Rant: Mekillots and Bahamets

Started by Anonymous, September 06, 2004, 04:42:47 AM

Mekillot - mek'ee'lawt.

Bahamet - bah-hah-met.

Mekillots are MEKs because that is the first syllable in their name.  

Bahamets are -not- METs.  There is no such term as a MET and whoever
uses the word MET to refer to a bahamet should be shot.

In fact, I am currently working on a proposal for a special bit of coding that loads a maxed out gith warrior whenever the term 'met' is used in game.

Seriously, people...don't use that term.  It can just get very jarring, and it also costs Mekillots in coolness points, which is a Bad Thing.

Thank you.

I think it is not that important. My character could call bahamet "bahamet", "bah-bah", "´met", "big ugly thing", "bah´met" or "Really Big Tortoise Who Nearly Killed Me". Depends who my charcter is and what s/he thinks about... well... bahamets.  As well, s/he could call mekillot "mekillot" or "mek´" or "Oh, Am I Really Dead?".

Hmm... are you going to shoot me?  :shock:

Met!!!

People who whine about others using the first or the last syllables of a creature's name as a nickname for it...should be shot...in the genitalia...with a nail gun...loaded with rusty nails...coated with rock salt... :twisted:
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

And then their fingernails should be removed.

Seriously, what is wrong if I call it met or bahamet or the_turtle_who_kicks_ass_really_bad?

EDIT: For no reason
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "Ghost"Seriously, what is wrong if I call it met or bahamet or the_turtle_who_kicks_ass_really_bad?

'Met' is in fact the EXACT TRANSLATION for "the turtle who kicks ass really bad" in an ancient, now-defunct language of the Gol Krathu region. While Muk Utep killed the last of its speakers in the unification of the area and founding of Tuluk, this ONE WORD has survived and integrated into Sirihish. Just goes to show you that language is a dynamic, changing thing.  :twisted:

To the original ballless scrot who anon posted this, I have only the wise, wise words of Henry "Hammerin Hank" Rollins for you:

"Man, shut the fuck up."

We'll call it whatever the hell we want, we'll dance if we want to.  And I'm backing Jacques on this one.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Isn't this an IC issue?  Seriously.

If some character is calling them mets as some colloquialism then tell the character they sound ignorant.

I don't see what the issue is at all.

Umm, why can't they be called 'Mets by somebody? I don't get it. Seems like a pretty logical constriction to me. Allanak is shortened to 'Nak after all. Maybe sounds a little similar to Mek but if somebody shouts out to you, "Shite! Look out for that Met behind you!", you're probably not going to stand there and shout back, "Whoa, now just wait a minute.. did you say -Mek- or -Met-?".
You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink" Dydactylos' philosophical mix of the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans (Small Gods, Terry Pratchett)

i think it's a stretch.

Bahamet to met.

Plus, it makes me think of baseball. And I don't even like new york.

But yea, best way to deal with this is IC ridicule.

"a met? What the fuck is a met?"
"You know, a bahamet."
"What, you get that from your longneck fuck buddy? come on, it's a baHAmet. Met isn't even the stressed syllable in the name."

I agree with Boggis.

We have Allanak shortened to "Nak" the last syllable. I dont see why it would be a stretch for society's slang to shorten Bahamet to "Met" also the last syllable. Also there is obsidian, which is shortened to "sid" the middle syllable.

I dont think anyone has the authority to say what words your character shouldn't use to refer to something unless it was like a modern word, like calling a gortok Lassy or something.

There is nothing wrong with calling them Mets, get over it.

Quote from: "Jacques"'Met' is in fact the EXACT TRANSLATION for "the turtle who kicks ass really bad" in an ancient, now-defunct language of the Gol Krathu region. While Muk Utep killed the last of its speakers in the unification of the area and founding of Tuluk, this ONE WORD has survived and integrated into Sirihish. Just goes to show you that language is a dynamic, changing thing.  :twisted:

IC INFO!!!

Burn the witch!  Burn! :twisted:
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "Gilvar"I agree with Boggis.

We have Allanak shortened to "Nak" the last syllable. I dont see why it would be a stretch for society's slang to shorten Bahamet to "Met" also the last syllable. Also there is obsidian, which is shortened to "sid" the middle syllable.

I dont think anyone has the authority to say what words your character shouldn't use to refer to something unless it was like a modern word, like calling a gortok Lassy or something.

There is nothing wrong with calling them Mets, get over it.

The difference is the STRESSED syllable.
allaNAK
obSIDian
baHAmet.

Now, if you want to call them HA's, that's fine.

But honestly, it's four extra keys to make your meaning clear. Think about how many keys it takes you to explain it if some one thinks you're talking about a player on a new york baseball team.

QuoteThe difference is the STRESSED syllable.

And which syllable is stressed over the others depends on the person...not everyone is going to stress those same syllables that you pointed out.

Yeah, they might be utter and complete idiots. :P

How many people do you know that emphasize the second syllable in the word Tiger?  (That is, tie-GER).
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "jhunter"
QuoteThe difference is the STRESSED syllable.

And which syllable is stressed over the others depends on the person...not everyone is going to stress those same syllables that you pointed out.

No, that's why there are stress symbols in the pronunciations in dictionaries.

There might be one or two alternate ways to say it, but it isn't something -you- get to decide.

Unless, of course, the word doesn't exist in any dictionary. Then you say, "Immortals! How is this pronounced?" if you want to really press this matter.

I have no IC problems with anyone calling them 'mets...

But my opinion will change promptly the moment I EVER hear anyone call a defiler a "sorcie."

Cutsie nicknames for critters/people who can kill you with a stare belong in...

...some other game I won't mention here.

For now, 'met is fine - though it does tickle the back of my "worry synapses" for setting a bad precedence.

Roberta, the hobbitz sorcie who kills kobbies with twisties for their boxies.

Jesus you people are nit picky.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: "Armaddict"...

Jesus you people are nit picky.

KNIT PICKY! KNIT!!@!#

Just had to help prove the point.

Hmmmmm...

My characters have always called them 'Mets...it seems logical to me. Bah sounds like something a sheep does, and Ha...well...I'm not even going there. Therefore the only one syllable shortening left is 'Met. My "educated" character even called them 'Mets, it just feels natural to me.

I see nothing wrong with this, it is not like they are trying to cutesify the creatures or make them sound less intimidating...But again, I feel it is up to the player, if someone can come up with a better shortening that doesn't sound dumb, then I'll probably go with it, but until then, I'm going to stick with 'Met.
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz"That is, at least, a step in the right direction, even if it is a step off the Shield Wall."

To me, the whole thing is just this:

"Mek" is a mekillot thing.  It's probably also the reason why they are more popular (mentioned in IC speech) than, say, a gaj or a braxat.

Using "met" to try and do the same for bahamets is just redundant and cheap, and it costs the mekillots in Coolness Factor.

Bahamets are fine, but just give them their own thing instead of turning them into a cheap mekillot rip-off.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Sorry for the cantankerousness of other players.

I'll try to remember not to refer to Bahamets as Mets.
'm helpful to noobs, ask me questions, totally noob friendly.

"Mail mud@ginka.armageddon.org if you think you've crashed the game."

--Nessalin

And I on the other hand will be sure that none of my chars ever call them anything BUT Mets ever again.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

When I hear met I think of those commercials, "Get met, it pays."  I think met is some USAian insurance company.  Of course when I hear mek I think "Get mek, it pays" or sometimes "Get mek, it pains".

Anyway, I don't think there is confusion if you don't skimp on the apostrophes.  With the apostrophes 'met does not look too much like mek'.  Why shorten them?  Because when a bahamet or mekillot is nearby you don't have time for more than one sylable.  The only problem with that explanation is that Silt Horrors aren't reduced to one sylable too, and siltys are much scarrier than bahamets to me (gigantic tenticaled thing vs. gigantic tortiose).

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

QuoteAnd I on the other hand will be sure that none of my chars ever call them anything BUT Mets ever again.

Ditto.

QuoteThe only problem with that explanation is that Silt Horrors aren't reduced to one sylable too

Let's examine the facts. 'Silt horror' can be divided into 'silt', 'ho' and 'rorrr'. The first, while particularly deadly and man-eating, is about as frightening as a big pit you could fall into. 'ho' sounds a bit like 'whooa!', and is generally suggestive of what tentacle monsters do (at least on japanese TV), but I just can't picture that one silt sailor who'd talk about his perilous encounter with the dreaded ho'. Then there's "rorrr". While certainly dangerous in a swashbuckling way, it still doesn't inspire the fear and dignity associated with the creature. At best "rorrr" would be the thing you say when gurgling to death as the silt horror pulls you down.

You don't hear silt horror reduced to one sylable, but you do see them reduced to one word, and it's not silt:)
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: "X-D"You don't hear silt horror reduced to one sylable, but you do see them reduced to one word, and it's not silt:)

Does that word sound anything like "aaarrrrrrgh!"?

The only problem I can see with 'met for bahamet is the obvious temptation to make jokes about the Mets.  Or maybe that's only tempting for me...
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Ah, yet another beneficial side effect to not having a television and being completely uneducated in the area of professional sports.

When I see 'Met, I think of bahamet. ;)

I'm sure someone else has said this, but..

When -I- see 'met, I think someone typo'd.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "theebie"ain't it: Me-Kill-Lot ?

:)

That's the secret euphemism behind it, though its pronounced Mek-kill-lot
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

I'm going to call them 'mets from now on, as well.

Take that you pretentious nit-pickers.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

People are going to shorten the names of things no matter what, so would you anti-met people prefer 'baha'?

I've already brought this up..but I'd like to share this with everybody.

Mek and Mekillot are well known, and used as standards for the name of the creature.  People have been calling them that for the longest time.  Almost as long as the Labrynth has been called the 'Rinth, and 'Nak for Allanak.

Bahamets, on the otherhand, have only recently been called 'mets.  It's a character's style to call them that.  We don't want to knock style...but...
I think a better choice would of been 'hamet.

When we compair Mek and 'Met, the only difference is one letter.  K and T.  And, if you vocally slur your words, they almost sound the same, in real life.  This difference is also noted in text, and in a game where people typo frequently.  I, watching your characters role-play, am presented with a difficult task of deciding, OOCly, if you're talking about a Bahamet or a Mekillot, because of one letter of which you might of typoed.

I, as a player of this game, will try my hardest to present to everybody in the game exactly what I am doing, through emotes and through my speech.  If I am drunk, I might try and slur my words.  If I am from a rough part of time, I might speak in slang.  If it's not my original language, I might stick with simple words and phrases.

I, as a player of this game, will not use the word, 'Met', because I want to portray my information as clear as possible to the vast majority of players that play the game, including those who for them, english is a second, or third language.

Anyways, that's just me.  You can do what you damn well please.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I used to call Bahamets simply Baha's but some students of the Tor Academdy died to one on spring break.

Then I changed and called them Bahahaha's but Halaster thought I was laughing at him and pkilled me.

I tried just calling the Bahamen until the bardic group by the same name began singing "Who let the Gortok out" and I was chased out of Tuluk.

I tried calling the Mets but mansa kept yelling "All your first base are belong to me!"

I tried calling them Hamet but some elf from the shakespear tribe threatened to take a pound of my flesh.

Finally I tried calling them The Grande Supremo El'Hugeo Tortoise Thingy but Starbucks sued me for using their trade-marked coffee cup size.

Now I just call them Ed.

The Bushranger.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

My char never thought of ways of shortening a bahamet's name. Maybe it's because that creature would kill me in a very short time. I remember my first encounter with that.... It was something like "l armored....*gulp*.. run;w;w;w;w;w"
My characters usually prefer even more stressing the word with stars or underlines, capitals etc. "As I said; he was killed by a BAHAMET you fool, not me. I don't have huge claws, you see?"
But from now on, I guess I'll start using 'met as a nick for _bahamet_.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

I dont see anything wrong with 'met, true you could get it confused with mek, but honestly, does it really matter.  They are both very big deadly creatures, that try to kill you on site.
May God have mercy on my foes, because I wont.

Bahamuts are a nuisance.  They're always all like, "kill your ranger pal, eat your kank, cast Mega Flare on you" and most of the time I'm not even playing a class with Reflect.

This is the beating of many dead critters, not merely limited to horses.

Asked & answered, with some humor and flames already thrown in.

Though personally "'met" makes me think of a cancer metastasis, that merely reflects my job bias.  For now, we don't really care WHAT your character calls them, so long as it's Zalanthan and not, like, "Barbie."

Locking this thread.  Raise it again if you really think you've got something completely new to add.

-Savak
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]