In the mind of your character.

Started by Solas, September 14, 2004, 02:53:26 PM

:D  Does anyone like writing journals for their character, or update their background regularly? I've been trying that recently and to tell you the truth, it helps alot in developing your character. Anyone else do the same? Also, is the staff interested in recieving things like that?  :P

I do make complicated plans to what to do next in my idle/logged out time, but no. I don't send them to the imms if that's not a huge difference.

And all the time I die before I can accomplish all my plans
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

I think the staff would be interested in major changes to how your character is going to act, but if it's just story telling, I think they've got enough to do. I reccomend saving them, and submitting them later when your character is dead, maybe they'll make it onto the webpage.

Now, when you say writing a journal, do you mean summarizing what he did recently in zalanthas? That's interesting, I just log. Maybe I should try that.

I wish all we could have journals in Armworld to write in, it would be cool to find someones journal from 4 Rl years back and see what they had done and read up on their adventures ICly but unfortunately commoners are forbiden to read&write so  :cry:

If we ever get drawing, characters can draw their lives on the walls of the Commons.

Quote from: "Dresan"I wish all we could have journals in Armworld to write in, it would be cool to find someones journal from 4 Rl years back and see what they had done and read up on their adventures ICly but unfortunately commoners are forbiden to read&write so  :cry:

if your character had an exciting event, and he's the type, I'm going to reccomend telling the story IG to a bard, perhaps he'll make a song or story out of it that'll give your char some immortality.

That'd be neat, walking along one day in another character to hear the story of a former character told by a bard. Heheheh.

I think bards are underused as tellers of history. I know a few of my character couldn't give a damn about song and dance and music, but would be mighty interested in stories of battles and plots of old.

Alternatively, even without bards, oral history is sorely lacking in this game. I'd love to see much more of it. (maybe it's there, but i haven't seen it.)

You know what would be a good thing to have in this game, IG boards that represent bards, that way when you do something exciting you can tell your story as if you had told a bard, submit it and it can be posted on this board, that way when a person has no one to interact with on the  bar they have your story to "listen" to.  

1. Stories would be unique to that bar, different bars would have different stories.

2. A story that might belong in Sun King's Sanctuary might not belong at the tembo tooth.

3. These boards would be different to the current boards we have since they would not be deleted and saved for as long as the game runs

Problem is that stories would have to be submitted for approval before they are posted and this means more work for imms and the fact that the stories would pile up after a while. At 50 stories per board we may have alot of boards to go through eventually, though this may not be so bad considering the all memories that would be saved.

Save up a few good stories/songs.
Submit a NPC bard.
Submit the songs/stories for the NPC bard.
Have a viable location for said NPC bard.

Tada! We're already set up to do it.

Why not find a PC bard, make friends with them, and tell them the stories of your exciting and interesting deeds?
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

PC bards tend to eventually...well,die...or possibly retire and there goes your immortality with it.  NCP bards sounds like a relatively good idea but  it isn't as practical or as convinient to others as a board at the bar might be, though i'll probably end up making one, i really would like to tell the misadventures of my various characters.

I use to try and keep a journal for my character. I would write it as if it was normal for my character to know how to write and he was keeping a journal detailing his thoughts of people and events of the day.

I wish I was more disciplined with it though, as it is it only captured a mere fragment of what my character did, and now I wished I did jot down more so that I could look over it now.

Think of it as novelizing your logs.

Quote from: "Tmp"I use to try and keep a journal for my character. I would write it as if it was normal for my character to know how to write and he was keeping a journal detailing his thoughts of people and events of the day.

I wish I was more disciplined with it though, as it is it only captured a mere fragment of what my character did, and now I wished I did jot down more so that I could look over it now.

Think of it as novelizing your logs.

Did I mention it really helped create a thorough character and a foundation to roleplay on?  :wink:

Although, mine were more of the major events that have taken place so far. Also, writing journals of what might have occured with my character in the past (such as childhood memories) before I actually created him/her helped just as much, if not more.

I wouldn't mind reading more stories posted in the original submissions. ( http://www.armageddon.org/original/ ) Do people still write things like this? Thoughs and the player logs did alot in motivating roleplay for me at least. Of course, you can't have too much IC info involved in such public stories like thoughs.  :D

Incidentally, if you're inclined to journal your character like this, these journals can be really useful tools for the staff.  I've had only a couple of characters that sent me weekly-ish journals in this prose, stream-of-consciousness style.  It's a fantastic way to reveal your character to the staff, and is especially useful to your clan staff.  It's also, of course, a really stellar way to flesh out your character somewhat more deeply than you might be able to manage in-game.

I once had a character that could have kept a journal.  He thought about it many times.  He deliberately chose not to because he was a paranoid freak.

That doesn't mean that you can't keep a journal OOC for a character, which I did do for this character to some small amount.  Notable events in his life and what he thought about some of them.  Submitting this soft of thing to the staff for entry into Wiki could help preserve your character post mortis as well.
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

I keep extensive character notes.  But it's the details that make RP fun for me, so I revel in that.  When I feel something important has evolved or changed, I let my immortal know.  Something that will affect her behavior, outlook, goals, etc.  A lot of that can be addressed with the think command.
he last thing in the world I want to do is to hurt you...
but it's still on the list.

Quote from: "Solas":D  Does anyone like writing journals for their character, or update their background regularly? I've been trying that recently and to tell you the truth, it helps alot in developing your character. Anyone else do the same? Also, is the staff interested in recieving things like that?  :P

Playing from Europe, I've had extended periods of solo-rp and idleness as well. (I tend to think now that it's a better idea to log off when I run out of things to rp for myself, but at that time I remained logged as 'anchor' for a small, locked-in iso-group to stop the "log in-noone there-log out" (repeat with all chars of the group until noone logs in again) routine.)
Musing on my chars background or writing arm/char related stuff was something that helped me a lot to stay tuned enough with my char to be able to react to whoever actually might pop up after hours of idleness. I've written a little (fictional) story taking place during the "pre-creation background" of the char during that time, painted maps/places in watercolors to get a more consistent feel of my surroundings, tried to find out what kind of crawlies might  coexist there, and things like that.
At the moment I'm trying to fill in the gaps in the story/history, but since at the moment I don't feel responsible to keep others from disappearing from the game, I also found it a lot more enjoyable to do that while not logged on, and reserve the times when I'm logged for playing.

I'm not staff, but I hopefully won't get kissed for quoting them:
QuoteFrom the weekly update
We're still soliciting player histories for the staff documentation. Anything's fair game for a write-up of your character. What do you want remembered about your character? What did s/he do, and who did s/he interact with? What would other members of her/his clan remember, what stories would the grandchildren tell? Write-ups of past clans, including the slew of player-created desert elf tribes, are also quite welcome. Let us immortalize you. Send your emails to sanvean@armageddon.org.

Quo
code]
          .::7777::-.
         /:'////' `::>/|/
      .',  ||||   `/( e\
  -==~-'`-Xm````-mr' `-_\    Join the Save the Gurth campaign! [/code]