NPC clanmates attacking you, instead of your attacker (and killing you); or possibly even commiting an act you wouldn't percieve as bringing on death, but it does (like looking at a plant, in Allanak, and then the guards run in and kill you). On the last point, its important to emphasize that ALOT of things that a character on Zalanthas may not percieve will kill them, in fact, will...but exteremely odd scenarios are best double-checked with the Mud.

I'd hate to say it, but I think you raped yourself in this instance.

However - I, too, think having death get fired on 'quit test' is kind of silly, and I'm not sure why its coded that way. I imagine its in there for a good reason (like it may be too difficult to strip 'test' from the 'quit' command, and it just fires on any instance of 'quit') for it to be left in there, though.

Its very possible (assuming you haven't made a new character by now) that you could always email the Mud, and report it as a bug, and request a resurection of the character. I wouldn't hold my breath on that, though, since we typically don't hold ourselves accountable for player mistakes - and technically, in this instance, its something you did, to yourself.
Tlaloc
Legend

I did that when my char died to a quit test, a couple months ago, no reply at all, so I assume they wont do anything bout it.
May God have mercy on my foes, because I wont.

I must be way off, but I thought negative hit points were a bug in and of themselves.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

No, having negative hitpoints is known as being "mortally wounded".  It means that you are knocked out and unable to act.  I believe that it also means that you're unable to recover without additional means ie. magick/bandaging, but I could be wrong.  If your negative hit points go too low then you are dead permanantly with no chance to recover other than staff intervention.  And that only occurs on rare instances.  Usually when a bug kills someone.

You can in fact recover from negative hits but only those with the most intense endurance usually make it. You can with a poor endurance as well, but the odds are of course poor.

And negative hit points it pretty well so much blood loss, bone breakage etc that even if you do pull out of it, you had best rp bieng a freaking cripple or missing an arm after it.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Even if you were healed by magical means, you might want to rp some permanent damage. A LONG time ago, atleast 4yrs I think now, I had a pc fall 4 rooms down off a cliff but didnt die. She was at neg hit points but they brought a mage to assist after they rp'd straightening her bones. I received a tell from an imm saying that she would have perm damage to her leg. I was cool with that and also impressed that the imm trusted me enough to not take climb and etc off my skill list. (he had said he would) I, of course, never used any coded skill I had that would involve agility after that.

My point being, a mage or templar 'healing' you with magic doesnt mean it was like wolverine and everything went back to normal after such a trama. Injuries can be fun to rp also. I still see the long dagger I wrote up that went inside her cane for sale in a shop to this day. *ponders*  I havent contributed in npcs or objects in awhile. I think I will have to get off me arse and get creative.

:)
 staff member sends:
    "The mind you are trying to reach is disconnected or no longer in service.
If you feel you have reached this recording in error... trust us. We know. = message A-16"